Drug-sniffing dogs can be used at traffic stops, high court rules

Old February 15th 05, 08:25 PM
Brent P

In article >, jaybird wrote:

> It's because of the two different viewpoints. You're working off of the
> assumption a cop would not be trustworthy.

As an agent of the state that is the assumption we must make.

> I, on the other hand, am viewing
> it from the angle that the majority of cops are honest and would want to
> keep their dogs as reliable as possible.

We don't allow the government to be trusted because most are honest. We
don't allow government to be trusted because of the dishonest.

> Yes, what you're claiming can
> happen to an extent but it is not the common practice and it does not lend
> anything to credibility, perhaps the most important attribute for a cop when
> he goes to court. As usual, I'm merely defending the good guys.

How common it is, is not relevant. The fact that such searches
effectively eliminate our rights is.

Old February 15th 05, 09:44 PM
jaybird

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article >, jaybird wrote:
>
>> It's because of the two different viewpoints. You're working off of the
>> assumption a cop would not be trustworthy.

> As an agent of the state that is the assumption we must make.

Then that's why you don't understand most of my posts.

>> I, on the other hand, am viewing
>> it from the angle that the majority of cops are honest and would want to
>> keep their dogs as reliable as possible.

> We don't allow the government to be trusted because most are honest. We
> don't allow government to be trusted because of the dishonest.
>
>> Yes, what you're claiming can
>> happen to an extent but it is not the common practice and it does not
>> lend
>> anything to credibility, perhaps the most important attribute for a cop
>> when
>> he goes to court. As usual, I'm merely defending the good guys.

> How common it is, is not relevant. The fact that such searches
> effectively eliminate our rights is.

The fourth amendment prohibits "unreasonable" searches, not all searches.
If a cop has probable cause, then it's reasonable for him/her to search.

--
---
jaybird

Old February 15th 05, 09:56 PM

jaybird wrote:
> "Brent P" > wrote in message
> > In article >, jaybird wrote:
> >
> >> It's because of the two different viewpoints. You're working off

of the
> >> assumption a cop would not be trustworthy.

> > As an agent of the state that is the assumption we must make.

> Then that's why you don't understand most of my posts.

You have that backwards.

> > How common it is, is not relevant. The fact that such searches
> > effectively eliminate our rights is.

> The fourth amendment prohibits "unreasonable" searches, not all

searches.
> If a cop has probable cause, then it's reasonable for him/her to

search.

And if a cop needs to find probable cause, they might just call in a
dog. And after finding that they don't like the driver, or whatever,
cause the dog to alert, and thus search the vehicle.

While you seem to claim such a scenario is impossible, I would like it
to actually *be impossible*.

If it makes your job harder, that's tough.

E.P.

Old February 15th 05, 10:08 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
jaybird > wrote:

>"Brent P" > wrote in message
>>
>> How common it is, is not relevant. The fact that such searches
>> effectively eliminate our rights is.

>The fourth amendment prohibits "unreasonable" searches, not all searches.
>If a cop has probable cause, then it's reasonable for him/her to search.

And if a dog barking is probable cause, and if a cop can cause the dog
to bark at will, then the Fourth Amendment is vitiated.
Old February 15th 05, 10:13 PM
Nate Nagel

jaybird wrote:

> "Brent P" > wrote in message
>
>>In article >, jaybird wrote:
>>

>>>It's because of the two different viewpoints. You're working off of the
>>>assumption a cop would not be trustworthy.

>>As an agent of the state that is the assumption we must make.

> Then that's why you don't understand most of my posts.

No, that's why *you* don't understand everyone else's posts.

>>> I, on the other hand, am viewing
>>>it from the angle that the majority of cops are honest and would want to
>>>keep their dogs as reliable as possible.

>>We don't allow the government to be trusted because most are honest. We
>>don't allow government to be trusted because of the dishonest.
>>

>>> Yes, what you're claiming can
>>>happen to an extent but it is not the common practice and it does not
>>>lend
>>>anything to credibility, perhaps the most important attribute for a cop
>>>when
>>>he goes to court. As usual, I'm merely defending the good guys.

>>How common it is, is not relevant. The fact that such searches
>>effectively eliminate our rights is.

> The fourth amendment prohibits "unreasonable" searches, not all searches.
> If a cop has probable cause, then it's reasonable for him/her to search.

