Drug-sniffing dogs can be used at traffic stops, high court rules

Old February 21st 05, 03:42 PM
Brent P

In article >, jaybird wrote:

>>> And this is considered "ethical" ???
>>> I don't think so....

>>> Of course,they did not have lights and/or siren on,either.
>>> (if it's unsafe for citizens to drive like this,then it is too for police
>>> unless they alert others with lights and/or siren)

>> They were just going about normal patrol... But they are not close to the
>> record. I posted it when it happened, it was something like 11 violations
>> in 3 miles.

> I find it hard for you to say with any degree of certainty that they were on
> "normal patrol" unless you have some link to what's going on inside that
> car.

jaybird's 'you wouldn't understand'. Yes he was on a normal weekend night
patrol. It was obvious the way he was trolling for someone to stop.

Old February 21st 05, 03:55 PM
jaybird

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, jaybird wrote:
>>
>> "Brent P" > wrote in message

>>> They were just going about normal patrol... But they are not close to
>>> the
>>> record. I posted it when it happened, it was something like 11
>>> violations
>>> in 3 miles.

>> I find it hard for you to say with any degree of certainty that they were
>> on
>> "normal patrol" unless you have some link to what's going on inside that
>> car.

> jaybird's 'you wouldn't understand'. Yes he was on a normal weekend night
> patrol. It was obvious the way he was trolling for someone to stop.

Heh. Well now we all know, thanks to Brent's telepathic abilities. Now we
find out that the cop was "trolling" too!

--
---
jaybird

Old February 21st 05, 03:56 PM
jaybird

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, jaybird wrote:
>>
>> "Brent P" > wrote in message

>>> Just tonight I was driving a road posted at 30mph that most people drive
>>> at 40mph. When I am stopped because someone ahead is turning left, a cop
>>> comes up behind me. I am able to change lanes and continue. He passes me
>>> tight, hes doing about 40-45. Then just as he turns off another cop
>>> passes me, this one is doing no less than 40. Yet, this is a known speed
>>> trap town and they will ticket people for that very thing.

>> So obviously they were in marked units if you knew they were cops.

> Yep. marked units. Not like it's difficult to tell the majority of
> unmarked ones either. Cops don't obey the underposted speed limits.
> simple as that.

They're not normal traffic. That's just as simple.

--
---
jaybird

Old February 21st 05, 06:28 PM
N8N

jaybird wrote:
> "Brent P" > wrote in message

Yanik

cause.

acts,instead of

people drive

left, a cop

passes me

cop

known speed

> >> So obviously they were in marked units if you knew they were cops.

> > Yep. marked units. Not like it's difficult to tell the majority of
> > unmarked ones either. Cops don't obey the underposted speed limits.
> > simple as that.

> They're not normal traffic. That's just as simple.

Yes, they are. Brent isn't from Texas.

nate

Old February 21st 05, 06:40 PM
N8N

jaybird wrote:
> [...]

have them.

> >> Well that's your personal opinion, and your fault. I know lots of

cops
> >> and show that figure to be much higher.

> > Why is that my fault? Because I am a generally law abiding citizen

and
> > therefore the only interactions with cops that I have are either

just
> > random conversations or else being hassled by a-holes?

> That could be possible.

Then you have to allow for the possibility that there are unethical
cops out there. Even if my percentages are way off, it's still greater
than zero which means that we need some kind of safeguards.

trained

going

> >> The drivers/occupants and the fourth amendment.

> > The drivers/occupants will be in jail and the Constitution has

already
> > been used as toilet paper by the Supreme Court more than once.

> The drivers/occupants won't be in jail if you're searching a car with

> nothing illegal in it.

Again, you're assuming that all cops are ethical. There's a lot of
stuff that you can do to someone and get away with it if you're a cop
and the other guy can't afford a good lawyer.

nate

Old February 22nd 05, 01:03 AM
Brent P

In article >, jaybird wrote:

> "Brent P" > wrote in message

>>> I find it hard for you to say with any degree of certainty that they were
>>> on
>>> "normal patrol" unless you have some link to what's going on inside that
>>> car.

>> jaybird's 'you wouldn't understand'. Yes he was on a normal weekend night
>> patrol. It was obvious the way he was trolling for someone to stop.

> Heh. Well now we all know, thanks to Brent's telepathic abilities. Now we
> find out that the cop was "trolling" too!

He went from one vehicle to the next 'sniffing ass'. What do you think
that was about?

Old February 22nd 05, 01:03 AM
Brent P

In article >, jaybird wrote:

> "Brent P" > wrote in message

>>> So obviously they were in marked units if you knew they were cops.

>> Yep. marked units. Not like it's difficult to tell the majority of
>> unmarked ones either. Cops don't obey the underposted speed limits.
>> simple as that.

> They're not normal traffic. That's just as simple.

Above the law. Better than everyone else. Special. Sorry, no.

Old February 22nd 05, 04:07 PM
jaybird

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, jaybird wrote:

>>> jaybird's 'you wouldn't understand'. Yes he was on a normal weekend
>>> night
>>> patrol. It was obvious the way he was trolling for someone to stop.

>> Heh. Well now we all know, thanks to Brent's telepathic abilities. Now
>> we
>> find out that the cop was "trolling" too!

> He went from one vehicle to the next 'sniffing ass'. What do you think
> that was about?

There are many different possibilities. There's not really a way to narrow
it down to one specific. Even if that was the case then him traveling above
the speed limit makes sense because you can't see violations on very many
cars if you're stuck next to the same one your whole trip.

--
---
jaybird

Old February 22nd 05, 04:07 PM
jaybird

"N8N" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> jaybird wrote:

> Yanik

> cause.

> acts,instead of

> people drive

> left, a cop

> passes me

> cop

> known speed

>> > Yep. marked units. Not like it's difficult to tell the majority of
>> > unmarked ones either. Cops don't obey the underposted speed limits.
>> > simple as that.

>> They're not normal traffic. That's just as simple.

> Yes, they are. Brent isn't from Texas.

Police cars are still marked pretty much the same all over.

--
---
jaybird

Old February 22nd 05, 04:11 PM
jaybird

>>> Yep. marked units. Not like it's difficult to tell the majority of
>>> unmarked ones either. Cops don't obey the underposted speed limits.
>>> simple as that.

>> They're not normal traffic. That's just as simple.

> Above the law. Better than everyone else. Special. Sorry, no.

Again, you're taking this personally against the cop as an individual.
Police vehicles are not normal traffic because of the nature of their job.
Yes, I know you're not talking about Texas, but here we're not ever
_required_ to use emergency lights and in fact there is a specific statute
that leaves the discretion of using those lights up to the operator of the
police vehicle. Police vehicles are exempt from certain laws, not above
them and it's only so that the job gets done, not to make cops above anyone
else.

--
---
jaybird