99 vw loss of power...tried everything...please help

Old August 24th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many Daves

Default 99 vw GOLF loss of power...tried everything...please help

doubtful but it may be ignition switch causing it to die also

oups.com...

Old August 24th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

I've been kinda checking that out...but here's what happened today.
Two times when the car died, in my effort to get it restarted...each
time it took 3-5 attempts but once each time when I turned the key
there was no cranking, completely dead...but the lights (oil, seatbelt,
etc.) went on on the dashboard. If it was the ignition, everything
I've read said those lights wouldn't go on. What about the ground to
the intake manifold or an O ring in the fuel injector? I'll check
tomorrow about the coil..but can't my mechanic tell if it's working
appropriately?????? Here's something else...on Sunday it was
hesitating every 10 feet, really struggling and then there was a loud
bang coming from the engine compartment and suddenly absolutely zero
hesitation, completely stopped. Later though I couldn't start it until
after a couple of times...it would crank, start for a second (the
accelorator would be to the floor) and then the tach would slowly
decrease from 1000 to 0. Also one of the codes I got from Auto Zone
was (I can't find the # right now) about the camshaft position sensor.
I'm going to have the codes cleared tomorrow and then see if it comes
back, etc. Any more thoughts? What about one of the wiring harnesses?

Old August 24th 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

Old August 25th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many Daves

Default 99 vw GOLF 2.0 loss of power...tried everything...please help

That pop sounds like a spark problem. Spark is affected by quite a few
components, coil, cap, rotor, ESS, ECM, plug wires, etc. oh and even to some
degree the ign switch.
I will ASSuME that the battery and it's connections are clean and tight,
esp. the grounds to the engine/trans and body.

I have seen new aftermarket ign coils have spark but the spark was so weak
it would not fire the plugs well. Hopefully the ground strap to it is fine
also.
Have the codes checked before you have them erased.
I have seen the Crankshaft Position Sensor (Engine Speed Sensor) not cause a
code to pop up and also cause a '97 VR6 engine not to start.

Your mechanic should keep the vehicle so it can be tested while it is dying
or dead! Give him the insurance card and a week to drive it.
Whereabouts are you?

good luck!
--
later,
dave

oups.com...

Old August 25th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

Hi Dave, I am in CT. Where are you? You did assume correctly,
battery connections are tight and clean. Today when they were checking
it out, there were a number of codes, sometimes random misfires,
sometimes cylinder 2 or 3 or 4...The ground to th intake manifold was
cleaned. I'm going to assume he checked other ones but I will ask him
later. I'll ask him about the coil too. (I forgot). Also...sometimes
(only occassionally) when it dies and I'm trying to restart it, I will
turn the key and it won't crank at all, completely dead like you have a
dead battery but the dashboard lights eill still go on, then the next
time I try it, it will crank and possibly start. The RPMs will rise to
1000 and then slowly decline back to zero despite having your foot on
the gas pedal.

Old August 25th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many daves

well if you get the EXACT CODES, post them here.
If the battery is marginal that could cause some problems.
It would be strange if you had a clogged exhaust causing your problems. Yes
I know that you have a new cat, but I had a collasping rear muffler on my
'91 Passat. Sounded OK at idle, but when you tried to accelerate too fast
it clogged up.
I also think you could have purchased a used car from what you have bought
already for this one. But you will love it after the problem gets
corrected! 8^)

Has the engine been put on an Ignition Scope?

I don't like that sometimes not cranking problem. :-(
That is why I mentioned the ign. switch. I think VW has a recall on some
Golfs' ign switches.

I am in Chicago and only guessing! ;-)
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

ups.com...

Old August 27th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

The misfire codes were PO300, 301, 302, 303, 304...in any case
yesterday getting on the highway the car was beginning to die and then
it backfired twice...brownish smoke out of the exhaust, died, then, got
it started, died aboout 100 yds. later, backfired while trying to start
it but this time under the middle of the car, and white smoke came
billowing out on the side..sounds like it blew a hole in the
exhaust...able to restart 5 more times for about 50-100 yds. each time
and was able to finally get it off the highway. The past couple of
days whenever it's died and you finally get it restarted there is
always a huge smell of gasoline, kinda like it smells when and if you
flood a car. My car then had to be towed to the mechanics.

Old August 27th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

Old August 27th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
andrea

Also the battery is good. Yesterday when it was dying I kept finagling
with the key and it would move the RPMs slightly, making them fluctuate
slightly....if the ignition switch was bad, wouldn't the dashboard
lights not go on when it stalled?

Old August 28th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
One out of many Daves

16684 P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
16685 P0301 Cyl.1 Misfire Detected
16686 P0302 Cyl.2 Misfire Detected
16687 P0303 Cyl.3 Misfire Detected
16688 P0304 Cyl.4 Misfire Detected

Yeah that puzzles me since you have:
excellent grounds to the engine, body and ign coil
NEW cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, MAF, engine speed sensor(?) and other
new components.

if the engine is running too lean, that might create some misfires.
maybe your mechanic will catch the problem now that it is dying out more
often.

hmmmm "brownish smoke out of the exhaust"
don't forget to get that exhaust flow tested. maybe a clogged exhaust??

Yes generally if the ign switch is bad the idiot lights will not light up
when the engine stalls, or the lights go out while cranking over the engine.
Although on my '91 Passat when my ignition switch was going bad some
components worked and other didn't. I could drive but not operate my power
windows nor hear the radio. ODD huh? A new aftermarket ign. switch died in
about a week's time. My rebuilt one at least lasted about 6 months, but the
dealer's switch has been good for over a year so far.

guessing here again!
good luck,
dave
(One out of many daves)