Ah, but if you want to search a vehicle, you walk the dog around it, it
alerts, boom, you have probable cause. If you don't find anything "oh,
must have been some residue in the trunk or something"

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old February 15th 05, 10:20 PM
jaybird

"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> jaybird > wrote:
>>
>>"Brent P" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> How common it is, is not relevant. The fact that such searches
>>> effectively eliminate our rights is.

>>The fourth amendment prohibits "unreasonable" searches, not all searches.
>>If a cop has probable cause, then it's reasonable for him/her to search.

> And if a dog barking is probable cause, and if a cop can cause the dog
> to bark at will, then the Fourth Amendment is vitiated.

I don't believe we've ever said anything about a dog barking.

--
---
jaybird

Old February 15th 05, 10:21 PM
jaybird

"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
> jaybird wrote:

>>>As an agent of the state that is the assumption we must make.

>> Then that's why you don't understand most of my posts.

> No, that's why *you* don't understand everyone else's posts.

>>>We don't allow the government to be trusted because most are honest. We
>>>don't allow government to be trusted because of the dishonest.

>>>How common it is, is not relevant. The fact that such searches
>>>effectively eliminate our rights is.

>> The fourth amendment prohibits "unreasonable" searches, not all searches.
>> If a cop has probable cause, then it's reasonable for him/her to search.
>>

> Ah, but if you want to search a vehicle, you walk the dog around it, it
> alerts, boom, you have probable cause. If you don't find anything "oh,
> must have been some residue in the trunk or something"

It's not quite that easy, but I don't think you guys will ever understand
that without actually being involved in it firsthand.

--
---
jaybird

Old February 15th 05, 10:28 PM
Nate Nagel

jaybird wrote:

> "Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
>
>>jaybird wrote:

>>>Then that's why you don't understand most of my posts.

>>No, that's why *you* don't understand everyone else's posts.

>>>The fourth amendment prohibits "unreasonable" searches, not all searches.
>>>If a cop has probable cause, then it's reasonable for him/her to search.
>>>

>>Ah, but if you want to search a vehicle, you walk the dog around it, it
>>alerts, boom, you have probable cause. If you don't find anything "oh,
>>must have been some residue in the trunk or something"

> It's not quite that easy, but I don't think you guys will ever understand
> that without actually being involved in it firsthand.

It really is that easy. Hell, *I* could train a dog to alert on
command. This ain't rocket science, people have been training dogs
since before recorded history.

nate

Old February 15th 05, 11:13 PM
Brent P

In article >, jaybird wrote:

> "Brent P" > wrote in message
>> In article >, jaybird wrote:
>>
>>> It's because of the two different viewpoints. You're working off of the
>>> assumption a cop would not be trustworthy.

>> As an agent of the state that is the assumption we must make.

> Then that's why you don't understand most of my posts.

Your boss is government. You do what you are told with 'just following
orders' blind mentality. I get your posts just fine.

>>> I, on the other hand, am viewing
>>> it from the angle that the majority of cops are honest and would want to
>>> keep their dogs as reliable as possible.

>> We don't allow the government to be trusted because most are honest. We
>> don't allow government to be trusted because of the dishonest.

>>> Yes, what you're claiming can
>>> happen to an extent but it is not the common practice and it does not
>>> lend
>>> anything to credibility, perhaps the most important attribute for a cop
>>> when
>>> he goes to court. As usual, I'm merely defending the good guys.

>> How common it is, is not relevant. The fact that such searches
>> effectively eliminate our rights is.

> The fourth amendment prohibits "unreasonable" searches, not all searches.
> If a cop has probable cause, then it's reasonable for him/her to search.

Note the word 'effectively'. When 'reasonable' is defined as 'because a
cop wants to' or 'because the government says so' or 'because we have a
dog trained to alert on command', we effectively no longer have that
right.

Old February 15th 05, 11:38 PM
Cashew

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 02:32:34 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>"Nate Nagel" > wrote in message
>> jaybird wrote:

>>> Again, that would be based on those three criteria. If it makes it to
>>> court where it's obviously apparent that the dog has found the narcotics,
>>> then there aren't any tricks that can just make that up out of nowhere.
>>>

>> What if the dog alerts and there are no narcotics to be found? Might
>> never make it to court if the suspect goes to jail for something else and
>> he doesn't have a good lawyer.

>Then that's different. Residual odor is a hard thing to put on paper. The
>dog may very well be smelling something illegal, or he may not. The best
>way to proof a dog on that is through training, certification, and the track
>record of reliability. If you have a dog who is false alerting all the
>time, that dog doesn't meet that criteria.

Who certifies the dogs?

Other cops?