Left foot braking

Old June 25th 06, 08:13 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Left foot braking

I use left-foot braking in my 1964 Corvette (automatic) when
autocrossing. My times are much improved by eliminating the dead
coasting as the right foot moves between gas pedal and brake pedal, and
back. I am always giving the car gas or brake or both 100% of the
time.

Don't have the need to do this on the street, I don't drive THAT fast
in civilian traffic!

--
sub006
sub006's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=304097

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old July 13th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
vamc[_1_]

People here are not trained to drive stick correctly. they some times
will drop to lower gear to slow down, but usuall more experenced people
with sticks will use the engine as a break. I am From Massachuesetts and
i am used to snow and driving in it, People in Ohio see a little snow or
rain and they slam on there brakes and hit the e blinker. I hate ohio
drivers.

Andrew Willett(Ouellette) French spelling. :-)

--
vamc
vamc's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=321020

Old July 13th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
cody_e

I laugh at any southern drivers that ca't drive in snow. I'm from
Wisconsin so we get dumped with snow and it's not uncommmon to get 4-6
inches the night before and have the roads not very cleared. I'm to the
point (even only being 17) where I can drive normally (well slower) and
not slide or spin or go into the ditch.

--
cody_e
cody_e's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=431972

Old July 14th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
!

cody_e wrote:
> I laugh at any southern drivers that ca't drive in snow. I'm from
> Wisconsin so we get dumped with snow and it's not uncommmon to get 4-6
> inches the night before and have the roads not very cleared. I'm to the
> point (even only being 17) where I can drive normally (well slower) and
> not slide or spin or go into the ditch.

That's the thing though--it's common to drive in the snow up there,
because you get so much of it--and thus, more practice. In the south,
very rarely do we get anymore than a dusting of snow. It might
accumulate on the roads maybe once every few years.

It's all about acclimation. It's no different than someone from the
country having trouble navigating in dense urban traffic, or someone
from the city trying to drive with any speed down a dirt road.

Moreover, due to the type of climate we have, we also tend to get
freezing rain mixed in with the snow--so it's not just snow that we're
driving on, but a glaze of ice as well--which is hazardous to anybody.

Old July 19th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Julzboi661

[ experience from racing hi-power gokarts with 3 gears and a clutch on
golf courses]

Left foot braking is used at high speeds when you need to change the
nose position of the car in the turn without losing too much speed and
momentum through the pre-apex part of the turn. For s- bends usually,
in a car and in the kart i raced, i would hit the brake with left foot
while in the top part of the first bend of the s, coast through second
part, and stomp the gas when exiting.

The neighborhood i live in has one good s-bend, and i take my 2001 ford
ranger down there and practice. Left footies are only good for speed,
though.

--
Julzboi661
Julzboi661's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=465315

Old July 19th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Motorhead Lawyer

vamc wrote:
> I am From Massachuesetts and
> i am used to snow and driving in it, People in Ohio see a little snow or
> rain and they slam on there brakes and hit the e blinker. I hate ohio
> drivers.

You don't know Ohio drivers (of which I am one - at least originally).
Northeast Ohio sees a whole helluva lot more snow than anywhere in
Massachusetts. Ever heard of 'lake effect'? Ever heard of a 'snow
belt'? That's where I lived - and drove - for more years than you've
been alive.

If you think you're so hot, maybe you'd care to match lap times at Lime
Rock - or Mid Ohio - or Road America - or *on ice* - with me.

> Andrew Willett(Ouellette) French spelling. :-)

Well, being proud you're of French descent explains a lot ...
--
C.R. Krieger
(Not French - not a bit)

Old July 20th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On 19 Jul 2006 10:50:52 -0700, "Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote:

>vamc wrote:
>> I am From Massachuesetts and
>> i am used to snow and driving in it, People in Ohio see a little snow or
>> rain and they slam on there brakes and hit the e blinker. I hate ohio
>> drivers.

>You don't know Ohio drivers (of which I am one - at least originally).
>Northeast Ohio sees a whole helluva lot more snow than anywhere in
>Massachusetts. Ever heard of 'lake effect'? Ever heard of a 'snow
>belt'? That's where I lived - and drove - for more years than you've
>been alive.
>
>If you think you're so hot, maybe you'd care to match lap times at Lime
>Rock - or Mid Ohio - or Road America - or *on ice* - with me.

Get 'em out on the Ohio Winter Rally in NE Ohio next Jan-Feb - 200+ miles of
ice and snow thru the woods.

DPH

Old July 20th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Motorhead Lawyer

Dave Head wrote:
> On 19 Jul 2006 10:50:52 -0700, "Motorhead Lawyer" > wrote:
>
> >You don't know Ohio drivers (of which I am one - at least originally).
> >Northeast Ohio sees a whole helluva lot more snow than anywhere in
> >Massachusetts. Ever heard of 'lake effect'? Ever heard of a 'snow
> >belt'? That's where I lived - and drove - for more years than you've
> >been alive.

> Get 'em out on the Ohio Winter Rally in NE Ohio next Jan-Feb - 200+ miles of
> ice and snow thru the woods.

ROTFL! Been there and done that! Three times, I think. No; *four*!
An all-nighter from 8:00 PM to ~6:00 AM through all that snow I
mentioned above. Hard to believe it's 'only' 200 miles when you're
gettin' a little flaky around 3:30.

In fact, the first time I ran it, with my wife in our '84 4K Quattro
('88 or '89?), we were in the top 3 in our novice class. We might have
won; I no longer remember.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Slip-slidin' away ...)

Old September 13th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
lamehonda[_1_]

Left foot braking encourages you to ride the brakes. That is what the
gentlemen in front of you was doing when you followed him a whole 3
miles with his brake lights on and no change in speed.

--
lamehonda
lamehonda's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=193189

Old September 13th 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
bobss396

lamehonda Wrote:
> Left foot braking encourages you to ride the brakes. That is what the
> gentlemen in front of you was doing when you followed him a whole 3
> miles with his brake lights on and no change in speed.

That can happen if you leave your foot up there. Which I only do in a
stock car. Otherwise on the street my left foot is on the floor. not
hovering over the brake pedal. Some people are not conscious of what
they're doing to the people following them. I see it too.

Bob

--
bobss396
bobss396's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=213251