Are glass rear windows standard?

Old September 15th 04, 06:07 AM
Rivergoat

Default Are glass rear windows standard?

Starting to think if I can afford to sell my aging Honda, I want to
look seriously at a Miata. Was wondering if the recent NB models have
glass rear windows, or is that strictly aftermarket?

Also, what tips for soft top preservation (other than a car cover,
which I would consider). I don't have covered parking and would hate
to accelerate top wear.

TIA
Old September 15th 04, 06:15 AM
Chief_Wiggum

Yes, 99+ (NB) all have glass winders...

Old September 15th 04, 12:19 PM
Rivergoat

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:15:12 -0700, "Chief_Wiggum" >
wrote:

>Yes, 99+ (NB) all have glass winders...

Hmmm, winders? I was hoping for a little more power to the car than
perhaps a rubber band *:P
Old September 15th 04, 02:20 PM
Leon van Dommelen

Rivergoat > wrote:

>Starting to think if I can afford to sell my aging Honda, I want to
>look seriously at a Miata. Was wondering if the recent NB models have
>glass rear windows,

Yes.

> or is that strictly aftermarket?
>
>Also, what tips for soft top preservation (other than a car cover,
>which I would consider). I don't have covered parking and would hate
>to accelerate top wear.

Keep it clean with mild soap.

> [...]
>as a coupe instead of a convertible. If I can lower the top on the
>Cassiar Highway without a loss of luster that you can see with the
>top down, I do not see how anything could affect this.]
>
>NEVER: Allow the top to simply drop after you unlatch it. Instead,
>lower it gently. [Pay attention here, folks! I always do this.]
>
>ALWAYS: Unzip the rear window before lowering the top. But unzip
>only AFTER you unlatch the top to relieve pressure on the zipper.
>[Another good one! I always do this! I would not want to imagine
>what would happen if I lowered the top without unzipping my glass
>window.]
>
>ALWAYS: store your top in the "up" position overnight or for long
>periods of time. This reduces changes it will shrink and preserve
>the tops proper contours. It also helps prevent permanent creasing
>formed in the "down" position. The creasing can cause accelerated
>wear. [Good one! It also helps prevent this abomination of Miatas
>with hard tops!]
>
>ALWAYS: Clean the soft top before storing it. [Storing the soft top??
>Not in Florida!]
>
>ALWAYS: Pull out creases in the lowered top. Otherwise permanent
>creases may form. [Seems OK to me. Idiotic stuff snipped.]
>
>ALWAYS: Cover the top with the boot cover when it is lowered. The
>cover prevents against sun damage and greatly extends the life of
>both the top and the rear window. [But the time involved comes
>out of *my* life!] It also reduces wind resistance [Sure, if I
>lived in Germany!] and can be more aesthetically pleasing. [Right
>on!] [How about it preventing a stiff neck, ear infections and
>pneumonia!?!]
>
>NEVER: expose the top to an automatic car wash. The brushes can
>damage the top and rear plastic window. [How about touchless
>car washes, huh? Answer me that!]
>
>NEVER: Use spray wax on the top. Especially harmful: spray wax in
>automatic car washes. It can eventually damage the top and rear
>window. Instead, use a water-based leather treatment or vinyl top
>dressing. If wax gets on the top, remove it with a good leather
>cleaner. [I WAS RIGHT! IT DOES SAY LEATHER CLEANER!]
>
>NEVER: Use penetrating-type vinyl preservatives or top dressings.
>Generally, anything that can give the top a wet or slick look
>may be harmful. Such treatments may actually attract dirt or
>dry out the top's material prematurely. [I guess, there goes
>Slick 50 as a potential top treatment.]
>
>[Lots of junk about "Caring for the Plastic Window" that should
>have explained to swap it for a glass one. Snipped.]
>
>ALWAYS: Enjoy many happy hours of top-down motoring miles!
>[In which case you cannot see the top anyway.]
>
>For questions or comments, call your local Mazda dealer.
>[And ask if they know someone who has a clue.]
>
>================================================= ==========
>
>Leon
>--
>Leon van Dommelen Bozo, the White 96 Sebring Miata .)

