Where is fill plug for rear diff? '87 S-10 Blazer 4WD

Old June 10th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default Where is fill plug for rear diff? '87 S-10 Blazer 4WD

I've committed the classic newbie mistake of draining a fluid before
making sure the fill plug can be removed. Actually, I'm not even sure
if I found the fill plug. There's some kind of square drive which may
be the plug on the passenger side, a little towards the front of the
vehicle, a little over halfway up. My 3/8 extension doesn't quite fit
though, the extension seems a little too big. Can't see any other
plugs, and my Haynes is no help.

Can anyone please confirm the location of and tool needed for the rear
differential fill plug on a '87 S-10 Blazer 4WD?

Thanks!!

Old June 10th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
MasterBlaster

> wrote

> I've committed the classic newbie mistake of draining a fluid before
> making sure the fill plug can be removed. Actually, I'm not even sure
> if I found the fill plug. There's some kind of square drive which may
> be the plug on the passenger side, a little towards the front of the
> vehicle, a little over halfway up. My 3/8 extension doesn't quite fit
> though, the extension seems a little too big. Can't see any other
> plugs, and my Haynes is no help.
>
> Can anyone please confirm the location of and tool needed for the rear
> differential fill plug on a '87 S-10 Blazer 4WD?

That is the plug. 3/8" is the right size.
"Full" is a little below the bottom of the fill hole.
http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

Old June 10th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

> I think you already found it. It can be a tight fit for the 3/8
> extension... you may have to tap it in gently.

Ok, thanks. I'll also try to find a different extension that will
maybe fit better.

> http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...b8/0900823d801...

You know, I keep forgetting that Autozone has stuff like this on their
website. I should remember to check there first next time... thanks
for the link!

Old June 12th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Sigh. Upon closer inspection, it appears the square was slightly
damaged at some point in the past. My further attempts to remove it
have now destroyed it completely, so I will be filling the diff
through the vent hose.

Anybody know how much fluid needs to be put in to bring the level to
3/8" below the fill plug? Any danger in overfilling it?

Old June 12th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
MasterBlaster

> wrote

> Sigh. Upon closer inspection, it appears the square was slightly
> damaged at some point in the past. My further attempts to remove it
> have now destroyed it completely, so I will be filling the diff
> through the vent hose.
>
> Anybody know how much fluid needs to be put in to bring the level to
> 3/8" below the fill plug? Any danger in overfilling it?

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm

First link...
Fig. 1: Capacities

1987
Drive axle
rear
3.5 pints
(1)All capacities are approximate. Add fluid gradually and check
to be sure a proper fluid level is obtained.

Old June 12th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

> http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...39/0900823d801...
>
> First link...
> Fig. 1: Capacities
>
> 1987
> Drive axle
> rear
> 3.5 pints
> (1)All capacities are approximate. Add fluid gradually and check
> to be sure a proper fluid level is obtained.

Haha, tylernt is embarrassed by the Autozone website again!