'93 LX 5.0 Cat-Back Suggestions

Old June 10th 05, 03:58 PM
dwight

"dwight" > wrote in message

> Okay, I'm back. Yes, some slight corrosion, but mostly just dirty (sue
> me). The metal is still very sound. If I hadn't just moved, I'd pull out
> the records and tell you how old they are - I think at least 5 years.

No wonder they're in such good shape - they went on in March 2003! I'd swear
it was longer ago, but that's about right. The stock pipes lasted almost 10
years before they just fell off.

I bought the GT convertible later that year, and its first fix was the
SuperTurbos that I had installed, so it would pass PA inspection. It's all
coming back to me now...

That's why it's important for us Old Farts to keep records.

)

Old June 10th 05, 05:34 PM
IsellJeeps

lol thanks

Jarod sprauer

. ..

Old June 11th 05, 12:08 AM
Joe

"dwight" > wrote in
:

> "Joe" > wrote in message
> news
>> "dwight" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> "Joe" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>> "dwight" > wrote in

>> 4
>>>
>>> Thanks. Now I'm looking at the crate 302s again...

>> Yeah, they're pretty cool. Not too streetable, but neat
>> nonetheless...

> ?? The "beginner's model" 302, rated at 315HP/305ft.-lbs... why not
> streetable? I'm not taking TFrog to the track every week, but a
> replacement 5.0 that makes 100HP more than I have now? And almost a
> direct drop-in... I could learn to live with it.

I was looking at different ones...
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=6531
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=7092

>>> The Dynomax pipes are mandrel bent.

>> Nice.

>>> I remember what a happy day it was, when one of my pipes just
>>> broke. That was some years ago, but it meant that I could go
>>> shopping for a new set-up. I also remember asking just about the
>>> same questions you are, and settled on the UltraFlows, because I
>>> wanted a quieter sound for puttering around the neighborhood, but
>>> a somewhat meaner note at acceleration. Where the stock pipes were
>>> definitely a tenor, the UltraFlows would be baritone.

>> Good way of describing them. I think I'd like the deeper tone.

> If I had the equipment, I'd send you sound files of both cars. I
> really like the "note".

Got one of those diskless mp3 players? Some record voice too. So
get hold of one and record the exhaust. Then transfer the file to
your computer and e-mail it to me.

>>> You got me curious, so I just stepped outside to poke around under
>>> TFrog. The pipes are still very healthy, although several inches
>>> of pipe just after the mufflers are showing signs of age. The
>>> mufflers, themselves, still look new.

>> Did you poke at them for soft spots? The LX's Flows looked ok, but
>> there were a bunch of soft spots that will probably give way after
>> a few more months or so.

> Yeah, sure, I'll poke at 'em with a stick. No way! They're corroded,
> but I don't want to force the issue by poking holes in the pipes.
> Okay, okay, I'll look for "soft spots" - but if I DO make holes, I'm
> just going to have to get ME a new exhaust...
>
> Okay, I'm back. Yes, some slight corrosion, but mostly just dirty
> (sue me). The metal is still very sound. If I hadn't just moved, I'd
> pull out the records and tell you how old they are - I think at
> least 5 years.

I read the other post, and they'd better be good for only a few years.
Mine are something like 6 years or more.. don't remember anymore.

>>> Hah! I've offered the convertible to my daughter, for the
>>> occasional cruise this summer, but I'd still be sweating it out if
>>> she ever took me up on it. There's no way in this life that I'd
>>> let my son drive either Mustang - but you'd have to know my son to
>>> understand. I don't think he'd be all that interested, anyway.

>> You're referring to The Boy I assume..

> The Boy - who lives out of state and seems to have forgotten my
> birthday.

Hmm, you can always write him out of the will.

>>> I don't even like to see a mechanic drive my cars, if only from
>>> the parking spot into the bay. I am one nervous owner...
>>>
>>> dwight

>> I know what you mean, as I'm sort of the same way. But I force
>> myself to just let it go and deal with it. At our age there are
>> more important things to sweat over, eh?

