Need help with 1990 4-sale

Old September 8th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Sean[_2_]

Default Need help with 1990 4-sale

Hi everyone -- I'm a newbie here; never owned a Miata before.

Lately I've gotten interested in buying a 2-seat roadster
and I found a 1990 for sale in (what looks like) good shape.
The seller (a car salesman himself) wants $7500 Canadian obo
+ $1500 for an accessory hard top.

I took it for a test drive and mostly liked it, except I found
the steering a bit heavy (I'm used to power steering, so that
could be a factor).

It's got a recently-installed rebuilt motor (if I can believe
the guy).

Problem is I'm new to sports cars and don't know what questions
to ask. I'm in the Vancouver area and want something for short range
touring and winter commuting (summertime I ride a motorbike to work).

I'd like to get the hard roof along with the car, but it hasn't
rained around here for weeks so I don't know how to find out
if both of the roofs are watertight.

Any help appreciated.

TIA, Sean_Q_
Old September 8th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Remove This

Offer him the 75, only IF he throws in the top. Make like you don't NEED the
top.

GIVE HIM/HER TIME TO THINK..

negotiate up to 80... then walk.

Never know....

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

Old September 8th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Hughes

Sean > wrote in :

> Hi everyone -- I'm a newbie here; never owned a Miata before.
>
> Lately I've gotten interested in buying a 2-seat roadster
> and I found a 1990 for sale in (what looks like) good shape.
> The seller (a car salesman himself) wants $7500 Canadian obo
> + $1500 for an accessory hard top.
>
> I took it for a test drive and mostly liked it, except I found
> the steering a bit heavy (I'm used to power steering, so that
> could be a factor).
>
> It's got a recently-installed rebuilt motor (if I can believe
> the guy).
>
> Problem is I'm new to sports cars and don't know what questions
> to ask. I'm in the Vancouver area and want something for short range
> touring and winter commuting (summertime I ride a motorbike to work).
>
> I'd like to get the hard roof along with the car, but it hasn't
> rained around here for weeks so I don't know how to find out
> if both of the roofs are watertight.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> TIA, Sean_Q_

If you haven't been there yet, check out miata.net. In particular:
http://miata.net/faq/faq2.html#A
Lot's of great info there on what too look/watch out for when buying a
Miata. $7500 (~$6700 US) seems a bit high for a rebuilt 90 to me. A 90
in prime condition may be worth that much or more, but I'd be suprised if
one w/ a rebuilt engine is in prime condition. The prices listed by
edmunds.com or kbb.com are usually a good way to get an idea how much you
can expect to pay. Tho Miatas generally sell a bit above book value, so
you may just have to just shop around to see what the market is like
there.

Is there something in particular you like about the 90 model? You can
find on miata.net the changes between model years, but the 90-93 are
basically the same. 94-97 has the same body w/ a 1.8l engine (vs the
original 1.6). 1999 brought on the first significant body change. Test
drive several Miatas if you can. For the price you're looking at, I would
expect you could find anything from 1990 to maybe 2000 models. With a
budget around the $7500CDN range, I'd probably look for a 94 myself, tho
I'm a bit biased.

This may be a Blinding Flash of the Obvious to a Canadian, but if you're
looking at a Miata as a winter car, you'll most likely want to have 2
sets of wheels. One for winter & one for summer. W/ the right tires,
the very well balanced Miata does quite well. W/ old all-seasons like
the ones that were on mine when I bought it.. it doesn't go well.

-Scott
Black 94 B
Old September 8th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2006-09-08, Scott Hughes > wrote:

> This may be a Blinding Flash of the Obvious to a Canadian, but if you're
> looking at a Miata as a winter car, you'll most likely want to have 2
> sets of wheels. One for winter & one for summer. W/ the right tires,
> the very well balanced Miata does quite well. W/ old all-seasons like
> the ones that were on mine when I bought it.. it doesn't go well.

And more frighteningly, it doesn't stop well either.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! -- I love KATRINKA
at because she drives a
Old September 8th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Sean wrote:
> Hi everyone -- I'm a newbie here; never owned a Miata before.
>
> Lately I've gotten interested in buying a 2-seat roadster
> and I found a 1990 for sale in (what looks like) good shape.
> The seller (a car salesman himself) wants $7500 Canadian obo
> + $1500 for an accessory hard top.
>
> I took it for a test drive and mostly liked it, except I found
> the steering a bit heavy (I'm used to power steering, so that
> could be a factor).
>
> It's got a recently-installed rebuilt motor (if I can believe
> the guy).
>
> Problem is I'm new to sports cars and don't know what questions
> to ask. I'm in the Vancouver area and want something for short range
> touring and winter commuting (summertime I ride a motorbike to work).
>
> I'd like to get the hard roof along with the car, but it hasn't
> rained around here for weeks so I don't know how to find out
> if both of the roofs are watertight.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> TIA, Sean_Q_

Well, $7500 (~$6700 US) sounds little bit too much, I bought a 1991 in
Jan, 2006 for $4100.00 US, original owner, original motor, 102K miles,
looks and runs great.

