99 vw loss of power...tried everything...please help

Old August 28th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

Default 99 vw GOLF 2.0 loss of power...tried everything...please help

So my mechanic towed it on Saturday, and today it starts right up for
him!!!!! This is soooo frustrating! Engine Speed Sensor is the Hall
Sensor, correct, or no?? That he tested the other day. Would the
exhaust blowing a whole in the "middle" of the exhaust system be
symptomatic or a sign of a clogged exhaust system? Plus isn't it when
it runs too rich that it misfires, or both?

Old August 29th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many Daves

No the Hall Sensor inside of the distributor is the Camshaft Position
Sensor. It can be bad or unplugged and the engine should still run.
The Crank Position Sensor (AKA Engine Speed Sensor) should be bolted to the
block down lownear the flywheel/driveplate AFAIK. If it goes out you lose
spark and possibly will not even throw a code. At least it did not throw a
code on a '97 VR6 engine and my parts guy says the VR6 ESS don't fail often.
He did say the 2.0 engine ESS do fail frequently.

It sounds like this is not a VW mechanic. :-(

Let him drive it for a week or so! If it conks out then he might want to
change the ESS for safety sake. ;-)

Why did the exhaust blow a hole in the middle? Rust?
Does it run better with that hole? ;-)

AFAIK Misfires could happen with a lean or rich condition, but more often
with a lean condition.

oups.com...

=

Old August 29th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

ok

There are some sensors here that have not been replaced yet. My 1990
Golf had a similar sounding problem to yours and it turned out to an O2
sensor. That is not saying anything though about your car.

The way that I fixed it though was with a bentley manual. They list a
myriad of electrical tests that can be carried out. Basically at this
point your mechanic needs to stop replacing things and start
methodically going through and testing every single sensor, and every
single connection at the ECU. It takes some time and lots of patience
but in the end it will prove successful. I fell into this trap of
replacing parts and it is not fun, it sounds like a lot of money is
being spent.

I would recommend getting a Bentley manual either on CD-ROM or in
print. If you go on amazon you can get it for 55 dollars I think. It
has full schematics of the electrical system as well as lots of info
that is left out of your ordinary Haynes or Chilton manual. Its well
worth the money and will more than likely give you insight into what
the problem is.

In my opinion I think that the oxygen sensor (or its associated wiring)
sounds like it is acting up. The oxygen sensor tells the ECU what
condition it is running in lean, rich or bang on. This is only an
assumption though.

Good luck with your car!

Peter

Old August 31st 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

I see that you have had your catalytic convertor replaced, but could
this possibly still be the problem? My 99 Golf was acting as you have
described. The problem was that the catalytic convertor had begun to
break apart and had clogged my exhaust system to the point that the car
would barely move. I took it to a dealership and they replaced the cc
and exhaust at no charge. I was told that it was a recall (although I
don't remember getting the recall notice).
Hope this helps you. PS. - also had the MAF sensor replaced at the
same time to correct misfiring.

Old September 4th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

My mechanic was not a VW mechanic and he admitted he was completely
stumped. I did take it to a new foreign vehicle mechanic (the vw
dealer says they don't see a problem) and he suggested the fuel pump,
(he did ask about the O2 sensor too) even though my other mechanic,
after testing the pump, insisted this wouldn't be the problem. But
since it is basically the first part I've paid for other than the coil
(long story there) I decided to bite...$572.73 later, the car died the
next day. I called the mechanic immediately (my other mechanic is
going to say "I told you so") and the new guy said there was a ground
wire in the trunk that needed to be secured...can I bring it right in?
So of course I did. This all happened on Saturday so I don't know if
that will make a difference. If this doesn't have any effect, then I
will have to go back to my old guy and ask him to do the tests. When
my cc was replaced, they checked out the exhaust since the cc was
broken and had turned. Also on that day that the car backfired,
everytime I tried to restart it, it sounded like it blew a hole in the
exhaust. Now that it funs "fine" again, there's no noise! This whole
thing is sooooo frustrating! Thanks everyone for all your help.

Old September 7th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

OKAY EVERYONE...MY PROBLEM INCREASES SIGNIFICANTLY WHEN THE AIR
CONDITIONER BUTTON IS PUSHED IN...does anyone have any info on the
relationship between the AC being on and how the engine should respond
accordingly so there is not a loss of power? Andrea

Old September 8th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many Daves

the clutch/pulley on the a/c compressor engages and now the engine has to
power or turn the compressor too.
the little power that you had from the engine is now being robbed by the a/c
compressor...........turn it off.....turn it off! ;-)

I did see a 2000 Jetta 2.0 engine that had the wrong spark plugs in it. It
still ran well until the side electrode on one of the plugs disappeared
inside of the engine. It is better now.

ups.com...

Old September 9th 06, 10:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Øyvind Segrov

andrea wrote:
> OKAY EVERYONE...MY PROBLEM INCREASES SIGNIFICANTLY WHEN THE AIR
> CONDITIONER BUTTON IS PUSHED IN...does anyone have any info on the
> relationship between the AC being on and how the engine should respond
> accordingly so there is not a loss of power? Andrea

Just a question: how is the outdoor temperature when you experience
these problems? I had a few similiar experiences with my Golf IV on
very cold days.

Old September 9th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

It does this all the time, hot, cold, it doesn't matter. I do now keep
the AC off but it does not cure the problem. It just doesn't increase
it...however, the car is bad enough with it off to still be greatly
concerned, and not be able to really go anywhere!!!!! S, One of Many
Daves, what you're basically saying is that the AC is basically not a
cause of the problem, but more a symptom...I was wondering if there was
some type of "electrical" type connection that was causing the
relationship??

Andrea

Old September 10th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_1_]

I am saying trying to run the a/c ADDS to the loss of power. Kinda like
trying to drive your car uphill all of the time! ;-)

Hmmm I had a thought that your camshaft timing might be off a notch, but it
should not make the engine stall. :-(
I suggest you take it to a VW expert like Lost In Space or maybe he knows
some techs in your area.

oups.com...