'82 Rabbit blower switch problem

Old August 13th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Rich Wolos

Default '82 Rabbit blower switch problem

Second time this (up-down) off-1-2-3 blower switch has failed.
The replacement for this switch has now been "discontinued."
What to Fix It With(?) Original switch has 5-tabs on the rear,
and was made by Indak of Chicago. The car still runs great,
gets teriffic mileage. [yeah, it's a diesel] :-) tnx rich
Old August 13th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_1_]

IIRC
I had that problem with an '84 Rabbit Diesel.
You have the American Switch that slides instead of the German Switch
(Rotary style).

Did you try some aftermarket places? Or think about converting it over to
the German style?
To convert you will probably need the plug for the switch and any dash
panels needed which might include the heater controls too.

Maybe used if you can't take yours apart and clean up the contacts. Yours
probably burnt too badly though.
In the meantime you could hook up two of the wires together to get the
blower to operate.

good luck,
dave
(One out of many daves)

Old August 13th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
E[_1_]

Rich Wolos wrote:
> Second time this (up-down) off-1-2-3 blower switch has failed.
> The replacement for this switch has now been "discontinued."
> What to Fix It With(?) Original switch has 5-tabs on the rear,
> and was made by Indak of Chicago. The car still runs great,
> gets teriffic mileage. [yeah, it's a diesel] :-) tnx rich

The company Altrom still carries that switch, but you need to get a
parts dealer or mechanic to order the part for you, they should be
about $20 US after they add their mark-up to it. You can look for
parts Altrom carries by going to their website altrom.com (make sure
you get the american site if you are looking for american parts and
prices, there's also a canadian site)

Old August 13th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

> Second time this (up-down) off-1-2-3 blower switch has failed.

I swear this is the same thing found in 1st generation Ford Tempo /
Mercury Topaz. I think I've seen it in an early Escort too. Might be a
close enough fit to work.

Old August 15th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Rich

Rich wrote:

> Second time this (up-down) off-1-2-3 blower switch has failed.
> The replacement for this switch has now been "discontinued."
> What to Fix It With(?) Original switch has 5-tabs on the rear,
> and was made by Indak of Chicago. The car still runs great,
> gets teriffic mileage. [yeah, it's a diesel] :-) tnx rich

Thany you for all the tips!!
As luck would have it, we located an aftermarket VW shop
that had exact replacement switch (P/N 175-959-411-A)
still in original wrapper. So I grabbed it...
Got same mounting holes and all. Good for another 150k!
diesel rich
Old August 18th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bryan K. Walton

On 2006-08-15, Rich > wrote:
> Rich wrote:
>>

> Thany you for all the tips!!
> As luck would have it, we located an aftermarket VW shop
> that had exact replacement switch (P/N 175-959-411-A)
> still in original wrapper. So I grabbed it...
> Got same mounting holes and all. Good for another 150k!
> diesel rich

Rich,
Can you tell me the name and phone number (or website) of the
place that had your switch?

Thanks,
Bryan Walton

--
remove the "REMOVE" from my email to email