4.9l ford no start

Old June 12th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default 4.9l ford no start

I just fitted a '93 4.9l from an E-350 into my "79 F-100. I used the
'93 ECC and harness with relays and fuses and "tapped" into the '79
fuse block and chassis harness. I installed the tank and high-
pressure lines from the "93 and all went in perfectly. That is until
I went to start it. I have power to all systems and the engine
cranks, fuel pump comes on, I have pressure on the fuel rail, I have
spark, and even my back-up lights and neutral safety work properly,
but the engine does not start. I wired in the following sensors:
HEGO, MAP, TFI, and TPS (am I missing something else?). I have voltage
on both leads of the injectors during crank and run. I am not
certain if this indicates the ECC is controlling the circuit. I
believe the ECC controls the injectors through two wires (white for
123 and tan for 456) and these wires are grounded by the ECC when each
of the respective cylinder fires. I can start the engine by spraying
a little gas into the throttle body, but otherwise, I am not getting
any fuel through the injectors. I have a couple suspicions: I did not
use the vehicle speed sensor system. (I don't think this would matter
at start-up), or I have blockage at the injectors (The system sat open
for about two years). Help !

Old June 13th 07, 12:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Jun 12, 4:24 pm, wrote:
> I just fitted a '93 4.9l from an E-350 into my "79 F-100. I used the
> '93 ECC and harness with relays and fuses and "tapped" into the '79
> fuse block and chassis harness. I installed the tank and high-
> pressure lines from the "93 and all went in perfectly. That is until
> I went to start it. I have power to all systems and the engine
> cranks, fuel pump comes on, I have pressure on the fuel rail, I have
> spark, and even my back-up lights and neutral safety work properly,
> but the engine does not start. I wired in the following sensors:
> HEGO, MAP, TFI, and TPS (am I missing something else?). I have voltage
> on both leads of the injectors during crank and run. I am not
> certain if this indicates the ECC is controlling the circuit. I
> believe the ECC controls the injectors through two wires (white for
> 123 and tan for 456) and these wires are grounded by the ECC when each
> of the respective cylinder fires. I can start the engine by spraying
> a little gas into the throttle body, but otherwise, I am not getting
> any fuel through the injectors. I have a couple suspicions: I did not
> use the vehicle speed sensor system. (I don't think this would matter
> at start-up), or I have blockage at the injectors (The system sat open
> for about two years). Help !

>I have pressure on the fuel rail<

Make sure you have the correct pressure.

>I have voltage on both leads of the injectors during crank and run.<

You shouldn't have constant voltage. It should be interrupted. Get a
Noid light and plug into one of the injector wires. The light should
blink while cranking. Light on,off,on,off/injector solenoid
on,off,on,off. As the engine gets faster in RPM's, the on/off time get
shorter.

Old June 13th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Jun 13, 5:51 am, dahpater > wrote:
> On Jun 12, 4:24 pm, wrote:
>

> > I just fitted a '93 4.9l from an E-350 into my "79 F-100. I used the
> > '93 ECC and harness with relays and fuses and "tapped" into the '79
> > fuse block and chassis harness. I installed the tank and high-
> > pressure lines from the "93 and all went in perfectly. That is until
> > I went to start it. I have power to all systems and the engine
> > cranks, fuel pump comes on, I have pressure on the fuel rail, I have
> > spark, and even my back-up lights and neutral safety work properly,
> > but the engine does not start. I wired in the following sensors:
> > HEGO, MAP, TFI, and TPS (am I missing something else?). I have voltage
> > on both leads of the injectors during crank and run. I am not
> > certain if this indicates the ECC is controlling the circuit. I
> > believe the ECC controls the injectors through two wires (white for
> > 123 and tan for 456) and these wires are grounded by the ECC when each
> > of the respective cylinder fires. I can start the engine by spraying
> > a little gas into the throttle body, but otherwise, I am not getting
> > any fuel through the injectors. I have a couple suspicions: I did not
> > use the vehicle speed sensor system. (I don't think this would matter
> > at start-up), or I have blockage at the injectors (The system sat open
> > for about two years). Help !
> >I have pressure on the fuel rail<

> Make sure you have the correct pressure.
>
> >I have voltage on both leads of the injectors during crank and run.<

> You shouldn't have constant voltage. It should be interrupted. Get a
> Noid light and plug into one of the injector wires. The light should
> blink while cranking. Light on,off,on,off/injector solenoid
> on,off,on,off. As the engine gets faster in RPM's, the on/off time get
> shorter.

Does the Vheicle speed sensor need to be hooked up? Should I jumper
the wires on the EEC (#3 to #6) if I did not connect the VSS?

