2000 Grand Cherokee

Old August 26th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
lamulins

Default 2000 Grand Cherokee

Noticed that when I turned off engine there is a slow drip of coolant fluid
coming from frontend. My father says might be water pump. Any ideas on what
it could be are greatly appreciated!! thank you

Old August 26th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

You could be lucky and the water pump is politely failing instead of
just puking all the coolant out at once.....

You need to do a close visual inspection to find out where the leak is
before it damages the engine from overheating.

When the waterpumps fail, you can put your hand under the nose of the
pump to feel for liquid after you shut it off. There is a bearing weep
hole there that will be the first place to show a leak usually if the
pump is failing nicely.

You could also have a loose clamp on a hose or a leak in the rad or any
of the hoses.

The vehicle isn't safe to drive as is with an unknown leak. leaks can
turn into gushers really quickly sometimes.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 26th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Wherever the leak is the fan will have blown it all around the front of the
engine (or the whole engine compartment) so you will need to rinse the
coolant away and then drive a few miles to pinpoint the leak source.

Please note I said 'rinse' not 'steam clean'.

Water pumps often (but not always) get noisier as they start to fail. Noise
indicates a problem but lack of noise does NOT mean that the pump is okay.

If you do need to replace the pump make sure to check the new pump's
impeller, newer 4 liters use a reversed impeller and it will be clearly
marked with an 'R", 'REV'. or "REVERSE' stamped into the impeller.

Also if you need to replace the pump you may want to chemically flush the
cooling system. You may as well do that before you replace the pump as
there is no sense exposing the new one to the cleaner if you don't have to.

Use a flush-n-fill tee...... they are so vastly superior to the old drain
and refill method it isn't comparable and costs less than $5

DC recommends that vehicles that came from the factory with 'American Green'
be upgraded to the new G-05 spec although there is no contraindication to
continuing to use the old formula..... it just doesn't offer the same level
of protection.

Finally make sure you refill with the correct coolant. NOTHING (repeat)
NOTHING made by Prestone or Peak meets either the new 'G-05' spec or the old
'American Green' spec.

The ONLY distributor of the new G-05 spec to the aftermarket is Valvoline's
Zerex G-05 formula in the gold jug. (Valvoline makes the factory fill for
DC, Ford, & Mercedes)

The only supplier *that I am sure of* that still makes the old American
Green is Valvoline's "Original Formula" in the white jug.

Old August 27th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore

> Use a flush-n-fill tee...... they are so vastly superior to the old drain
> and refill method it isn't comparable and costs less than $5

Got one. It's the best way to burp the air out of the system when filling it.
Just open the top a crack and the air rushes out!

> DC recommends that vehicles that came from the factory with 'American Green'
> be upgraded to the new G-05 spec although there is no contraindication to
> continuing to use the old formula..... it just doesn't offer the same level
> of protection.
>
> Finally make sure you refill with the correct coolant. NOTHING (repeat)
> NOTHING made by Prestone or Peak meets either the new 'G-05' spec or the old
> 'American Green' spec.
>
> The ONLY distributor of the new G-05 spec to the aftermarket is Valvoline's
> Zerex G-05 formula in the gold jug. (Valvoline makes the factory fill for
> DC, Ford, & Mercedes)
>
> The only supplier *that I am sure of* that still makes the old American
> Green is Valvoline's "Original Formula" in the white jug.

I used Texaco Green when I replaced it a few weeks ago. I used a bit more then
4.5 quarts so I'm slightly about 50%. The old stuff was weak, slighty cloudy
and had that stale musty smell of being cooped up in a radiator for a few years.

-Scott
'97 TJ SE/almost 75,000 miles.

93 Mustang tach shows 2000 rpm at idle. seems like 2000 rpm is thenew zero??? remove Ford Mustang 5 September 25th 05 06:40 PM
Misfires above 2000 RPM. JimS Jeep 5 March 14th 05 07:08 PM
Follow-up: 2000 Contour miss and Check Engine Light Craig Williams Technology 1 December 31st 04 07:00 AM
reset SRS light on a 2000 Accord ';'%?PF ;/l. Honda 0 December 7th 04 06:16 PM
Lift options for 2000 Chevy Blazer Steve 4x4 4 June 15th 04 05:09 AM