rules question - leaving driveways

Old May 31st 05, 09:22 PM
Tim923

Default rules question - leaving driveways

Question:

Car#1 is leaving a driveway and wants to go straight ahead. He has no
stop sign nor light. (The driveway could be from a business, house,
church, etc.)

Car#2 is the oncoming car at a stop sign, wanting to turn left in
front of #1.

Both arrive at about the same time.

When I'm Car#1, I've always allowed Car#2 to go. Is that the rule?
--Tim923
Old May 31st 05, 09:42 PM
JohnH

> Both arrive at about the same time.
>
> When I'm Car#1, I've always allowed Car#2 to go. Is that the rule?

Seems to be the smart thing to do.

Old May 31st 05, 09:46 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Tim923" > wrote
> Car#1 is leaving a driveway and wants to go straight ahead. He has no
> stop sign nor light. (The driveway could be from a business, house,
> church, etc.)
>
> Car#2 is the oncoming car at a stop sign, wanting to turn left in
> front of #1.
>
> Both arrive at about the same time.
>
> When I'm Car#1, I've always allowed Car#2 to go. Is that the rule?

Not in this case. You are *NOT* already in the road; #2 is.
People entering from drives do not have the right-of-way.

Floyd
Old May 31st 05, 10:12 PM
Tim923

fbloogyudsr wrote:
>Not in this case. You are *NOT* already in the road; #2 is.
>People entering from drives do not have the right-of-way.

OK. That explains it.
Old June 1st 05, 06:55 AM
Dave

Tim923 wrote:
> Question:
>
> Car#1 is leaving a driveway and wants to go straight ahead. He has no
> stop sign nor light. (The driveway could be from a business, house,
> church, etc.)
>
> Car#2 is the oncoming car at a stop sign, wanting to turn left in
> front of #1.
>
> Both arrive at about the same time.
>
> When I'm Car#1, I've always allowed Car#2 to go. Is that the rule?
> --Tim923

Regardless of where Car #1 is leaving from, if he's not on the road, he
has to let #2 go. Good call dude.

Dave

Old June 2nd 05, 12:21 AM
jaybird

"Tim923" > wrote in message
> Question:
>
> Car#1 is leaving a driveway and wants to go straight ahead. He has no
> stop sign nor light. (The driveway could be from a business, house,
> church, etc.)
>
> Car#2 is the oncoming car at a stop sign, wanting to turn left in
> front of #1.
>
> Both arrive at about the same time.
>
> When I'm Car#1, I've always allowed Car#2 to go. Is that the rule?
> --Tim923

Think of it as the "lesser road" rule. A vehicle coming from a lesser road
onto a larger, or in this case private to public, road must usually yield
right of way unless otherwise posted.

--
---
jaybird

Old June 2nd 05, 03:57 AM
Old Wolf

jaybird wrote:
> "Tim923" wrote:
> > Question:
> >
> > Car#1 is leaving a driveway and wants to go straight ahead. He has no
> > stop sign nor light. (The driveway could be from a business, house,
> > church, etc.)
> >
> > Car#2 is the oncoming car at a stop sign, wanting to turn left in
> > front of #1.
> >
> > Both arrive at about the same time.
> >
> > When I'm Car#1, I've always allowed Car#2 to go. Is that the rule?

> Think of it as the "lesser road" rule. A vehicle coming from a lesser road
> onto a larger, or in this case private to public, road must usually yield
> right of way unless otherwise posted.

I'm in a worse situation: I live on a roundabout (with 3 exits).

When coming home I have to travel 80% of the way around the
roundabout before exiting into my driveway, and drivers coming
from the exit just before my driveway, often assume I'm going
to be getting off at their exit (even though I am indicating
correctly), and charge on into the roundabout anyway. Or they
brake heavily when they realise I'm actually doing what I
indicated, and their car ends up stationary but well over the
line (so they would also be blocking any cars that were following
me).