> ... Can't think of any. I have to go fill up the John Deere now.
>
> dwight

Yes, I have to go rent a $4 movie for tonight. Such wonderful down
at the video store...

Old June 11th 05, 12:36 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

:

:

> wrote in message
oglegroups.com...

>>>4

>>>Yeah, they're pretty cool. Not too streetable, but neat
>>>nonetheless...

>>?? The "beginner's model" 302, rated at 315HP/305ft.-lbs... why not
>>streetable? I'm not taking TFrog to the track every week, but a
>>replacement 5.0 that makes 100HP more than I have now? And almost a
>>direct drop-in... I could learn to live with it.

> I was looking at different ones...
> http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=6531
> http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=7092

>>>Nice.

>>>Good way of describing them. I think I'd like the deeper tone.

>>If I had the equipment, I'd send you sound files of both cars. I
>>really like the "note".

> Got one of those diskless mp3 players? Some record voice too. So
> get hold of one and record the exhaust. Then transfer the file to
> your computer and e-mail it to me.

>>>Did you poke at them for soft spots? The LX's Flows looked ok, but
>>>there were a bunch of soft spots that will probably give way after
>>>a few more months or so.

>>Yeah, sure, I'll poke at 'em with a stick. No way! They're corroded,
>>but I don't want to force the issue by poking holes in the pipes.
>>Okay, okay, I'll look for "soft spots" - but if I DO make holes, I'm
>>just going to have to get ME a new exhaust...
>>
>>Okay, I'm back. Yes, some slight corrosion, but mostly just dirty
>>(sue me). The metal is still very sound. If I hadn't just moved, I'd
>>pull out the records and tell you how old they are - I think at
>>least 5 years.

> I read the other post, and they'd better be good for only a few years.
> Mine are something like 6 years or more.. don't remember anymore.

>>>You're referring to The Boy I assume..

>>The Boy - who lives out of state and seems to have forgotten my
>>birthday.

> Hmm, you can always write him out of the will.

>>>I know what you mean, as I'm sort of the same way. But I force
>>>myself to just let it go and deal with it. At our age there are
>>>more important things to sweat over, eh?

>>... Can't think of any. I have to go fill up the John Deere now.
>>
>>dwight

> Yes, I have to go rent a $4 movie for tonight. Such wonderful down
> at the video store...

This is somewhat off topic but have you checked out Netflix? I signed
up recently and have been fairly impressed with their service. I can
send three movies back Sunday afternoon and have three more by the
following Wednesday. It takes a movie one day from ordering to showing
up in our mail box! It takes 2-4 weeks for the latest releases to show
up on the site but it is convenient. The movies come with a return
envelope that already has return postage on it. Very convenient. Plus
DVD burners and blank media are cheap nowadays.
Old June 11th 05, 03:45 PM
Joe

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:

:

:

> wrote in message
ooglegroups.com...

> [...]

PartKeyFiel

6

7
>> 092

>>>If I had the equipment, I'd send you sound files of both cars. I
>>>really like the "note".

>> Got one of those diskless mp3 players? Some record voice too. So
>> get hold of one and record the exhaust. Then transfer the file to
>> your computer and e-mail it to me.

>>>Yeah, sure, I'll poke at 'em with a stick. No way! They're
>>>corroded, but I don't want to force the issue by poking holes in
>>>the pipes. Okay, okay, I'll look for "soft spots" - but if I DO
>>>make holes, I'm just going to have to get ME a new exhaust...
>>>
>>>Okay, I'm back. Yes, some slight corrosion, but mostly just dirty
>>>(sue me). The metal is still very sound. If I hadn't just moved,
>>>I'd pull out the records and tell you how old they are - I think at
>>>least 5 years.

>> I read the other post, and they'd better be good for only a few
>> years. Mine are something like 6 years or more.. don't remember
>> anymore.

>>>The Boy - who lives out of state and seems to have forgotten my
>>>birthday.

>> Hmm, you can always write him out of the will.

>>>... Can't think of any. I have to go fill up the John Deere now.
>>>
>>>dwight

>> Yes, I have to go rent a $4 movie for tonight. Such wonderful down
>> at the video store...

