Transmission Shifts Hard - Valve Body?

Old August 16th 04, 09:17 PM
Gary Compton

Default Transmission Shifts Hard - Valve Body?

My 93 SL1 with SOC engine began shifting hard recently. I've been told that
it is probably the "valve body", which is exterior to the transmission. Has
anyone out there had experience in changing one of these? Is it easy to get
to and is it a hugh job? Its a $1200 job at local Lee Myles transmission
shop. I can get the valve body and actuators for about $550. Any helpful
comments will be appreciated.
Gary

Old August 16th 04, 10:52 PM
jdoe

It's not a HARD job but not necessarily one to be taken on by someone who is
inexperienced either. FWIW I bought the VB for my own at the dealer and it
was only $195 after core charge. It took me about 2.5 hours to do on my SL2
but that was because of 2 things 1. I spent alot of time exploring things
and the VB itself. 2. It was the first time I've ever looked under the hood
of a Saturn. I do have alot of wrenching experience though and am well
equipped for tools because of it. FWIW if I had to do it again I could get
it done in 30 to 45 min.
Larry

Old August 16th 04, 11:31 PM
riz

I had a quote from a local trans shop two years ago they wanted about $400
for the job.

Old August 16th 04, 11:54 PM
Gary Compton

Thanks to all for the good information. One more question. About half the
price of $550 I was quoted for the parts was for the actuators. How can I
tell if the actuators need to be changed along with the valve body? Does
anyone other than the dealer sell these parts?
Gary

Old August 17th 04, 12:24 AM
Blah Blah

You can check the shift solenoids with an Ohm Meter. You will need to
know their values at a given temperature which should be given in a good
manual. From my TranX 2000 documentation the resistance of each should
be the following.

There is 7 actuators and it list them with all the same values.

TAAT Transmission

91-92 2.5 Ohms Cold / 4.4 Ohms Hot

93-up 4.0 Ohms Cold / 6.0 Ohms Hot

In article >,
says...

Old August 20th 04, 02:49 AM
Gary Compton

Hi Larry:

I have a couple of questions about replacing the valve body on a 93’ SL1
SOHC. I haven’t been able to find a manual that covers this subject – do
you have a recommendation? Haynes doesn’t cover transmissions, nor does
Chilton. Chilton has a tranny manual, but doesn’t cover Saturn. My local
library has ALLDATA, which has a some transmission information, but doesn’t
cover removing the VB. If I can’t find a manual, is the removal simple
enough to be done without? I’m hoping that the removal process will be
obvious and that if I reverse the process I will be able to get the
replacement on. I assume the VB is under the plate on top of the
transmission – is that correct? Any other advise?

Thanks much,

Gary

Old August 21st 04, 07:04 PM
Gary Compton

Thanks Larry:

I found a Saturn 91-94 factory transmission manual on E-Bay for $9.50,
including shipping.

Gary
"Blah Blah" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
> > Hi Larry:
> >
> > I have a couple of questions about replacing the valve body on a 93=3F

SL1
> > SOHC. I haven=3Ft been able to find a manual that covers this subject

=3F do
> > you have a recommendation? Haynes doesn=3Ft cover transmissions, nor

does
> > Chilton. Chilton has a tranny manual, but doesn=3Ft cover Saturn. My

local
> > library has ALLDATA, which has a some transmission information, but

doesn=3Ft
> > cover removing the VB. If I can=3Ft find a manual, is the removal

simple