Transmission not catching

Old June 11th 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom Del Rosso

Default Transmission not catching

1992 Plymouth Acclaim 4 cyl

In the last couple of days it started doing this, but only right after I
stop hard. If I stop normally it starts back in gear like it always did,
but after I stop hard then it hesitates to catch first gear for about half a
second.

Indicative of anything? I haven't checked the transmission fluid yet since
this only happened a few times.

What's the shelf life of transmission fluid? My can is 5 years old since I
only need to add a bit at a time.

Thanks.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Old June 11th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dan Youngquist

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Tom Del Rosso wrote:

> In the last couple of days it started doing this, but only right after I
> stop hard. If I stop normally it starts back in gear like it always
> did, but after I stop hard then it hesitates to catch first gear for
> about half a second.

My first thought is that the tranny is probably acting the same in both
cases, but when you stop fast you're getting back on the gas sooner, so
you notice the slow shifting. But if you stop slower it's already in gear
by the time you hit the gas.

> What's the shelf life of transmission fluid? My can is 5 years old
> since I only need to add a bit at a time.

If it's in the bottle, forever. If it's in the transmission, somewhat
less. A guy who runs a transmission shop once told me 90% of his business
is the result of people not changing their ATF once a year.

So, if it were my car, the first thing I'd do is change the fluid. I've
had that fix minor problems like yours, that were the result of the fluid
being dirty or old. Don't know if it'll fix yours, but it's worth a shot.

-Dan
Old June 11th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

> 1992 Plymouth Acclaim 4 cyl
>
> In the last couple of days it started doing this, but only right after I
> stop hard. If I stop normally it starts back in gear like it always did,
> but after I stop hard then it hesitates to catch first gear for about half a
> second.
>
> Indicative of anything? I haven't checked the transmission fluid yet since
> this only happened a few times.

Check the fluid.... and yes this is going to sound snarky, but WHY would
you even ask any question at all here before doing something so basic?

If its a little low, then when it all goes rushing to the front of the
pan under a hard stop, the pickup on the bottom of the valve body may
suck air and drop the car out of gear until the system can "re prime"
itself.

Old June 11th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom Del Rosso

"Steve" > wrote in message

> Check the fluid.... and yes this is going to sound snarky, but WHY
> would you even ask any question at all here before doing something so
> basic?

Right, sorry. Well, I haven't been on level ground in daylight in the past
few days.

But I might have been biased because it was checked last month and never
needed frequent attention before.

> If its a little low, then when it all goes rushing to the front of the
> pan under a hard stop, the pickup on the bottom of the valve body may
> suck air and drop the car out of gear until the system can "re prime"
> itself.

Thanks, and Dan too.

Old June 12th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Tom Del Rosso > wrote:
>1992 Plymouth Acclaim 4 cyl
>
>In the last couple of days it started doing this, but only right after I
>stop hard. If I stop normally it starts back in gear like it always did,
>but after I stop hard then it hesitates to catch first gear for about half a
>second.

Does the clutch feel looser than normal? When it _does_ catch properly,
is the pressure point on the clutch at the same place that it used to be
before this started?
--scott

Old June 12th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tom Del Rosso

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message

> Tom Del Rosso > wrote:
>> 1992 Plymouth Acclaim 4 cyl
>>
>> In the last couple of days it started doing this, but only right
>> after I stop hard. If I stop normally it starts back in gear like
>> it always did, but after I stop hard then it hesitates to catch
>> first gear for about half a second.

> Does the clutch feel looser than normal? When it _does_ catch
> properly, is the pressure point on the clutch at the same place that
> it used to be before this started?

I should have mentioned that it's automatic. Sorry.

Old June 12th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Don't forget motor mounts... I had what seemed be a slip-and-catch
problem that turned out to be 2 broken mounts letting the engine flop
around.

Old June 12th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
(namegoeshere)

its a 4cyl so who cares lol jkin round but did u ever think that when u
stop hard u do knock the mounts around? a easy way t check is to just
lift up o the transmission were its got rubber on one side if it comes
up 2 centimeters or more then it needs to be replaced or remounted but
it could be somthin basic or simple i had same prob wit a tahoe once

--
(namegoeshere)
(namegoeshere)'s Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=515749

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old June 13th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Tom Del Rosso" > wrote in message
> 1992 Plymouth Acclaim 4 cyl
>
> In the last couple of days it started doing this, but only right after I
> stop hard. If I stop normally it starts back in gear like it always did,
> but after I stop hard then it hesitates to catch first gear for about half

> second.
>
> Indicative of anything? I haven't checked the transmission fluid yet

since
> this only happened a few times.
>
> What's the shelf life of transmission fluid? My can is 5 years old since

> only need to add a bit at a time.

Since we now know that this is an automatic, coupled to a 4 cylinder, maybe
we can say a bit more.

Slow engagement of an automatic transmission often equates to restricted or
low hydraulic fluid line pressure. You may have a fouled valve body or
other
parts, or you may have a loss of line pressure, for whatever reason.

Has this transmission EVER been serviced? EVER?

For a car this old, it is not unthinkable that the tranny is waving the
white flag.
But, if you havent serviced it, in a coon's age, change the fluid and filter
and
see if it buys you anything. It may not.

Everything wears out with age, even me.