> This is somewhat off topic but have you checked out Netflix? I
> signed up recently and have been fairly impressed with their
> service. I can send three movies back Sunday afternoon and have
> three more by the following Wednesday. It takes a movie one day
> from ordering to showing up in our mail box! It takes 2-4 weeks for
> the latest releases to show up on the site but it is convenient.
> The movies come with a return envelope that already has return
> postage on it. Very convenient. Plus DVD burners and blank media
> are cheap nowadays.

We only watch a couple a month, so I don't know if I want to join a
service just for that. Hell, we go to Wendy's more than we watch
videos.

I hear you about the DVD burners, but my PC is only a 450 P-III.
Don't know if it'll handle burning DVDs...

Old June 11th 05, 07:21 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

:

:

:

> PartKeyFiel

>>>I was looking at different ones...
>>>http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...?PartKeyField=

> 6
>
>>>531
>>>http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...?PartKeyField=

> 7
>
>>>092

>>>Got one of those diskless mp3 players? Some record voice too. So
>>>get hold of one and record the exhaust. Then transfer the file to
>>>your computer and e-mail it to me.

>>>I read the other post, and they'd better be good for only a few
>>>years. Mine are something like 6 years or more.. don't remember
>>>anymore.

>>>Hmm, you can always write him out of the will.

>>>Yes, I have to go rent a $4 movie for tonight. Such wonderful down
>>>at the video store...

>>This is somewhat off topic but have you checked out Netflix? I
>>signed up recently and have been fairly impressed with their
>>service. I can send three movies back Sunday afternoon and have
>>three more by the following Wednesday. It takes a movie one day
>>from ordering to showing up in our mail box! It takes 2-4 weeks for
>>the latest releases to show up on the site but it is convenient.
>>The movies come with a return envelope that already has return
>>postage on it. Very convenient. Plus DVD burners and blank media
>>are cheap nowadays.

> We only watch a couple a month, so I don't know if I want to join a
> service just for that. Hell, we go to Wendy's more than we watch
> videos.

They have different plans. I pay $17/month to have three movies in
rotation. For $9/month there is a one movie rotation plan. Sounds like
that would be a plan you might consider. I like the convenience of it
more than anything. Plus they have a large library of DVD's from
current stuff to old movies from the 1950's and numerous television shows.

> I hear you about the DVD burners, but my PC is only a 450 P-III.
> Don't know if it'll handle burning DVDs...

It may not work. It might though if you had a good bit of RAM.

Old June 12th 05, 01:10 AM
Joe

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:
<snip>
>>>This is somewhat off topic but have you checked out Netflix? I
>>>signed up recently and have been fairly impressed with their
>>>service. I can send three movies back Sunday afternoon and have
>>>three more by the following Wednesday. It takes a movie one day
>>>from ordering to showing up in our mail box! It takes 2-4 weeks for
>>>the latest releases to show up on the site but it is convenient.
>>>The movies come with a return envelope that already has return
>>>postage on it. Very convenient. Plus DVD burners and blank media
>>>are cheap nowadays.

>> We only watch a couple a month, so I don't know if I want to join a
>> service just for that. Hell, we go to Wendy's more than we watch
>> videos.

> They have different plans. I pay $17/month to have three movies in
> rotation. For $9/month there is a one movie rotation plan. Sounds
> like that would be a plan you might consider. I like the
> convenience of it more than anything. Plus they have a large
> library of DVD's from current stuff to old movies from the 1950's
> and numerous television shows.

That's not bad, but the two or three times I go to the video store a
month I rarely find more than one video I want to watch. Does Netflix
carry music concerts? Now I could go for that...

>> I hear you about the DVD burners, but my PC is only a 450 P-III.
>> Don't know if it'll handle burning DVDs...

> It may not work. It might though if you had a good bit of RAM.

This thing's maxed out at 384mb RAM. I think I'll need to upgrade
before I start getting into DVDs on the PC.
Old June 12th 05, 02:04 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

Joe wrote:
> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
> :
> <snip>

>>>We only watch a couple a month, so I don't know if I want to join a
>>>service just for that. Hell, we go to Wendy's more than we watch
>>>videos.

