Engine Management Light

Old April 2nd 05, 05:26 PM
John

Default Engine Management Light

My daughter has called to say her light is on. I am confident that all
levels are fine and it is running smoothly - from Googling around it appears
to mean some sort of emission equipment fault.

Is it true that disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will re-set the
light? If it comes on again then we will take the car to the dealer - but
would rather be sure before parting with cash.

(3 years old UK - MX5 1.6)

Old April 2nd 05, 06:21 PM
Natman

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:26:08 GMT, "John" > wrote:

>My daughter has called to say her light is on. I am confident that all
>levels are fine and it is running smoothly - from Googling around it appears
>to mean some sort of emission equipment fault.
>
>Is it true that disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will re-set the
>light? If it comes on again then we will take the car to the dealer - but
>would rather be sure before parting with cash.
>
>(3 years old UK - MX5 1.6)

Disconnecting the battery will reset the light, but it will probably
just come right back on again.

You need to get the code read. Once you know the code you will be able
to get a much more specific diagnosis.
Old April 2nd 05, 06:24 PM
John

"Natman" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:26:08 GMT, "John" > wrote:
>
>>My daughter has called to say her light is on. I am confident that all
>>levels are fine and it is running smoothly - from Googling around it
>>appears
>>to mean some sort of emission equipment fault.
>>
>>Is it true that disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will re-set
>>the
>>light? If it comes on again then we will take the car to the dealer - but
>>would rather be sure before parting with cash.
>>
>>(3 years old UK - MX5 1.6)
>>

> Disconnecting the battery will reset the light, but it will probably
> just come right back on again.
>
> You need to get the code read. Once you know the code you will be able
> to get a much more specific diagnosis.

Will have to wait until Monday to find the dealer open. I was thinking it
might be just a glitch that may clear. If it comes back on then at least I
know it must got to the dealer.

Old April 2nd 05, 06:47 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"John" > wrote:

> My daughter has called to say her light is on. I am confident that all
> levels are fine and it is running smoothly - from Googling around it appears
> to mean some sort of emission equipment fault.

The most common cause is a loose fuel filler cap. Tighten it until it
clicks a couple of times.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old April 4th 05, 07:26 PM
Scott Hughes

"John" > wrote in
:

> My daughter has called to say her light is on. I am confident that all
> levels are fine and it is running smoothly - from Googling around it
> appears to mean some sort of emission equipment fault.
>
> Is it true that disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will
> re-set the light? If it comes on again then we will take the car to
> the dealer - but would rather be sure before parting with cash.
>
> (3 years old UK - MX5 1.6)

One other thing to consider before dealing w/ a dealer. Don't know about
the UK, but here in the states there are several auto parts stores
(Autozone for one) who will read your error codes for free. See if there's
something similar there & save yourself some hassle..

-Scott