Two oil warning lights on '84 Reliant?

Old October 1st 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
William R. Walsh

Default Two oil warning lights on '84 Reliant?

I had the car parked just so the sun was shining through the rear window
when I happened to notice something. There is a row of three indicator lamps
between the speedometer and fuel/charge/water temp gauges. On my car they
are unused--the bottom two being for "door open" and "gate open". The manual
explains these well enough, stating that door open is only for commercial
vehicles and gate open is for wagons.

The topmost indicator is not mentioned, but with the sun shining on it, I
could clearly see that it has an icon for oil pressure in it. That makes no
sense at all considering that an oil pressure indicator already exists at
the far right of the cluster.

Why is there a second oil pressure warning area? Was it used in another
vehicle model? Or is it just for slow learners? <g>

William

Old October 1st 07, 08:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"William R. Walsh" m>
wrote in message news:Ml_Li.112315$Xa3.87922@attbi_s22...
> I had the car parked just so the sun was shining through the rear window
> when I happened to notice something. There is a row of three indicator

lamps
> between the speedometer and fuel/charge/water temp gauges. On my car they
> are unused--the bottom two being for "door open" and "gate open". The

manual
> explains these well enough, stating that door open is only for commercial
> vehicles and gate open is for wagons.
>
> The topmost indicator is not mentioned, but with the sun shining on it, I
> could clearly see that it has an icon for oil pressure in it. That makes

no
> sense at all considering that an oil pressure indicator already exists at
> the far right of the cluster.
>
> Why is there a second oil pressure warning area? Was it used in another
> vehicle model?

Probably. Probably the stylist decided to move the pressure indicator and
the bean counters decided to reuse the same dash plastic.

Ted

Old October 1st 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"William R. Walsh" m>
wrote in message news:Ml_Li.112315$Xa3.87922@attbi_s22...
> I had the car parked just so the sun was shining through the rear window
> when I happened to notice something. There is a row of three indicator

lamps
> between the speedometer and fuel/charge/water temp gauges. On my car they
> are unused--the bottom two being for "door open" and "gate open". The

manual
> explains these well enough, stating that door open is only for commercial
> vehicles and gate open is for wagons.
>
> The topmost indicator is not mentioned, but with the sun shining on it, I
> could clearly see that it has an icon for oil pressure in it. That makes

no
> sense at all considering that an oil pressure indicator already exists at
> the far right of the cluster.
>
> Why is there a second oil pressure warning area? Was it used in another
> vehicle model? Or is it just for slow learners? <g>
>
> William

Because that vehicle could have been equipped with a gauge or a lite, since
you have a gauge there is no lite. Your vehicle has a sending unit for a
gauge

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old October 1st 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Mike Y

"William R. Walsh" m>
wrote in message news:Ml_Li.112315$Xa3.87922@attbi_s22...
> I had the car parked just so the sun was shining through the rear window
> when I happened to notice something. There is a row of three indicator

lamps
> between the speedometer and fuel/charge/water temp gauges. On my car they
> are unused--the bottom two being for "door open" and "gate open". The

manual
> explains these well enough, stating that door open is only for commercial
> vehicles and gate open is for wagons.
>
> The topmost indicator is not mentioned, but with the sun shining on it, I
> could clearly see that it has an icon for oil pressure in it. That makes

no
> sense at all considering that an oil pressure indicator already exists at
> the far right of the cluster.
>
> Why is there a second oil pressure warning area? Was it used in another
> vehicle model? Or is it just for slow learners? <g>
>
> William

You have a dash with a light. But if you had an optional dash display with
a gauge, there may ALSO be a light with the gauge. Even if they never
shipped a gauge display dash, it may have been a design option at one time.
Although it seems nowadays that a lot of dashes with gauges have the
idiot lights also incorporated into the gauge.

ABS warning lights...advice please cmg Alfa Romeo 3 April 12th 07 02:42 AM
warning lights Stef Audi 1 September 26th 06 06:23 PM
Warning Lights B Roberts Alfa Romeo 2 December 9th 05 03:40 PM
Warning Lights [email protected] Alfa Romeo 1 December 9th 05 02:34 PM
abs and asc warning lights steve wells via CarKB.com BMW 5 April 14th 05 12:52 PM