Spark Plug help

Old September 26th 04, 07:57 PM
schism

Default Spark Plug help

I have a '92 Black and Tan and need to replace the plugs. When we
bought the car a little over 3k ago we were told the plugs had just
been replaced. But now I want to swap them and was wondering if some
of you would share your thoughts as to the best ones to get. I have
used split fires on a daytona shelbly turbo z I had and they worked
well but don't know about this engine.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
http://miata.0catch.com

Old September 27th 04, 12:23 AM
Jim Mc Donald

I use Bosch Double Platinum with good results, both in economy and power.

--
May there always be work for your hands to do;
May your purse always hold a coin or two;

Old September 28th 04, 06:16 PM
Chris D'Agnolo

I believe the Split fire to be a gimmic. Bosch are generally considered
great plugs and platinum is good but I've had several experts tell that
NGK's work best in this (and most) Japanese engines.

Why would you be changing 'nearly new' plugs anyway?

Problem?

Extra cash?

Send it to me!

Chris
92BB&T

. ..

Old September 28th 04, 10:51 PM
Larry Gadbois

If your Miata has the original plug wires, be sure to replace them. When
the wires fail, the result can be a damaged coil pack, O2 sensor, and cat
converter.

Old September 29th 04, 03:07 AM
schism

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:16:42 -0500, "Chris D'Agnolo"
> wrote:

>I believe the Split fire to be a gimmic. Bosch are generally considered
>great plugs and platinum is good but I've had several experts tell that
>NGK's work best in this (and most) Japanese engines.
>
>Why would you be changing 'nearly new' plugs anyway?
>
>Problem?
>
>Extra cash?
>
>Send it to me!
>
>Chris
>92BB&T

LOL wish it was spare cash. But I get the feeling that the plugs are
not as new as he said they were and lets face it it's cheap insurance.

Bill
http://miata.0catch.com
Old September 29th 04, 03:08 AM
schism

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:51:57 GMT, "Larry Gadbois"
> wrote:

>If your Miata has the original plug wires, be sure to replace them. When
>the wires fail, the result can be a damaged coil pack, O2 sensor, and cat
>converter.

The plug wires are blue and look to be in good shape and I seem to
remember that on the 92 the oem wires were black so I am assumeing
they are newer,but, as with the plugs they are a bit of cheap
insurance.

Bill
http://miata.0catch.com

Old September 29th 04, 11:56 PM
dookie

i had nothing but bad luck with bosh platinum in my nissan v6. i didn't
want to believe they sucked so bad, and i replaced a lot of other ignition
parts trying to cure misfires under load. then i replaced the plugs with
the same (surely two sets wouldn't both suck). then i put in plain ole' ngk
copper and the truck ran better than it ever had.

my '99 sport gets nothing but ngk copper extended reach (on magnecore
wires), and runs beautifully.

fwiw,

dookie

Old October 4th 04, 05:53 PM
jackofspeed

i have replaced mine with bosch double platinums, they work and feel great
every time i strat her up.....
easy to replace. if you want i can show you some pics...
rule of thumb is to replace every 30,000 miles