what do you think?

Old January 12th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob[_18_]

Default what do you think?

Hi.

I have a '96 Saturn SL1 sedan.
For the winter here in New Hampshire,
I have studded snow tires on the front P195 70 R 14 on the front and
regular P175 65 R 14 on the back.

I drive on rural roads up to 55 MPH.

Is this set up safe for my kind of driving?

All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Old January 13th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NapalmHeart

"Bob" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi.
>
> I have a '96 Saturn SL1 sedan.
> For the winter here in New Hampshire,
> I have studded snow tires on the front P195 70 R 14 on the front and
> regular P175 65 R 14 on the back.
>
> I drive on rural roads up to 55 MPH.
>
> Is this set up safe for my kind of driving?
>
> All opinions are appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Bob

I would put tires that are the same on all 4 wheels. Have you driven it set
up as you describe? How does it handle?

Ken

Old January 13th 07, 12:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jon Jon

You should be fine Bob - I lived in Manchester for 3 years -'98 Saturn
all-weather tires, no studs - had a BIG Noreaster one day - other people
fighting it / not making it out of apartment parking lot (15-20 inches)
hadn't been plowed yet .. my Saturn just churned right out of it and
onto main road 1/4 mile or so away. I might buy a Lamborghini someday
to park in the garage, but if I do I will keep my Saturn :-)

Old January 13th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Tom The Great

On 12 Jan 2007 06:32:05 -0800, "Bob" > wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I have a '96 Saturn SL1 sedan.
>For the winter here in New Hampshire,
>I have studded snow tires on the front P195 70 R 14 on the front and
>regular P175 65 R 14 on the back.
>
> I drive on rural roads up to 55 MPH.
>
>Is this set up safe for my kind of driving?
>
>All opinions are appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Bob

I think the common consensus that if you use studded tires, you need
to use studded tires on all your wheels.

Just recalling what I was told.

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old January 13th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, Tom The Great > wrote:

>I think the common consensus that if you use studded tires, you need
>to use studded tires on all your wheels.

That certainly was the rule thirty years ago, when almost everything was
rear-drive -- but I have to think it's a lot less important to have studs on
all four tires on a front-drive car.

--
Regards,

Old January 13th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Lane

You absolutely DO NOT WANT to have different traction/grip at different ends
of the car. This is dangerous. Whether all studded or not, get all 4 of
the same tires as soon as possible.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

. ..

Old January 13th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Bob Shuman

Actually from what I recall reading years ago, if you were to use only two
studded tires, they were supposed to go on the rear and not the front, even
for front wheel drive vehicles. I believe this was to prevent the rear end
fishtailing through turns.

Bob

Old January 14th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jon Jon

I misread your post - missed the point about the 2 different sized
tires. I agree all 4 tires should be te same size.