Coolant Leak. On & Off

Old August 8th 05, 01:52 AM
Richard

Default Coolant Leak. On & Off

This AM while at the drag strip I was pulled off the line as the car was
leaking coolant. (steady flow from the back of the engine area.) By the time
I got back into the pit area the leak stopped and could not be located.
Drove back into town (about 5 miles) and the leak started again. By the time
I got the car on a ramp the leak stopped. Topped up the overflow reservoir
and everything again seemed OK. Went back to the strip only to have the leak
start again. Went back into town and found that it wasn't leaking again.
Checked the overflow reservoir and it was down so it was again topped up.
Decided to call it a day and drove home (about 120 miles). Temperature
gauge was reading normal. Stopped to check coolant level after 10 miles and
noticed that the reservoir was a little lower. Topped up again and drove
home. When I arrived home the coolant reservoir level was unchanged (full to
the top). I have never ever, ever, seen a leak like this (steady stream of
liquid) just disappear. Leak was at the rear just in front of the bell
housing. Heater hoses were dry. Can anyone help identify the source and why
it would start and stop?? It reminded me of a pressure relief valve going
off and then reseating itself. Other than the radiator cap is there another
similar valve somewhere in the cooling system that could be failing?

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

Old August 8th 05, 02:05 AM
SVTKate

Does it have a freeze plug back there that is going tango uniform?
ucks that you had to take it home without running it though. Better safe
than sorry though.

Kate

"Richard" > wrote in message
[...]
:
: --
: Richard
:

Old August 8th 05, 06:13 AM
Richard

I don't think a frost plug will "start and stop" leaking. Maybe Jim Warman
can shed some light on the problem?

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
4:10 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

k.net...

Old August 8th 05, 03:57 PM

Richard wrote:

> I don't think a frost plug will "start and stop" leaking. Maybe Jim Warman
> can shed some light on the problem?

Coolant leak from head gasket? I think this is possible even if you are
not getting any coolant into the combustion chamber. Other than head
gasket, frost plug or (I dont even want to think it for you) a cracked
casting, there isnt much else to leak in the area you indicated on a 5.0 .

Coolant Leak - From Head Gasket ? jpmccormac VW water cooled 4 February 10th 05 09:48 PM
Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors 4x4 4 January 23rd 05 06:06 PM
Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors Chrysler 1 January 23rd 05 06:01 PM
Coolant leak help... Quattro Audi 3 June 7th 04 10:24 PM