Renting a 2005 GT

Old June 23rd 05, 03:59 AM
John

Default Renting a 2005 GT

The wife and I are taking our little girl to college in Tampa on July 2nd.
After we get her moved in, we have a 2005 Mustang GT reserved at the airport
Avis on July 6th. Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha! At that time, we also slither
over to the Clearwater beach area for some much better accomodations until
we fly home on the 13th! Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha!

--
John
ThunderSnake #59

Old July 16th 05, 02:00 PM
John

Well, I didn't get a GT :-( , but luckily AVIS did have a silver V6 Mustang
hardtop that I rented :-) . They may not even buy GTs for rent. All I saw
was V6's. I suspect the person I talked to when reserving the car was
clueless. When I went to pick up the car I played dumb to see the show.
"I'm so and so and I have a reservation". The lady studied and studied her
screen and said to me, "what does FMSTN mean? Says you want a FMSTN. I
have no clue what that is" Dooohhh! So I told her I requested a Ford
Mustang GT. She continues to study her screen and calls out back. Yep, a
silver V6 just came out of the wash! She gives me the contract and says the
keys are above the visor so they don't have to walk up front. So off I go.
My smile getting bigger as I get closer to the car!

Wow!

It looks good (despite a few scatches here and there). It sounds real good
too. Sounds more like a V8 than a V6. Ford must have put some resources
into that! Drives and handles excellent. When accelerating hard the 4
speed automatic sounds more like a manual that is power shifting (revs up
for a fraction of a second between gears). Did they do that on purpose, or
was this one defective? It sounds real mean when it did it, but I'd think
that'd slow down your times at the track. Let's see. What's more
important? Marketing (sounds real mean) or performance (slower times on the
1/4 mile). Yep, they did it on purpose.

It was a very enjoyable ride for the few days we had it. Hurricane Dennis
brought some wind and rain to the Tampa area so we cancelled our subsequent
stay in Clearwater and headed home.

--
John
ThunderSnake #59

Old July 16th 05, 07:15 PM
moco

You can not rent a V8 due to Insurance issue with the rental dealer,
It just cost them way to much. You can get them at higher end rental
places. Here in LA I've rented a V6 when they first hit Avis, they
have two versions of the V6 one is the plain Jane which you can't
adjust the dash lights and other little tweaks, the other you can.
The only place in LA where I could rent a V8 is at the budget rental
place in Beverly Hills and they are expensive as hell, but then I
could rent a Bentley, Porsche, or whatever other exotic you can think
of.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:00:10 -0400, "John"

Old July 21st 05, 03:12 AM
Paul

at 16 Jul 2005, John ]
wrote in :

> It looks good (despite a few scatches here and there). It sounds
> real good too. Sounds more like a V8 than a V6. Ford must have put
> some resources into that! Drives and handles excellent. When
> accelerating hard the 4 speed automatic sounds more like a manual
> that is power shifting (revs up for a fraction of a second between
> gears). Did they do that on purpose, or was this one defective? It
> sounds real mean when it did it, but I'd think that'd slow down your
> times at the track. Let's see. What's more important? Marketing
> (sounds real mean) or performance (slower times on the 1/4 mile).
> Yep, they did it on purpose.

It runs even nicer when you switch the O/D off. The button is on the
right side of the T-bar handle. :-) Been in your shoes, had one of
those for about 2 weeks. Very, very nice. They had to pry the keys out
of my tighly clutched fingers upon returning it. *grin* Actually, I
think it outperforms a stock pre 05 GT or at least will give it a run
for it's money. Even better, Avis has these puppys listed as
intermediate car. Beats the *@&^$ out of those Chevy Malibu's in the
same class. Or those silly Pontiac Grand Am's. Red lighted gauges, who
ever came up with that idea?

The only thing better is the 05 Mustang convertible which Hertz already
has and Avis is just getting in. I doubt that's an intermediate though.
I also doubt the company I subcontract for will rent me a convertible.

And confirming your hunch, neither Avis nor Hertz rents out 05 Mustang
GT's. They both probably remember Hertz's little lessen a while back
with renting out Mustang GT's that ending up being raced etc.. :-)

--
_ 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe (Bright Blue)
|_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA)

Old July 22nd 05, 05:15 PM
Martin

I rented an 05 V6 coupe in Las Vegas in April from Hertz. Was told at
the counter no racing allowed. V6 verts all over the place the whole
week I was there.
Martin
2002 GT 5 spd