300C vs Monaro vs Jag S

Old October 27th 04, 11:39 AM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> Wallows, rides like a "boat". Also inability to turn off electric aids

for
> testing performance limits (which, I think, won't bother most 'ordinary'
> drivers).
>
> I was looking for a writeup on the website
> http://www.topgear.com/content/misc/TV/
> but I expect it's too recent. Maybe they don't give detailed TV programme
> notes, concentrating on the printed magazine.
>
> Clicking on a 300C review failed to bring up a useful page.
>
> But there are some nice pics:
> http://www.topgear.com/content/fun_s...F6/XX/gallery/
>

> DAS

It sure doesn't "ride like a boat".

Old October 27th 04, 02:49 PM

Nate Nagel wrote:

> James C. Reeves wrote:
>
> > "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" > wrote in message
> > et...

> > | The styling of the GTO doesn't strike anything in me. Haven't seen very
> > | many on the road but perhaps the styling will grow on me. As for the 300C I
> > | wonder what it was about the ride that the reviewers didn't like. I like
> > | the ride of mine and with 9,000 miles on the odometer there are no squeeks
> > | or anthing of the sort in the interior. This is one solid well-built car.
> > |

> > The Pontiac GTO, the last I checked, is selling worse than their Pontiac Aztec
> > model.
> >

> Which is a crying shame, because it's the closest thing to a Real
> Car(tm) that Generic Motors has offered in the US for quite a while,
> with the possible exception of the C6.
>
> nate
>
> --

While the GTO is a decent car, it has some things going against it.
First of all, it is rather pricey. Also, it looks too much like a
Cavalier on steroids for its intended market, which is more into the
"boy racer" treatment with fake hood scoops, etc. Also, the GTO has a
tiny trunk for such a big car.

The Aztek is horribly ugly, at least to most people, but with the big
rebates and not-too-high sticker, it is a good buy for how roomy it is.
I have two friends who own Azteks. Both are kind of embarrassed to be
seen driving them, but they bought them because they were a good value.
Old October 27th 04, 02:49 PM

Old October 27th 04, 04:11 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

> Wallows, rides like a "boat".

It'd be helpful to know whether they tested the NAFTA or the BUX ECE model
of the car. The suspension and braking tests required for ECE type
approval (which, in turn, is required of all new cars sold in the EU) are
absent in North American safety standards, and NAFTA models are (still!)
tuned for more of the proverbial "Boulevard ride" compared to export
models.
Old October 27th 04, 04:11 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old October 27th 04, 04:58 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Are you sure you want me to respond to your comment? I think it was you who
was rather generally scathing about my posts.

DAS
---

n.umich.edu...

Old October 27th 04, 04:58 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Old October 27th 04, 05:06 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

> Are you sure you want me to respond to your comment?

Makes no nevermind to me whether you choose to do so or not.

> I think it was you who was rather generally scathing about my posts.

Don't take it personally; I treat all stupid posts the same way regardless
of who's responsible for them.

Old October 27th 04, 05:06 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old October 27th 04, 07:04 PM
Steve

James C. Reeves wrote:

> "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" > wrote in message
> et...
> | "Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> | > Correct, the Holden/Vauxhall is the Pontiac GTO, though I don't know how
> | > many changes are made in the tramsition, other than the location of the
> | > steering wheel. Probably only few.
> | >
> | > All General Motors, innit?
> | >
> | > DAS
> |
> | The styling of the GTO doesn't strike anything in me. Haven't seen very
> | many on the road but perhaps the styling will grow on me. As for the 300C I
> | wonder what it was about the ride that the reviewers didn't like. I like
> | the ride of mine and with 9,000 miles on the odometer there are no squeeks
> | or anthing of the sort in the interior. This is one solid well-built car.
> |

> The Pontiac GTO, the last I checked, is selling worse than their Pontiac Aztec
> model.

Yep, GM completely blew it on the GTO. Its barely distinguishable from a
Grand Prix. Great mechanically and performance-wise, but the GTO name
needs style to go with it or its nothing.