MX5 HKS turbo charged...questions.

Old July 10th 05, 12:14 PM
Jim

Default MX5 HKS turbo charged...questions.

Hi MX5'ers

Currently looking at a 1992 MX5 1600cc. Its a friends car and I'm new to the
MX5 so would like to ask a few questions. The car currently has a HKS T25
turbo kit but nothing else such as intercooler. Engine block and head is
completely OE with no modifications whatsoever. I might get an intercooler
installed on the car with a boost controller and stronger brakes but apart
from that no more.

I would like to ask a few questions regarding the engine and gearbox of the
MX5. The car in question has 3 previous owners but my friend knows them all.

Questions:

1) The gearbox still feels tight as its only covered 15,000miles, true or
not hard to say. It's a 1992 model so any known faults from this year or
common problems that need attention? The car will only be used for weekends
as a fun car and project car for power.

2)Well maybe get new suspension too but which brand and type is best for the
MX5? I am looking for a firm yet comfortable ride without ruining the car's
excellent handling?

3)What kind of repairs or servicing would I be expected to carry out on such
year ? All fluids and such will be changed and brakes checked for function.

4)Considering completely respraying the car so how hard is it to strip down
for a good spray job?

5)Whats the max turbo boost one can use from only a T25 installed?

Thats all I can think of the time being but if I have left anything out
please kindly list. Appreciate all replies and help and who knows I might
have the car very soon if all goes well.

Thanks and appreicate all replies.

Jim

Old July 11th 05, 12:08 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

First of all, you're highly unlikely to ever regret the purchase /
experience. The miata's a great platform in its original form and solid to
build on / from.

As for maintainence, you might consider the timing belt due to age and
stress with the SC but even that isn't critical as it would be in an
'interference engine' so you could even wait on that.

I love the adjustability of my KYB AGX shocks and I feel the FM sway bars
are the best $200 ever spent on my car! I'd add that tires can make a huge
difference in the car. There is endless debate on tires but you would
probably be best served by the Toyo T1S's since you won't be putting lotas
of miles and probably thier biggest drawback is considered thier price.

I'll let others get into the SC'r questions, I, so far, have only dreamed of
such decisions!

Chris
92BB&T

Old July 11th 05, 01:05 AM
Mal Osborne

Jim Wrote:
"car currently has a HKS T25 turbo kit"
"Engine block and head is completely OE with no modifications whatsoever"

HUH? That would be a very incompetant modification, highly unlikely anyone
with any idea of what they are doing would have done that. For
turbocharging to work, you need to somehow lower the engine's compression.
Without doing this, a turbo will just make your motor ping a lot. Usually
headwork is the easiest way to decrease compression. Unless you have
something else, like a spacer head gasket, or an "unstroker" crank, the
turbo job is unfinished.

The maximum boost depends a lot on how much you have lowered your
compression. In your case, you could only have a tiny amount, and are not
going to see any significant performance gains.

Old July 11th 05, 01:21 AM
XS11E

"Mal Osborne" > wrote in:

> That would be a very incompetant modification, highly unlikely anyone
> with any idea of what they are doing would have done that. For
> turbocharging to work, you need to somehow lower the engine's compression.

Mazda's website shows the Miata has a compression ratio of 10.0:1 and the
Miata Speed's ratio is 9.5:1. The difference isn't much and I suspect that
going to premium fuel would probably eliminate most pinging....

Old July 11th 05, 03:37 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Mal Osborne" > wrote:

> HUH? That would be a very incompetant modification, highly unlikely anyone
> with any idea of what they are doing would have done that. For
> turbocharging to work, you need to somehow lower the engine's compression.
> Without doing this, a turbo will just make your motor ping a lot.

I suspect the HKS kit is much like the simple GReddy turbo or JR
supercharger kits, which work fine with unmodified engines at 5 psi if
the base timing is retarded 6 degrees or so and premium fuel is used (or
if an aftermarket boost/timing solution is installed). 5 psi is worth
about 35 rwhp on a 1.6; whether or not that's "significant" is a matter
of personal perspective; it's certainly tangible, and about as much as
the stock clutch can handle reliably.

Hundreds if not thousands of MX-5s worldwide are using similar systems.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old July 11th 05, 11:34 AM
Mal Osborne

A 2004 Miata turbo is a very mild turbo job, hence compression is only
mildly reduced. Boost is kept low, at 7.25PSI, power is increased by about
25%, but with a narrower delivery curve. Without modifying compression, I
guess you could run maybe 5 pounds and get perhaps 15% on standard fuel, a
little more on premium. There will be a small weight penalty as well

I would not bother, without a compression decrease any power gains will be
minimal.

Old July 11th 05, 03:49 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Mal Osborne" > wrote:

> Without modifying compression, I
> guess you could run maybe 5 pounds and get perhaps 15% on standard fuel, a
> little more on premium. There will be a small weight penalty as well
>
> I would not bother, without a compression decrease any power gains will be
> minimal.

You might get an argument from hundreds of FM2 owners running 12 psi and
getting 225-240 rwhp on stock internals in their daily drivers (a stock
1.6 makes about 90 rwhp). Sure, it's more efficient to lower compression
for high boost, but it's expensive, and unnecessary with intercooling
and proper engine management.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old July 11th 05, 04:18 PM
XS11E

Lanny Chambers > wrote in:

> In article >,
> "Mal Osborne" > wrote:
>
>> Without modifying compression, I
>> guess you could run maybe 5 pounds and get perhaps 15% on standard fuel, a
>> little more on premium. There will be a small weight penalty as well
>>
>> I would not bother, without a compression decrease any power gains will be
>> minimal.

> You might get an argument from hundreds of FM2 owners running 12 psi and
> getting 225-240 rwhp on stock internals in their daily drivers (a stock
> 1.6 makes about 90 rwhp). Sure, it's more efficient to lower compression
> for high boost, but it's expensive, and unnecessary with intercooling
> and proper engine management.

People who are used to the "rules" with 500 ci V8 engines with 4" diameter
pistons are often confused by what can be done in little bitty
(comparitively) combustion chambers. Anyone recall the old Crosley cars?
They had the Super Sport version running a 12:1 compression ration back in
the 1950s using water/alcohol injection. Had the engine been much larger
than 725ccs it would never have worked.

Old July 12th 05, 03:26 PM
Jim

Hi Chris

What spring rates do the KYB shocks use and thickness of the FM bars front
and rear?

Thanks

Jim

Old July 13th 05, 05:18 PM
Chris D'Agnolo

Jim,

Sorry, your post got a bit hijacked. I don't know the sway bar dimensions, I
was thinking that FM only sold one front and one rear bar but I could be
wrong. As for the springs, I installed the KYB's with the stock springs. I'd
heard plenty of people singing the praises of this set up and I really like
it. I guess an inch or so of drop would be nice but unless I was really
wanting that, or just didn't have any quams about spending the additional
cash, I'd stick w/ the stock springs which are reported to be good for the
life of this light weight little vehicle.

Good luck,
Chris