Can anyone tell the difference between rotors and pads (truthfully)?

Old March 4th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Can anyone tell the difference between rotors and pads (truthfully)?

"Stuart A. Bronstein" wrote:

> > This is nonsense. Excessive braking can result in warped rotors, but
> > braking on turns has nothing to do with it.

> According to this article (probably the best on the Internet)
> http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf100326.htm
>
> "Many technicians are under the impression that a "warped" rotor is one
> that has too much runout. They also attribute this "warping" to why the
> brake pedal pulsates. This is not true. Runout will NOT cause pedal
> pulsation in most cases."

This is sort of true but misleading. If the 2 sides of the disc stay
parallel, there won't be any pulsation even if there is warpage. This
may often be the case when the runout is small. Most rotors have
ventilation slots between the disc surfaces this makes it unlikely that
the surfaces stay nice and parallel when the warp is large.
If you have pulsation when braking on dry pavement then it is coming
from the disks not running true. This can develop in numerous ways. For
instance due to impurities in the metal or other reasons part of the
disk surface can become much harder than the rest. As a result the disk
will wear unevenly. Now you might choose to not call this "warping", but
the result is the same the disc surface doesn't run true and causes
pulsation in the brake pedal.

> So, I'm back to being confused about whether or not brake rotor
> pulsation is really caused by "warped" rotors or not. It seems not.

Excluding pulsation due to ABS and malfunctioning ABS the only thing
that can cause pulsation in the brake pedal is a disk or drum that is
not running true. Stuck calipers can greatly magnify a small amount of
runout in a disk. So the problem may be more than the runout. But if the
discs/drums are running perfectly true you won't have any pulsation in
the pedal.

And incidentally, brake shudder and pulsation in the brake pedal are
not the same thing. If everything besides the rotors are generally in
good condition you can have a pulsation in the brake pedal alone. That
is, a passenger wouldn't notice anything at all. If you get a shudder
when you hit the brakes it may also be felt in the brake pedal or it
might not. A shudder or vibration might not even be a brake problem or
only partly a brake problem. Bad suspension components, out of balance
tires or out of round tires could all cause a vibration that is
triggered by applying the brakes. It is possible to have a condition
where the whole car shakes violently when the brakes are applied without
any pulsation in the brake pedal.

-jim

-jim

-jim