Colorado bans radar jammers

Old June 13th 05, 08:17 PM
brink

"Ted B." > wrote in message
eenews.net...

>> We're talking about an off-ramp here. Generally the way it works is
>> you glance at your speedometer while you are decelerating in the
>> deceleration lane, verify that you have scrubbed off enough speed to
>> enter the turn,

> You need a speedometer for that?!? C'mon . . . -Dave

i'll admit that it helps for me... when cruising along at 75-80 MPH on the
interstate, your speed perception sometimes gets a little skewed, especially
when making a very sudden deceleration for an exit. 45 MPH can feel like
you're crawling! and of course many exits are advised at much much less
than that.

brink

Old June 13th 05, 08:45 PM
C.H.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:35:25 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:

> Got news for you;I'm an experienced electronic technician with microwave
> training,experienced in use of spectrum analyzers and mW power measuring
> meters,and have worked on HF electronics since I was a teenager. AND,I
> know what a Gunn oscillator is,and how they work.

As a technician you should really know how amateurs can mess electronic
circuitry up. And that in HF circuitry even minute mistakes in both design
and assembly can lead to quite unfriendly frequency spectrum
characteristics. And that the oscillator is not the only part in a
transmitter, that influences these characteristics.

But as I said, you are driven by need to be right, not by an interest in
the topic.

Chris
Old June 13th 05, 08:49 PM
william lynch

brink wrote:

> "Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
>
>>Pat O'Connell wrote:

>>>AFAIK ramps are never marked as "constant radius."

>>They don't have to be marked constant radius. Non-constant radius curves
>>on ramps and highways are not frequently encountered and should be noted
>>through yellow diamond signage.

>>>It's your funeral.

>>So you're saying that I should ignore what's ahead of me in the curve as
>>well as not pay attention to traffic on the road I'm planning to merge on
>>and just look at my speedometer then?

> how long does it take most people to glance at their speedometer? i use it
> as reference all the time when heading onto an offramp with a turn obscured
> by a bridge, a grade, or darkness. i rekon i can see in a split second what
> my current speed is as i decelerate, and i check that against the advisory
> speed limit.

If you just need an approximate idea, then your speed guage
should be readible through peripheral vision.
Old June 13th 05, 11:36 PM
Jim Yanik

"C.H." > wrote in
news
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:35:25 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:
>
>> Got news for you;I'm an experienced electronic technician with
>> microwave training,experienced in use of spectrum analyzers and mW
>> power measuring meters,and have worked on HF electronics since I was
>> a teenager. AND,I know what a Gunn oscillator is,and how they work.

> As a technician you should really know how amateurs can mess
> electronic circuitry up. And that in HF circuitry even minute mistakes
> in both design and assembly can lead to quite unfriendly frequency
> spectrum characteristics. And that the oscillator is not the only part
> in a transmitter, that influences these characteristics.

I see you still do not know what a Gunn oscillator is or how they work.
If we were talking about other sorts of jammers on other frequency
bands,you would be correct.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old June 13th 05, 11:47 PM
Jim Yanik

Bert Hyman > wrote in
:

> (Sir Ray) wrote in
> oups.com:
>
>> Didn't our favorite show, 'Mythbusters', recently do a segment on
>> this and similar type of 'radar fooling' techniques (including
>> shiny disks/spheres hanging from mirrors, aluminum foils, and
>> radar-absorbant paints?
>> Nothing seemed to work.

> Correction: Nothing ->legal seemed to work.
>
> It's technically quite straightforward to build active RF devices
> which will defeat traffic RADAR. They're [probably] also illegal to
> use. I qualify that statement with "probably" because I haven't
> actually tried to find Federal law that definitely covers this, but I
> can't imagine that the feds would leave this stone unturned.
>
> I don't know if anybody has researched devices for defeating LASER
> speed measuring devices.

Lidatek has(had?) a working laser jammer on the market.There was an
independent organization that tested them and found them to work.
I believe there are not any Federal laws on laser jamming,but many States
have laws on their books about them,usually something about interfering
with law enforcement.

The main problems with laser jamming are the narrow beamwidth and getting
enough optical power to the laser gun to overcome their signal.The laser
gun can have a narrow field-of-view to receive the reflected signal,but the
jammer has to send a wide beam to insure some of the signal gets to the
narrow view of the laser gun at whatever angle the speed gun is off the
axis of your vehicle.The wide beam necessary reduces your effective output
power to the speed gun.
Jamming would also be more apparent to the speed gun operator.

Then there are passive measures that can be used with laser speed
guns;reducing the reflected pulses from your vehicle by darkening surfaces
that would reflect them.Getting rid of any front plate would be the 1st
step,then somehow shielding your headlights and front turnsignals would be
#2. Then blackening any chrome or shiny surfaces.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old June 14th 05, 05:04 AM
C.H.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:36:14 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:

> I see you still do not know what a Gunn oscillator is or how they work. If
> we were talking about other sorts of jammers on other frequency bands,you
> would be correct.

And I see you still lack the understanding that the oscillator is not the
only part that influences the HF characteristics of a transmitter. What
you need to do is attend a few classes in HF electronics at your local
university. There they will tell you why even sloppy workmanship and
even more so amateur design can lead to very undesirable HF
characteristics.

I rather doubt that with your elite background as an electronics
technician you will believe what a 'lowly' electrical engineer tells you,
but I at least tried. Let's hope you at least dont manage to get someone
killed with your illegal radar jammer experiments.

Chris
Old June 14th 05, 05:29 AM
The Real Bev

Arif Khokar wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
> > Most laws that prevent us from doing
> > perfectly rational things were devised by and/or for people who are not
> > capable of being rational.

> As always, people come up with unfounded reasons as to what they think
> is the reasoning behind a given law. As I've posted before, most stop
> signs could be replaced by yield signs. In Europe, stops signs are
> relatively rare.
>
> It would make much more sense to not issue a license to people who
> cannot act rationally.

But then they could sue for discrimination.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old June 14th 05, 01:46 PM
Jim Yanik

"C.H." > wrote in
news
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:36:14 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:
>
>> I see you still do not know what a Gunn oscillator is or how they
>> work. If we were talking about other sorts of jammers on other
>> frequency bands,you would be correct.

> And I see you still lack the understanding that the oscillator is not
> the only part that influences the HF characteristics of a transmitter.
> What you need to do is attend a few classes in HF electronics at your
> local university. There they will tell you why even sloppy workmanship
> and even more so amateur design can lead to very undesirable HF
> characteristics.

WRT general HF circuitry,you are correct.
But since you lack the understanding of microwave circuitry or Gunn
oscillators,in that specific case you are wrong.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old June 14th 05, 08:42 PM
C.H.

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:46:25 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:

> WRT general HF circuitry,you are correct. But since you lack the
> understanding of microwave circuitry or Gunn oscillators,in that specific
> case you are wrong.

Hm, another typical technician. Thinks he knows everything and if someone,
even an engineer, doesn't bow to his superior knowledge he starts throwing
insults at random.

Sorry, Jim, I am not interested in a mudslinging contest, so for me its
EOT here.

Chris