Push Rod tubes Question - Help Please!

Old May 14th 05, 04:14 PM

Default Push Rod tubes Question - Help Please!

Hi!
I was doing a valve adjustment on my '73 Beetle the other day and I
noticed that my push rod tubes looked rusty, but they are not leaking.

The engine is about 7 years old, but only has about 11000 miles on it.

I was thinking of replacing the stock push rod tubes with a set of the
adjustable tubes with double o-rings and replace the o-rings every 3
years.

What is the best kind to buy, spring loaded or adjust a nut?

And what is the best brand or who sells the best ones?
Thanks In advance!
Sleepy Joe

Old May 14th 05, 04:59 PM
JJS

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi!
> I was doing a valve adjustment on my '73 Beetle the other day and I
> noticed that my push rod tubes looked rusty, but they are not leaking.
>
> The engine is about 7 years old, but only has about 11000 miles on it.

If they aren't leaking, I'd save a lot of grief by cleaning them very well
and painting them with POR.

Old May 14th 05, 07:29 PM
John Willis

On Sat, 14 May 2005 10:59:10 -0500, "JJS" >
scribbled this interesting note:

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Hi!
>> I was doing a valve adjustment on my '73 Beetle the other day and I
>> noticed that my push rod tubes looked rusty, but they are not leaking.
>>
>> The engine is about 7 years old, but only has about 11000 miles on it.

>If they aren't leaking, I'd save a lot of grief by cleaning them very well
>and painting them with POR.

Besides, kind of like the factory original bails that hold the valve
covers on, the original design seems to be best.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old May 14th 05, 09:14 PM
Joey Tribiani

"John Willis" > wrote in message

> Besides, kind of like the factory original bails that hold the valve
> covers on, the original design seems to be best.
>

> --
> John Willis
> (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

my most recent rebuild i put stock tubes on.....a few months later and about
600 miles two are leaking...<sigh>....time to get the bailing wire out...

Old May 14th 05, 10:58 PM
John Willis

On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:14:44 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
scribbled this interesting note:

>"John Willis" > wrote in message
>

>> Besides, kind of like the factory original bails that hold the valve
>> covers on, the original design seems to be best.
>>

>> --
>> John Willis
>> (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

>my most recent rebuild i put stock tubes on.....a few months later and about
>600 miles two are leaking...<sigh>....time to get the bailing wire out...

I've never had that problem. Wonder if it is due to the crappy quality
of the seals available these days?

Old May 15th 05, 12:18 AM
Joey Tribiani

"John Willis" > wrote in message

> I've never had that problem. Wonder if it is due to the crappy quality
> of the seals available these days?
>

> --

not sure John, but will use the same technique my dear ole dad taught me
when i first got into vw's....bailing wire in the grooves of the
"bellows"....he used this back in he 70's when it was time to sell his 70
type 1.... said the five minutes spent brought twice the selling price,
because people would pay more for one that didn't leak oil...like it was
rare....LOL

Old May 15th 05, 02:32 AM

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "John Willis" > wrote in message
>

> > I've never had that problem. Wonder if it is due to the crappy

quality
> > of the seals available these days?
> >

> > --

> not sure John, but will use the same technique my dear ole dad taught

me
> when i first got into vw's....bailing wire in the grooves of the
> "bellows"....he used this back in he 70's when it was time to sell

his 70
> type 1.... said the five minutes spent brought twice the selling

price,
> because people would pay more for one that didn't leak oil...like it

was
> rare....LOL

I've always been told, and have passed along to my son, that if a vw
engine isn't leaking a little oil, it has a major problem...it's out of
oil!

<><
TC

Old May 15th 05, 02:33 AM
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> I've always been told, and have passed along to my son, that if a vw
> engine isn't leaking a little oil, it has a major problem...it's out of
> oil!
>
> <><
> TC

alot of vw folks actually believe that...but trust me you don't *have* to
have a leaky vw....you can choose to fix the leaks...properly...

Old May 15th 05, 06:18 AM
geoffers

Did you expand those "bellows" or "accordion" sections of the stock tubes
before installing as well as use brand new seals? I like to expand each
"bellows" section at least a centimeter so that as I torque the heads
down, the tube seals get nicely compressed.

Geoffe Elias
'74 Super Beetle

Old May 15th 05, 06:32 AM
geoffers

My feeling is that this is one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
times. Anyways, look at this guy's:
http://www.i405.com/vw/stand/tin_pushrod1.jpg

I painted my pushrod tubes flat black as an experiment in heat transfer,
but, I guess I did it for looks as well. As for those adjustable tubes:
I've always thought that they were only to be used as a emergency band-aid
till you can get your engine rebuilt, otherwise, use the good 'ol stock
tubes.

Geoffe Elias
'74 Super Beetle

On 14 May 2005 08:14:04 -0700,