1973 Mach 1 radio wiring question (Help)

Old June 12th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default 1973 Mach 1 radio wiring question (Help)

Hi Group,
I am trying to install an original 1973 AM/FM 8-Track radio and cannot find
the what color wires to hook up for power.
I know that the light blue w/ red stripe and black (separate harness from
what I think is the speaker harness) will power up the light. But when I try
the speaker harness, orange w/ green stripe, pink w/ purple stripe, orange
w/ green stripe, pink w/ green stripe, white w/ green strip, black w/ white
dashed stripe (ground?) I get static on the speaker when I drag the wires
accross the wire, but no audio.

Is the only power hook up I need the light blue w/ red stripe and black w/
white stripe for power?
I've searched for a long time online and haven't found any help.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Dave

Old June 12th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article > , nospam wrote:
> Hi Group,
> I am trying to install an original 1973 AM/FM 8-Track radio and cannot find
> the what color wires to hook up for power.
> I know that the light blue w/ red stripe and black (separate harness from
> what I think is the speaker harness) will power up the light. But when I try
> the speaker harness, orange w/ green stripe, pink w/ purple stripe, orange
> w/ green stripe, pink w/ green stripe, white w/ green strip, black w/ white
> dashed stripe (ground?) I get static on the speaker when I drag the wires
> accross the wire, but no audio.
>
> Is the only power hook up I need the light blue w/ red stripe and black w/
> white stripe for power?

That's what it looks like...

here's the radio section of my 1973 maverick wiring diagram.... some
difference in wire colors but maybe it helps.

http://www.geocities.com/tetraethyll...avradio001.jpg

Old June 12th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

I know that the light blue w/ red stripe and black (separate harness
from
> what I think is the speaker harness) will power up the light

Is the only power hook up I need the light blue w/ red stripe and black
w/
> white stripe for power?

Old Ford (70's) radios, most did not have a black ground wire as such.
Usually the radio got its ground from a metal bracket bolted to the
metal dash, or a seperate bolted on ground strap. The blue/red is +12
v for the dial illumination only, the black/white stripe is not a
ground but needs +12 v through the key for the radio to operate. You
should have a yellow/ blackstripe or dashes and the blue/red in your
car, the yellow/black (+12 v key) should go to the black/white. Verify
what I am saying by using an ohm meter from the radio case to the
black/white on the radio and you should not see a dead short, if it was
a ground it would show as a dead short. Also use small amp fuse (3 or
4 amp) on power supply just while testing to try prevent accidental
damage to your radio should you make wiring error.

Old June 12th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Thanks for posting that!
I do have a little confusion on the wire labeled "296 W - P" on the diagram.
What color wire is "W - P"?
Thanks,
Dave

. ..

Old June 12th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"nospam" > wrote in message
m...
> Thanks for posting that!
> I do have a little confusion on the wire labeled "296 W - P" on the
> diagram.
> What color wire is "W - P"?
> Thanks,
> Dave
>

> "Brent P" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> In article > , nospam
>> wrote:
>>> Hi Group,
>>> I am trying to install an original 1973 AM/FM 8-Track radio and cannot
>>> find
>>> the what color wires to hook up for power.
>>> I know that the light blue w/ red stripe and black (separate harness
>>> from
>>> what I think is the speaker harness) will power up the light. But when I
>>> try
>>> the speaker harness, orange w/ green stripe, pink w/ purple stripe,
>>> orange
>>> w/ green stripe, pink w/ green stripe, white w/ green strip, black w/
>>> white
>>> dashed stripe (ground?) I get static on the speaker when I drag the
>>> wires
>>> accross the wire, but no audio.
>>>
>>> Is the only power hook up I need the light blue w/ red stripe and black
>>> w/
>>> white stripe for power?

>> That's what it looks like...
>>
>> here's the radio section of my 1973 maverick wiring diagram.... some
>> difference in wire colors but maybe it helps.
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/tetraethyll...avradio001.jpg

THE FORD SUPPLIED wire manuals do not list a code key for the wire colors.
it is in the wire number i.e circuit number 296 white with pink tracer.
hope this helps
walt

Old June 12th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article >, walt peifer wrote:

> "nospam" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Thanks for posting that!
>> I do have a little confusion on the wire labeled "296 W - P" on the
>> diagram.
>> What color wire is "W - P"?

> THE FORD SUPPLIED wire manuals do not list a code key for the wire colors.
> it is in the wire number i.e circuit number 296 white with pink tracer.
> hope this helps

THe one I have does, I just don't have it with me and was going to
respond when I got home...

Old June 12th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Thank you very much, Rich!!!
That was it! Thanks to eveyone else as well.
Who would've ever thought a black wire would be +12V? Maybe Ford did that on
purpose to keep DIYers from fiddling?

This group is great. Everyone I've met with a Mustang (both here and in
person) have been some of the nicest people anywhere.

I owe you one Rich!

Best regards,
Dave

ups.com...

Old June 13th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Glad you've got tunes, now you have to find some 8 tracks. Here's an
old radio on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4647845156
you can see the black and blue wire together on the plug, the little
black plastic thing on the black wire is a noise filter(choke), so you
know thats the +ve power wire, & gets grnd from the rear brace.

<<I owe you one Rich!>>

Feel free to bid on one of my slot cars