Old June 13th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dahpater

On Jun 13, 9:50 am, wrote:
> On Jun 13, 5:51 am, dahpater > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 12, 4:24 pm, wrote:

> > > I just fitted a '93 4.9l from an E-350 into my "79 F-100. I used the
> > > '93 ECC and harness with relays and fuses and "tapped" into the '79
> > > fuse block and chassis harness. I installed the tank and high-
> > > pressure lines from the "93 and all went in perfectly. That is until
> > > I went to start it. I have power to all systems and the engine
> > > cranks, fuel pump comes on, I have pressure on the fuel rail, I have
> > > spark, and even my back-up lights and neutral safety work properly,
> > > but the engine does not start. I wired in the following sensors:
> > > HEGO, MAP, TFI, and TPS (am I missing something else?). I have voltage
> > > on both leads of the injectors during crank and run. I am not
> > > certain if this indicates the ECC is controlling the circuit. I
> > > believe the ECC controls the injectors through two wires (white for
> > > 123 and tan for 456) and these wires are grounded by the ECC when each
> > > of the respective cylinder fires. I can start the engine by spraying
> > > a little gas into the throttle body, but otherwise, I am not getting
> > > any fuel through the injectors. I have a couple suspicions: I did not
> > > use the vehicle speed sensor system. (I don't think this would matter
> > > at start-up), or I have blockage at the injectors (The system sat open
> > > for about two years). Help !
> > >I have pressure on the fuel rail<

> > Make sure you have the correct pressure.

> > >I have voltage on both leads of the injectors during crank and run.<

> > You shouldn't have constant voltage. It should be interrupted. Get a
> > Noid light and plug into one of the injector wires. The light should
> > blink while cranking. Light on,off,on,off/injector solenoid
> > on,off,on,off. As the engine gets faster in RPM's, the on/off time get
> > shorter.

> Does the Vheicle speed sensor need to be hooked up? Should I jumper
> the wires on the EEC (#3 to #6) if I did not connect the VSS?- Hide quoted text -

No & no. The speed sensor won't keep it from starting/running. Speed
sensors are used for speedometers, fuel trim, cruise control, and
trans shift points.

Old June 13th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Thomas Tornblom

Having retrofitted a 5.0 EEC-IV system to a 351C, I know that the VSS
is not essential.

You say that the fuel pump comes on. Does it stop after about two
seconds or does it run continuosly with the ignition on?

If the pump stops, then the EEC is alive. If it runs continuously then
the EEC has crashed.

My guess is that there is a problem with the wiring from the
distributor/TFI to the EEC. The EEC needs to get the PIP signal from
the distributor to know that the engine is turning and to time the
injectors.

The TFI can generate spark with the EEC dead, so the fact that getting
it to run by spraying fuel manually doesn't mean much.

You fail to mention the ECT and ACT sensors, but none of them are
essential to start the engine.

The EEC can run with most of its sensors missing, and it can even run
with the processor dead. It goes into LOM mode, where there is analog
electronics that generate a fixed 50% injector duty cycle and you
modulate engine speed with the amount of air passed by the
throttle. It will still need the PIP signal from the TFI though
Old June 13th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Do you have a good ground path from the computer to the engine?

Are all the computer harness grounds bolted onto the block? Usually
near the dipstick? I have seen one dropped wire there too many times on
engine swaps.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...

Old June 14th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Jun 13, 8:57 am, Mike Romain > wrote:
> Do you have a good ground path from the computer to the engine?
>
> Are all the computer harness grounds bolted onto the block? Usually
> near the dipstick? I have seen one dropped wire there too many times on
> engine swaps.
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
> Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
> Jan/06http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115147590
> (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
>
> wrote:
> > I just fitted a '93 4.9l from an E-350 into my "79 F-100. I used the
> > '93 ECC and harness with relays and fuses and "tapped" into the '79
> > fuse block and chassis harness. I installed the tank and high-
> > pressure lines from the "93 and all went in perfectly. That is until
> > I went to start it. I have power to all systems and the engine
> > cranks, fuel pump comes on, I have pressure on the fuel rail, I have
> > spark, and even my back-up lights and neutral safety work properly,
> > but the engine does not start. I wired in the following sensors:
> > HEGO, MAP, TFI, and TPS (am I missing something else?). I have voltage
> > on both leads of the injectors during crank and run. I am not
> > certain if this indicates the ECC is controlling the circuit. I
> > believe the ECC controls the injectors through two wires (white for
> > 123 and tan for 456) and these wires are grounded by the ECC when each
> > of the respective cylinder fires. I can start the engine by spraying
> > a little gas into the throttle body, but otherwise, I am not getting
> > any fuel through the injectors. I have a couple suspicions: I did not
> > use the vehicle speed sensor system. (I don't think this would matter
> > at start-up), or I have blockage at the injectors (The system sat open
> > for about two years). Help !

To all, for your responses...Thank you...I purchased a set of niod
lights and determined that I did in fact have a flashing light at all
of my injectors...with 60 psi fuel pressure on the rail, this mother
should start...But no..The only thing left to check was the injectors
themselves. As I am a meticulous fellow, I checked and double checked
every wire from every sensor to the ECC and elsewhere, before I
wrapped the new harness. I was certain I did not leave anything out.
I had fuel (to the rail), spark , crank, everything should be correct
(after all this is not rocket science. If a guy can read a schematic
and follow some lines and wire color codes these EFI swaps are a
snap...) So....This afternoon I pulled the fuel rail and injectors and
using a battery and a couple test leads I attempted to manually open
the injectors and none of them worked.!!! thirty minutes in a
denatured alcohol bath and compressed air in both directions with
power to the injectors I had them all working just like a song. I re-
installed them and replaced the upper manifold, and viola!! The engine
fired and purred like a kitten on the first crank....Dirty, stuck
injectors...Who would have thought??? All problems solved... This was
a cool project...Next...My "65 Ford short box step-side will be
getting a '95 EFI 351W can't wait to get that one going....Hopefully
I'll find all the parts I need before the end of summer and I have to