Don't take it too seriously.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 15th 04, 02:37 PM
Mike

My experience is that the sun does more damage than any other weather
element to soft tops and especially ones
with vinyl rear windows. Tree sap and bird droppings are also bad. Keep it
covered and clean, if the cover
gets wet u must remove it to let the cover and top breath and dry, very
important.

Old September 15th 04, 05:41 PM
Natman

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 22:07:24 -0700, Rivergoat >
wrote:

>Starting to think if I can afford to sell my aging Honda, I want to
>look seriously at a Miata. Was wondering if the recent NB models have
>glass rear windows, or is that strictly aftermarket?
>
>Also, what tips for soft top preservation (other than a car cover,
>which I would consider). I don't have covered parking and would hate
>to accelerate top wear.
>
>TIA

Keep it clean and use a protectant such as 303 or STP Son-of-a-gun.
Old September 15th 04, 06:26 PM
jchase

Leon van Dommelen wrote:
> Rivergoat > wrote:
>>
>>Also, what tips for soft top preservation (other than a car cover,
>>which I would consider). I don't have covered parking and would hate
>>to accelerate top wear.

> Keep it clean with mild soap.

sly.

> Leon

I have a '99 (first year of the glass-window top) and have used it as a
daily driver for five years, with a hardtop on roughly from Thanksgiving
to April each year. The car is garaged at home, but in open parking at
all other stopping places. The only deterioration of my top at this
time is slight fading of the forward inner surface (which faces up when
folded). This is likely due to the fact that I virtually never use the
clumsy boot cover, so the folded top is always exposed to sunlight. The
exterior of the top is fine, with only periodic washing using the same
"car cleaners" I use for the rest of the vehicle.

I might add that the glass-window top (factory and aftermarket) may fit
the 1990-1997 cars in most cases, but installing wiring for the
defroster would be a considerable pain.

Joe
Silver '99

Old September 15th 04, 07:17 PM
TBG

"jchase" > wrote in message
> Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>> Rivergoat > wrote:
>>>
>>>Also, what tips for soft top preservation (other than a car cover,
>>>which I would consider). I don't have covered parking and would hate
>>>to accelerate top wear.

>> Keep it clean with mild soap.
>>

> sly.
>>
>> Leon
>>

> I have a '99 (first year of the glass-window top) and have used it as a
> daily driver for five years, with a hardtop on roughly from Thanksgiving
> to April each year. The car is garaged at home, but in open parking at
> all other stopping places. The only deterioration of my top at this time
> is slight fading of the forward inner surface (which faces up when
> folded). This is likely due to the fact that I virtually never use the
> clumsy boot cover, so the folded top is always exposed to sunlight. The
> exterior of the top is fine, with only periodic washing using the same
> "car cleaners" I use for the rest of the vehicle.
>
> I might add that the glass-window top (factory and aftermarket) may fit
> the 1990-1997 cars in most cases, but installing wiring for the defroster
> would be a considerable pain.
>
> Joe
> Silver '99

My '97 has the wiring and switch already installed for the defroster, for
use with the hardtop IIRC. Many 90-97 cars may have the same.

Old September 16th 04, 12:19 AM
jchase

TBG wrote:
> "jchase" > wrote in message

>>>Keep it clean with mild soap.
>>>

>>sly.
>>
>>>Leon
>>>

>>I have a '99 (first year of the glass-window top) and have used it as a
>>daily driver for five years, with a hardtop on roughly from Thanksgiving
>>to April each year. The car is garaged at home, but in open parking at
>>all other stopping places. The only deterioration of my top at this time
>>is slight fading of the forward inner surface (which faces up when
>>folded). This is likely due to the fact that I virtually never use the
>>clumsy boot cover, so the folded top is always exposed to sunlight. The
>>exterior of the top is fine, with only periodic washing using the same
>>"car cleaners" I use for the rest of the vehicle.
>>
>>I might add that the glass-window top (factory and aftermarket) may fit
>>the 1990-1997 cars in most cases, but installing wiring for the defroster
>>would be a considerable pain.
>>
>>Joe
>>Silver '99
>>

> My '97 has the wiring and switch already installed for the defroster, for
> use with the hardtop IIRC. Many 90-97 cars may have the same.

Oops, I forgot that- and many cars have become separated from their
hardtops over the years. Look for pigtail and plug behind the drivers
headrest.

Joe
Silver '99