Abid

Old September 9th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Zog The Undeniable

Sean wrote:

> Hi everyone -- I'm a newbie here; never owned a Miata before.
>
> Lately I've gotten interested in buying a 2-seat roadster
> and I found a 1990 for sale in (what looks like) good shape.
> The seller (a car salesman himself) wants $7500 Canadian obo
> + $1500 for an accessory hard top.
>
> I took it for a test drive and mostly liked it, except I found
> the steering a bit heavy (I'm used to power steering, so that
> could be a factor).

I thought all 1990 cars had PAS. Look under the hood/bonnet (whatever
you call it in Canada) for a PAS pump. If there is one, be afraid.
Old September 10th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
ron[_1_]

Old September 10th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
ron[_1_]

I don't know the rate of exchange of Canadian to US currency, but if I
was looking for a 1990 Miata with around a 100,000 miles and in pretty
decent shape and rust free, I would expect to pay around $3000 to $3500
in US dollars for it and $300 to $40 for a hard top. That is if I
bought it here in Alabam. Ron

Old September 10th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mitch[_1_]

Hi Sean:

Mitch from Victoria here. I owned a 1991 Miata Special Edition while living
in Vancouver, and just picked up an MX-5 GS a couple of weeks ago.

I bought my 91 Miata pre-owned, and while it had a hard top that I used in
December and January - I certainly didn't need it in Vancouver. It was nice
to have the larger rear window, less wind noise, and a different look for a
couple of months each year, but certainly not necessary, and I didn't get a
hard top with my MX-5.

Even with the hard top on in December and January, there are always those
sunny days where you want to spontaneously drop the top (I timed myself
yesterday, and it was well under two seconds!), and this can't be done with
the hard top affixed. Some people including myself also hold the opinion
that a rag-top looks better as a rag-top.

The heater for the small Miata cabin is very strong, and it's nice to have
the top down on a brisk sunny day with warm air flowing over you. If it's
thrown in with the car, or available re-owned for under $500, it would be a
neat accessory, but otherwise you probably don't need it (unless you take
frequent trips up to Prince George!).

With regards to the steering, that heavy or "direct" feeling is appropriate
for this type of car, and you will quickly come to appreciate the
responsiveness. I'm still getting reacquainted with driving a roadster after
owning a Jeep YJ for several years. Height, visibility, road handling,
acceleration, stick control, are all so different to most other cars you may
have driven.

If you really want to sell yourself on the car, drive along Beach Avenue in
the West End by those condos with mirrored glass. I still remember driving
home after work and seeing my reflection in the Miata with English Bay on
the other side. A very narcissistic moment!

While the price you quoted seems quite high (especially the hard top),
Miatas do tend to hold their value, and I've never seen a "beater" or even a
dirty Miata in British Columbia. People tend to look after these cars, and
I've certainly never owned any vehicle that cost as little to maintain.
After owning my 91 for about three years, I sold it in 1997 for more than I
paid for it, and the only money I put into the car was for two new tires,
and a turn signal bulb.

You may also consider that when buying from a dealer you have to pay GST in
addition to PST, and that adds several hundred dollars to the purchase
price.

Check your local Buy & Sell (www.buysell.com) for comparative pricing. Here
is an example of Miatas currently listed in your area for under $7,500. Hope
this helps .... Mitch:

1992 MAZDA MIATA conv, 2 doors, 5 speed, am/fm/CD stereo, ST, no rust, v gd
cond, AirCared, asking, $5200. Tel: 604-719-4874

1992 MAZDA MIATA MX-5, 5 spd, new batt, new top, new tires, well maint,
150,000 kms, exc cond, $7295. Tel: 604-254-8852

1992 MAZDA MIATA, 2dr, Convertible, White, Manual, FWD, Cylinder 4, Gas,
Alloy Wheels, AM/FM Stereo, Bucket Seats, CD Player Stock#H71-4432A
$7,995.00 Mertin Hyundai Tel: 604-702-1000

MIATA, RED, 5-SPEED MANUAL, new tires, new soft top, hardtop, one owner,
dealer serviced, 180,000km $7,200.00. North Vancouver. Tel: 778-772-4512

1991 MAZDA MIATA, British racing green, loaded, tan lthr int, cruise, a/c,
pw, ps, pb, am/fm CD, new tires, no accidents, 119,000 mi, ABS, ltd slip
diff, HT avail for extra $850, asking, $7100 obo. Tel: 604-736-4977