>>They have different plans. I pay $17/month to have three movies in
>>rotation. For $9/month there is a one movie rotation plan. Sounds
>>like that would be a plan you might consider. I like the
>>convenience of it more than anything. Plus they have a large
>>library of DVD's from current stuff to old movies from the 1950's
>>and numerous television shows.

> That's not bad, but the two or three times I go to the video store a
> month I rarely find more than one video I want to watch. Does Netflix
> carry music concerts? Now I could go for that...

They have a ton of music related DVD's. Here a link to their page on
music DVD's: http://www.netflix.com/Genre?sgid=35...tr=LhcGenre355

>>>I hear you about the DVD burners, but my PC is only a 450 P-III.
>>>Don't know if it'll handle burning DVDs...

>>It may not work. It might though if you had a good bit of RAM.

> This thing's maxed out at 384mb RAM. I think I'll need to upgrade
> before I start getting into DVDs on the PC.

If I didn't use Autocad and Civil Engineering software I might still be
running a 486 processor.
Old June 12th 05, 01:00 PM
Joe

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:

> Joe wrote:
>> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
>> :
>> <snip>

>>>They have different plans. I pay $17/month to have three movies in
>>>rotation. For $9/month there is a one movie rotation plan. Sounds
>>>like that would be a plan you might consider. I like the
>>>convenience of it more than anything. Plus they have a large
>>>library of DVD's from current stuff to old movies from the 1950's
>>>and numerous television shows.

>> That's not bad, but the two or three times I go to the video store
>> a month I rarely find more than one video I want to watch. Does
>> Netflix carry music concerts? Now I could go for that...

> They have a ton of music related DVD's. Here a link to their page
> on music DVD's:
> http://www.netflix.com/Genre?sgid=35...tr=LhcGenre355

Now that looks very interesting. I'll have to check this out further.
Nobody locally carries music videos (i.e., Clapton's Crossroads) to
rent - only movies and games. Of course, I can go plop down $25 or
more to buy them, but I'd rather preview them first by renting.

>>>It may not work. It might though if you had a good bit of RAM.

>> This thing's maxed out at 384mb RAM. I think I'll need to upgrade
>> before I start getting into DVDs on the PC.

> If I didn't use Autocad and Civil Engineering software I might still
> be running a 486 processor.

LOL! I can get by with my P-III, but if I try to multitask, crash and
burn...
Old June 12th 05, 05:14 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

:
>>><snip>

>>>That's not bad, but the two or three times I go to the video store
>>>a month I rarely find more than one video I want to watch. Does
>>>Netflix carry music concerts? Now I could go for that...

>>They have a ton of music related DVD's. Here a link to their page
>>on music DVD's:
>>http://www.netflix.com/Genre?sgid=35...tr=LhcGenre355

> Now that looks very interesting. I'll have to check this out further.
> Nobody locally carries music videos (i.e., Clapton's Crossroads) to
> rent - only movies and games. Of course, I can go plop down $25 or
> more to buy them, but I'd rather preview them first by renting.

This is where the DVD burner pays off in spades.

>>>This thing's maxed out at 384mb RAM. I think I'll need to upgrade
>>>before I start getting into DVDs on the PC.

>>If I didn't use Autocad and Civil Engineering software I might still
>>be running a 486 processor.

> LOL! I can get by with my P-III, but if I try to multitask, crash and
> burn...

I have fast computers but one problem I have run into is the operating
system. There is one old civil engineering program I use that that will
not run under Windows XP. I've tried everything and searched everywhere
to find a work around. It's amazing how many companies have dropped
support for Windows 98/ME. I recently set up a Windows ME computer at
home and had a hell of a time finding drivers for some digitizers and
plotters since I lost the original driver disks. Plus Microsoft is
supposed to stop supporting Windows 9X this summer. I guess I'll have
to bite the bullet eventually and learn to use the new software I
havesitting around collecting dust.