Power stering 2003 T&C

Old February 11th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Power stering 2003 T&C

On my 2003 Town & Country (long out of warranty) I'm getting a hydraulic
sound from the
steering after driving at high speed for long periods (hours plus Min of 75
mph). It's goes away after a some time of slow driving.
The dealer flushed the fuid after the first complaint and it seems to goawa
for a few months and now its back. It's happened again after a long trip and
it starting to be a little niosy all the time.
Is this the pump or the rack, or should flushthe fluid again?

Kevin

Old February 11th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

the dealer has a special tool that can be hooked upto a power steering system
and can properly troubleshoot what is wrong
a after market shop will not have such a tool since it is a very expensive tool
and the dealers are required to have it
esp since a rack for this van is big dollars and if it was replaced and did not
fix it that would be money wrongly spent

Old February 12th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"KS" > wrote in message
t...
> On my 2003 Town & Country (long out of warranty) I'm getting a hydraulic
> sound from the
> steering after driving at high speed for long periods (hours plus Min of

75
> mph). It's goes away after a some time of slow driving.
> The dealer flushed the fuid after the first complaint and it seems to

goawa
> for a few months and now its back. It's happened again after a long trip

and
> it starting to be a little niosy all the time.
> Is this the pump or the rack, or should flushthe fluid again?
>
> Kevin

Make sure the reservoir is filled to the proper level and check underneath
the vehicle for leaks, especially at the inner tie rods.
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old February 12th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

It's right to the line and every thing down under looks dry.
Do you know if OEM Chrysler fluid is synthetic?

Kevin

Old February 12th 06, 07:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"KS" > wrote in message
> It's right to the line and every thing down under looks dry.
> Do you know if OEM Chrysler fluid is synthetic?

For that year I believe they call for ATF +4 transmission fluid for the
power
steering and yes ATF+4 is synthetic.

Ted

Old February 12th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"KS" > wrote in message
> It's right to the line and every thing down under looks dry.
> Do you know if OEM Chrysler fluid is synthetic?
>
> Kevin
>
> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > "KS" > wrote in message
> > t...
> >> On my 2003 Town & Country (long out of warranty) I'm getting a

hydraulic
> >> sound from the
> >> steering after driving at high speed for long periods (hours plus Min

of
> > 75
> >> mph). It's goes away after a some time of slow driving.
> >> The dealer flushed the fuid after the first complaint and it seems to

> > goawa
> >> for a few months and now its back. It's happened again after a long

trip
> > and
> >> it starting to be a little niosy all the time.
> >> Is this the pump or the rack, or should flushthe fluid again?
> >>
> >> Kevin
> >>

> > Make sure the reservoir is filled to the proper level and check

underneath
> > the vehicle for leaks, especially at the inner tie rods.
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

AS Ted said, its ATF

Old February 12th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"KS" > wrote in message
t...
> On my 2003 Town & Country (long out of warranty) I'm getting a hydraulic
> sound from the
> steering after driving at high speed for long periods (hours plus Min of
> 75
> mph). It's goes away after a some time of slow driving.
> The dealer flushed the fuid after the first complaint and it seems to
> goawa
> for a few months and now its back. It's happened again after a long trip
> and
> it starting to be a little niosy all the time.
> Is this the pump or the rack, or should flushthe fluid again?
>
> Kevin

If this is making a noise like it's low on fluid even tho the fluid level is
ok, it may have a restricted screen in the bottom of the reservoir. I
haven't found a good way to clean this screen other than to replace the
reservoir. It's fixed the noise every time so far.

Denny

Old February 13th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

The reservoir sitting on top of the engine?

Kevin
. ..

Old February 14th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"KS" > wrote in message
> The reservoir sitting on top of the engine?

On my 94 and 95 T&C with 3.8, the resivour is on the top of the engine,
there is a 1 inch
pipe that goes from it to the power steering pump. As for cleaning the
screen on the bottom
if I was going to do that I would take the resivour off, (after draining the
fluid of course)
then using a blow gun that sucked up solvent (Snap-on makes such a thing) I
would reverse
blow it out with compressed air/mineral spirits mixture.

Ted

2003 GCaravan passenger power window won't go down once in a while cosza Chrysler 4 December 12th 05 11:27 PM
04 T&C Power Steering Richard Chrysler 1 November 14th 05 11:53 PM
Why you should never buy a car without a tachometer Ted B. Driving 112 September 19th 05 04:09 AM
Power Steering Fluid for 2003 Liberty Ron Jeep 2 September 8th 05 03:49 AM
2003 A4 1.8TQ power hesitation Chuck Audi 0 December 17th 04 02:16 AM