1991 MAZDA MIATA, 4 cyl, 5 spd, fresh red paint, new ST, glass back window,
CD player, alloys, 223,000 km, v nice cond, AirCared, save on taxes, v nice
cond, $5100 obo. Tel: 778-668-1559

1991 MAZDA MIATA, new clutch, brakes, excellent running condition, AirCared,
must sell, call Martin for details, $3700 obo.
Tel: 604-619-0909

1991 MAZDA MIATA CONVERTIBLE, 2 doors, auto, 119000 km, white ext, hard and
soft top, pwr windows, pwr steering, a/c, $6800 obo. 604-767-0036
604-767-0036 604-767-0036

1991 MAZDA MIATA, red ext, nice looking car, $4900. Tel: 604-315-1509

1991 MAZDA MIATA, Convertible, Red, Manual, RWD, 1.6L, Cylinder 4, All
Equipped, Are you ready for summer? Notice why people in convertibles always
seem to look forward to their next commute? Here is your chance to find your
smile on the way to work! Local car, no accidents, new top, (yes, its has
power steering), premium condition and priced so low you better hurry before
its you that has to watch someone else smiling in this car! was
$7995...Wait......Labour Day Long weekend blowout...on now!!! Hurry!!!!...
$5,850.00 CANEM AUTO GROUP. 5689 Byrne Rd, corner of Marine Way Burnaby.
Trade welcome. We finance, warranty. 1-877-922-9367 www.canemauto.com Tel:
604-439-9367

1991 MAZDA MIATA SOFT TOP, 158000kms, 2dr, Convertible, Red, Manual, RWD,
Cylinder 4, Gas, Alloy Wheels, CD Player, Power Brakes, Power Steering, This
is an excellent example of a Miata. New Tires and Clutch, and a 2 year old
soft top make this a beautiful car to own. Drives as good as it looks!
Stock#234977 $7,888.00 Milani Auto Sales, 6951 E. Hastings, toll free -
1-866-496-AUTO, check out www.milani.biz 140 cars & trucks to choose from!
We Buy,Sell,Trade and Finance Cars and Trucks. Tel: 604-291-7355

1990 MAZDA MIATA, SILVER, 5-spd, hardtop/softtop, 180,000 $4,000.00. obo.
Burnaby. Tel: 604-299-0766

1990 MAZDA MIATA. LOW mileage (140000) runs perfect, Female driver, parked
mostly underground. I'm the second owner and have been driving this car for
about 10 years, low maintenance; cheap on gas. I recently bought a new car.
Please feel free to call if you need more info. Sindy $5,300.00. obo.
vancouver bc. Tel: 604-722-7933

1990 MAZDA MIATA MX-5, 152,000kms, white, 5spd, JVC CD/stereo player, JVC
speakers, 16" BBS rims, NEW high end tires, very clean, extremely fuel
efficient, passed air-care very easily, garage kept. EMAIL ME OR CALL ME
WITH INQUIRIES $5,499.00. obo. Port Moody. Tel:
778-998-7242

1990 MZADIA MIATA MX5. Black, 153,000 kms, aircared, 5 speed, air intake
system, new still in the box slotted/cross drilled rotors and brake pads,
headrest speakers. $6,500.00. obo. Delta. Tel: 604-805-9102

1990 MAZDA MIATA MX-5 blk/blk, 176,000 kms local car w receipts, well maint,
AirCared, $6500 upgrades, 6CD, 8 skrs, Koni adjus shocks, racing beat cold
air, frame braces, helium whls, Toyo T1-S tires, exh, nds nothing,
everything works, $7400 obo. Tel: 604-688-8114

1990 MAZDA MIATA, 188488kms, 2dr, Convertible, White, Cylinder 4, Local, no
accidents $5,990.00 A.P.G Car Sales & Leasing 1348 Marine Drive (N.V) visit
us online
www.apgcars.com Tel: 604-983-2906

1990 MAZDA MIATA ROADSTAR Convertible, 2 dr, 2wd, 4 cyl, 1.6, Gas, 5 spd,
55000 kms Mazda Miata Like New Roadstar Silver with only 55000KM. Super
Clean like new. Momo Steering. Imported from Japan. Right Hand Drive. See to
beleive its condition. Recently inspected. Serviced.. $7200. Maximum
Overdrive Auto Importers DL#30432 www.MaxOverdrive.ca 604-726-3109 3411 NO 3
Rd, Richmond, BC tel: 604-726-3109

Old September 10th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Sean[_2_]

Thanks for the help everyone... looks like I'll be a while checking
things out.

Sean_Q_