Muffler patch to withstand backfiring? Or pressure relief valve?

Old February 28th 05, 07:50 PM
Mike Romain

Oh, also, firing out the back of the valve has always been my
understanding of
it. Don't much matter if it is an intake valve causing a back fire pop
out the carb or TB or the exhaust valve causing a back fire pop out the
exhaust pipe.....

This is opposed to firing on the face of the valve like it should in a
cylinder.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 28th 05, 10:38 PM
Al

Or should I say "muffler explosion"? We've been informed that is the
politically correct term.
ink.net...

Old February 28th 05, 10:48 PM
TCS

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:08:30 GMT, Henry > wrote:
>My oval muffler has a 1 inch crack on outside probably due to occasional
>backfiring on deceleration. I would like to patch it but I am guessing
>that the very best patch I can make will not long withstand the
>backfiring. So I was thinking to maybe put something on there that
>would block the crack except when pressure is real high (during a
>backfire). Like a pressure relief valve. Any ideas?

>Henry

I've never seen any muffler patch kit that could withstand even a
normally operating engine. A roll of duct tape would be just as
effective for all the good it would do.
Old March 1st 05, 02:28 PM

If it were my car, I would fix the backfiring problem, then replace the
exhaust system..

Old March 2nd 05, 08:20 AM
ph_leung

TCS > wrote in message >...
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:08:30 GMT, Henry > wrote:
> >My oval muffler has a 1 inch crack on outside probably due to occasional
> >backfiring on deceleration. I would like to patch it but I am guessing
> >that the very best patch I can make will not long withstand the
> >backfiring. So I was thinking to maybe put something on there that
> >would block the crack except when pressure is real high (during a
> >backfire). Like a pressure relief valve. Any ideas?

> >Henry

> I've never seen any muffler patch kit that could withstand even a
> normally operating engine. A roll of duct tape would be just as
> effective for all the good it would do.

This what I have done with mufflers that have not thinned out too much
from rust. Buy some toggle nut/bolts, large 2" "fender washers" or
drilled thin metal sheet, and high temperature silicone. Punch or
drill holes in areas you feel have enough strength (i.e. close to the
weakened or broken area). Apply silicone liberally around the area to
be sealed by the washers or metal sheet. Push the toggle nut though
and tighten the washer or sheet. Allow the silicone enough time to
fully cure.

I've done this with a couple of my older cars when I was sure there
was only a few holes. The areas covered were about 4" wide. The
emissions testing people looked at it and laughed but it passed. They
have held up for 3 years.