'02 Explorer EB 4x4 problem starting

Old March 20th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,alt.autos.ford
brazzle

Default '02 Explorer EB 4x4 problem starting

Hey all,

This has sort of been covered before, but I can't find a definitive
solution. I bought an '02 Ford Explorer EB 4x4 used, but in what
appeared to be great condition. Well, the warranty is up and I'm
having a little issue I'm a bit concerned with.

Every now and then--maybe 1 in 4 starts--my Explorer has some trouble.
It sounds like it is turning strongly, but the RPMs go up and then it
seems to stall out. I may have to try one or two more times after that
to get it to start. I don't know a lot about cars, but could this mean
the spark plugs need to be replaced? I also read something about the
IAC valve being possibly dirty. Having little experience fixing
vehicles myself, would this sort of thing be costly to take in to get
fixed?

Thanks

Old March 20th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,alt.autos.ford
[email protected]

On 19 Mar 2007 21:28:37 -0700, "brazzle" > wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>This has sort of been covered before, but I can't find a definitive
>solution. I bought an '02 Ford Explorer EB 4x4 used, but in what
>appeared to be great condition. Well, the warranty is up and I'm
>having a little issue I'm a bit concerned with.
>
>Every now and then--maybe 1 in 4 starts--my Explorer has some trouble.
>It sounds like it is turning strongly, but the RPMs go up and then it
>seems to stall out. I may have to try one or two more times after that
>to get it to start. I don't know a lot about cars, but could this mean
>the spark plugs need to be replaced? I also read something about the
>IAC valve being possibly dirty. Having little experience fixing
>vehicles myself, would this sort of thing be costly to take in to get
>fixed?
>
>Thanks

codes pulled from the computer would be a great help to you finding
problems.

Old March 20th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,alt.autos.ford
brazzle

On Mar 20, 9:14 am, wrote:
> On 19 Mar 2007 21:28:37 -0700, "brazzle" > wrote:
>

> >Hey all,

> >This has sort of been covered before, but I can't find a definitive
> >solution. I bought an '02 Ford Explorer EB 4x4 used, but in what
> >appeared to be great condition. Well, the warranty is up and I'm
> >having a little issue I'm a bit concerned with.

> >Every now and then--maybe 1 in 4 starts--my Explorer has some trouble.
> >It sounds like it is turning strongly, but the RPMs go up and then it
> >seems to stall out. I may have to try one or two more times after that
> >to get it to start. I don't know a lot about cars, but could this mean
> >the spark plugs need to be replaced? I also read something about the
> >IAC valve being possibly dirty. Having little experience fixing
> >vehicles myself, would this sort of thing be costly to take in to get
> >fixed?

> >Thanks

> codes pulled from the computer would be a great help to you finding
> problems.

I'm sorry I don't understand what these are or how to get them, can
you elaborate?

Old March 21st 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,alt.autos.ford
[email protected]

On 20 Mar 2007 14:22:57 -0700, "brazzle" > wrote:
your vehicle has a computer that stores information : obdII ( obd2)
on-board diagnostic system II ( 2) .
The information can be read in the form of codes through a code reader.
Places like Auto Zone usually pull these codes for free in hopes you'll
buy parts from them. Or there are low cost readers available too.
My suggestion is go have the codes read for free and come back and
give the guys in here the codes. There are alot sites on the web that
tell you what the codes mean. Or you can google the code yourself
and find out what others have found with that code.

Old March 21st 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,alt.autos.ford
brazzle

On Mar 20, 6:53 pm, "Stephen N." > wrote:
> wrote:
> > On 19 Mar 2007 21:28:37 -0700, "brazzle" > wrote:

> >>Every now and then--maybe 1 in 4 starts--my Explorer has some trouble.
> >>It sounds like it is turning strongly, but the RPMs go up and then it
> >>seems to stall out. I may have to try one or two more times after that
> >>to get it to start. I don't know a lot about cars, but could this mean
> >>the spark plugs need to be replaced? I also read something about the
> >>IAC valve being possibly dirty. Having little experience fixing
> >>vehicles myself, would this sort of thing be costly to take in to get
> >>fixed?

> > codes pulled from the computer would be a great help to you finding
> > problems.

> The Check Engine Light should be on if any OBDII codes are present. The
> OP didn't mention whether the light was on. It might still worth
> getting checked for free at an auto parts place in case the CEL is
> malfunctioning. It's harder to track down a problem without the codes.
> Anyone seen a CEL light that wouldn't come on with codes present?
>
> Stephen N.--->see how spoiled we've become?

Okay, yes I understand what you are referring to, however--as
postulated previously--my vehicle does not report any issues...no
check engine light, diagnostics check out okay, etc

Any other ideas?