"Hummer H3 sales continue unabated"

Old September 2nd 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Mike

Default "Hummer H3 sales continue unabated"

Hummer H3 sales continue unabated
Customers are embracing the midsize H3, a vehicle that achieves
reasonable economy while maintaining the signature Hummer style and
capability.
at http://www.washtimes.com/autoweekend...4534-9274r.htm

Old September 2nd 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
SnoMan

On 1 Sep 2006 17:19:10 -0700, "Mike" > wrote:

>Hummer H3 sales continue unabated
>Customers are embracing the midsize H3, a vehicle that achieves
>reasonable economy while maintaining the signature Hummer style and
>capability.
>at http://www.washtimes.com/autoweekend...4534-9274r.htm

Only for the moment, next time gas takes a big jump and cracks 4 bucks
a gallon they will be boat anchors too.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old September 2nd 06, 07:35 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Dafey

I don't know...like it says.
a vehicle that achieves reasonable economy while maintaining the signature Hummer style and capability. People want there Hummer...
And its a pretty good offroader in stock trim.

When Religion ruled the world , they called it the dark ages...

Don Farr
Roswell NM 88203
D-farr AT cableone DOT net

Old September 2nd 06, 11:34 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
SnoMan

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 00:35:05 -0600, "Dafey" >
wrote:

>I don't know...like it says.
>a vehicle that achieves reasonable economy while maintaining the signature Hummer style and capability. People want there Hummer...
>And its a pretty good offroader in stock trim.

Not really, Detriot has convinced them that they need one for the
moment, the lust for them will pass. There was a times when vans where
the craze and that passed too.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old September 2nd 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
[email protected]

Dafey wrote:
> I don't know...like it says.
> a vehicle that achieves reasonable economy while maintaining the signature Hummer style and capability. People want there Hummer...
> And its a pretty good offroader in stock trim.

Since when is getting groceries and running kids to soccer considered
off-roading? People want their Hummer to feed their ego, nothing more.
They're a vehicle for posuers.

Old September 3rd 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Dafey

There actually great offroaders,just the wrong people buy them.

Old September 3rd 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
SnoMan

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 02:16:35 -0600, "Dafey" >
wrote:

>There actually great offroaders,just the wrong people buy them.

The stopped making the really great offroads long long ago. Todays are
wanabes at best. I have been driveing 4x4 for over 35 years and been
around them even longer and todays 4x4s are no where near as tuff as
the old ones nor as relaible either. Todays 4x4 resemble cars with 4x4
a lot more than true 4x4's and even the old Subarus 4x4's made over 25
years ago would take more abuse than a H3 would and live longer while
doing it to.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old September 3rd 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Lon

SnoMan proclaimed:
> On Sun, 3 Sep 2006 02:16:35 -0600, "Dafey" >
> wrote:
>

>>There actually great offroaders,just the wrong people buy them.

> The stopped making the really great offroads long long ago. Todays are
> wanabes at best. I have been driveing 4x4 for over 35 years and been
> around them even longer and todays 4x4s are no where near as tuff as
> the old ones nor as relaible either. Todays 4x4 resemble cars with 4x4
> a lot more than true 4x4's and even the old Subarus 4x4's made over 25
> years ago would take more abuse than a H3 would and live longer while
> doing it to.

I've been driving 4x4's, 6x6's, for over 50 years. Sometimes had to use
a cat or tractor to pull the 4x4 out of terrain where it was a bit out
of its element and driven by someone with less capability than the
vehicle. Distinctly noticed that those who complained about the "soft"
offroaders as early as the 60's were the ones most likely to use them
when it was hotter or colder than heck. Maybe no more power wagons or
IH scouts around, but given a choice between a Wrangler Rubicon or LR3
over 99% of those rose colored glasses viewed old timers, I'll take the
modern ones. Possibly the one advantage they had is that the skills
necessary to paste an engine back together to avoid a looooooong walk
were weren't as high as they are in the days of modern fuel injection.
Ahh, the good old days of building a freaking fire under your oil pan so
you could get "reliable" old betsy to cough a few times before the
frozen battery gave you the rest of the good news.
Old September 4th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Bruce Burden

Lon > wrote:
:
: Ahh, the good old days of building a freaking fire under your oil pan so
: you could get "reliable" old betsy to cough a few times before the
: frozen battery gave you the rest of the good news.
:
And the 90/120 in the tranny/transfer case, or the
150w gear oil in the diffs.

You also neglected to mention the wonderful frozen
bias ply tires.

Yep, the good ol days. When single piston master cylinders
meant that blown real wheel brake cylinder took all of your
brakes.

Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
- Thuganlitha
The Power and the Prophet
Robert Don Hughes

Old September 4th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
SnoMan

On 4 Sep 2006 01:55:04 GMT, (Bruce Burden) wrote:

>Lon > wrote:
>:
>: Ahh, the good old days of building a freaking fire under your oil pan so
>: you could get "reliable" old betsy to cough a few times before the
>: frozen battery gave you the rest of the good news.
>:
> And the 90/120 in the tranny/transfer case, or the
> 150w gear oil in the diffs.
>
> You also neglected to mention the wonderful frozen
> bias ply tires.
>
> Yep, the good ol days. When single piston master cylinders
> meant that blown real wheel brake cylinder took all of your
> brakes.
>
> Bruce

They started dual brake systems around 1970 and foreign cars had it
sooner. As fars as bias ply tires, I still use them today in a 10 ply
studded form on my plow trucks. Never found a radial that will grip as
well in snow service nor take the beating those tires can. A few
winters ago I found these to guys out on a county road when I was
headed to a snow job that were contract plowers that were also headed
to another site. One truck was a new CTD with a plow and ballast and
the other was a GM Dmax with a plow and a bed mounted spreader. The GM
had gone into the ditch badly and the CTD could bearly move hime let
alone get him out. I told them that I could get them out for 75 bucks
real quick and they looked at me like I was crazy but said sure you
can try. On the first atempt I drug him backwards about 30 feet before
it became obvious that it would not climb out of ditch that way. Next
I hitched on to front of truck in ditch on a short pull at a angle to
try to get heavy front end back up on raod as it was acting like a
anchor with spreader in rear too. I snugged up the tow line and after
about 10 seconds of an little spining and getting a bite it poped it
right on to road. Needless to say they were shocked because my lowely
gas power 1 ton SRW with bias ply tires had save their cookies. I
still like the old truck because there is nothing to go wrong with
them, no shift on the fly or electric 4x4 control to go bad when you
need it the most. You can have the new one as I have likely bought my
last new one as they are more car than anything today. BTW I have
dealt with some really cold weather, wel below 40 below but never had
much trouble because I was ptrpated for it with light lubes and in
extreme cold I would thin them more (engine oil, tranny, Tcase and
power steering) with a bit of kerosene as it did wonders the kero
would evaporate out on them when it got hot but it helpded a lot
trying to get a automatic to work well at minus 40. One winter I
forgot to plug in my olf jeep truck that i used for plowing and though
I did not really need it that day I want to see if it would start at
38 below and it did first try after a few seconds of cranking because
it had light lubes in it. New truck have more creature comforts but
there is a LOT more to go wrong with them.
TheSnoMan.com