Replacing A2 headliner

Old September 12th 05, 01:57 AM
David Abineri

Default Replacing A2 headliner

Does anyone know what kind of glue works best (and hold for a nice long
time) for holding up the headliner material to the foam headliner panel?

Thanks, David Abineri

Old September 12th 05, 12:19 PM

3M makes a range of products depending on the headliner and panel
composition. I just did this (but used the entire can... so no longer
have it) and got mine from an auto paint/supply store.

Thanks,
Scott

Old September 12th 05, 12:34 PM
Joseph Meehan

David Abineri wrote:
> Does anyone know what kind of glue works best (and hold for a nice
> long time) for holding up the headliner material to the foam
> headliner panel?
> Thanks, David Abineri

Usually the problem is not the glue, but rather the foam. Once the foam
gets old, there is no saving it. It is best to replace the whole thing
while totally cleaning the old foam and glue out.

I suggest a shop specializing in interiors or convertible tops.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old September 14th 05, 04:38 PM
David Dye

David Abineri wrote:
> Does anyone know what kind of glue works best (and hold for a nice long
> time) for holding up the headliner material to the foam headliner panel?
>
> Thanks, David Abineri

I used 3M 08090 Super Adhesive a couple years ago and it's still holding
up. It was my third try, so I've seen other stuff fail. My advice for
using this stuff is to make sure you pull everything tight after it has
been applied and make sure it is completely and totally dry before you
reinstall it. Mine's still up, but it is lumpy because I didn't check
on it while it was drying and I put it back in too soon.

david.
92 GTi 16V
Old September 18th 05, 05:43 AM
WT

I've got an 86 GTi, and my headliner started sagging several months ago.
That is, the vinyl or whatever it is that is glued to the formed liner. The
sagging started at the front and rear windshield edges. Eventually, the rear
edge sagged enough that I couldn't see out the back window. Whatever glue
had been used had dried to a brownish-orange powder. A couple of weekends
ago, I was going to try removing the headliner, but didn't have the time. I
have a sunroof, and that made the removal complicated. In the end, I just
peeled the vinyl cover off of the entire ceiling, and then vacuumed off the
dried off glue. The vinyl came off very easily! Probably won't get around
to replacing it until next spring. The formed foam liner is in good shape.
Presumably, I will have to take the liner out completely in order to re-glue
the vinyl? Any tricks to this, or things to watch out for? The sun roof?

. ..

Old September 19th 05, 02:21 AM
Matt B.

"WT" > wrote in message
> I've got an 86 GTi, and my headliner started sagging several months ago.
> That is, the vinyl or whatever it is that is glued to the formed liner.
> The
> sagging started at the front and rear windshield edges. Eventually, the
> rear
> edge sagged enough that I couldn't see out the back window. Whatever glue
> had been used had dried to a brownish-orange powder. A couple of weekends
> ago, I was going to try removing the headliner, but didn't have the time.
> have a sunroof, and that made the removal complicated. In the end, I just
> peeled the vinyl cover off of the entire ceiling, and then vacuumed off
> the
> dried off glue. The vinyl came off very easily! Probably won't get
> around
> to replacing it until next spring. The formed foam liner is in good
> shape.
> Presumably, I will have to take the liner out completely in order to
> re-glue
> the vinyl? Any tricks to this, or things to watch out for? The sun roof?

Just be VERY careful about damaging the foam because it's kinda fragile and
you won't be able to get a replacement.