In need of brake expertise...

Old March 15th 04, 12:28 AM
tj

Default In need of brake expertise...

I recently purchased a '94 Jeep Wrangler. All seemed well until about
2 weeks ago. I started noticing some noise when braking. So I decided
to replace all the pads and rotors. When I got to the left front I
noticed that one of the pads had totally disentegrated and the rotor
was shot. I decided to go ahead and replace both rotors. I got
everything reassembled and tried it out. All was smooth at first but
within about 5 miles I started sensing that the front brakes seems to
be dragging. I drove it back home and when I stopped in the drive way
smoke was coming from *BOTH* front wheels. After having thought back,
I remember thinking that the front brakes always seemed to be dragging
a little. That's probably why the pad had blown out and the rotor was
shot.

Question is:
Is this due to faulty calipers or a bad master cylinder?

I guess either way I should probably start with the calipers. Any

TJ
Old March 15th 04, 02:28 AM
Chris Phillipo

In article >, tsharpe64
@earthlink.net says...
> I recently purchased a '94 Jeep Wrangler. All seemed well until about
> 2 weeks ago. I started noticing some noise when braking. So I decided
> to replace all the pads and rotors. When I got to the left front I
> noticed that one of the pads had totally disentegrated and the rotor
> was shot. I decided to go ahead and replace both rotors. I got
> everything reassembled and tried it out. All was smooth at first but
> within about 5 miles I started sensing that the front brakes seems to
> be dragging. I drove it back home and when I stopped in the drive way
> smoke was coming from *BOTH* front wheels. After having thought back,
> I remember thinking that the front brakes always seemed to be dragging
> a little. That's probably why the pad had blown out and the rotor was
> shot.
>
> Question is:
> Is this due to faulty calipers or a bad master cylinder?
>
> I guess either way I should probably start with the calipers. Any
>
> TJ

Were oyu able to push the pistons back when you replaced the pads?
Chances are they are seized.
--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.
Old March 15th 04, 02:28 AM
Chris Phillipo

In article >, tsharpe64
@earthlink.net says...

Old March 15th 04, 03:18 PM
Mike Romain

Interesting.

Did you pull out the slider pins and clean and grease or anti-seize them
when you had it apart? They have a nylon sleeve in there and it needs a
clean at pad changing time. Strange for both to seize, but then maybe
not...

A master gone bad can also cause that or the wrong master. A
proportioning valve gone bad can also cause that.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 15th 04, 03:18 PM
Mike Romain

Old March 15th 04, 04:17 PM
tj

Chris Phillipo > wrote in message > ...
> In article >, tsharpe64
> @earthlink.net says...
> > I recently purchased a '94 Jeep Wrangler. All seemed well until about
> > 2 weeks ago. I started noticing some noise when braking. So I decided
> > to replace all the pads and rotors. When I got to the left front I
> > noticed that one of the pads had totally disentegrated and the rotor
> > was shot. I decided to go ahead and replace both rotors. I got
> > everything reassembled and tried it out. All was smooth at first but
> > within about 5 miles I started sensing that the front brakes seems to
> > be dragging. I drove it back home and when I stopped in the drive way
> > smoke was coming from *BOTH* front wheels. After having thought back,
> > I remember thinking that the front brakes always seemed to be dragging
> > a little. That's probably why the pad had blown out and the rotor was
> > shot.
> >
> > Question is:
> > Is this due to faulty calipers or a bad master cylinder?
> >
> > I guess either way I should probably start with the calipers. Any
> > suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > TJ
> >

> Were oyu able to push the pistons back when you replaced the pads?
> Chances are they are seized.

The pistons went back in pretty easily. Of course, I had to use a C clamp.
Old March 15th 04, 04:17 PM
tj

Old March 17th 04, 04:44 PM
tj

Yes... I cleaned and lubed all the parts. Like you mentioned, it does
seem more like the master, booster or perhaps the proportioning valve.
It could even be bad hoses.

Thanks, folks, for all the pointers. I think I'll go ahead and replace
everything from the booster to the calipers in the front. Better safe
than take a chance on fryin' the hubs.

Later,
TJ

Old March 17th 04, 04:44 PM