Brake Fluid for Cleaning Bolts?

Old May 15th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech

Default Brake Fluid for Cleaning Bolts?

Any reason not to soak old bolts in used brake fluid, wipe
them with a rag, apply, say, anti-seize, then re-install?

My concern would be the water absorbing properties of brake
fluid. But if others routinely do this, then I won't be
concerned.

TIA

Old May 15th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech

The biggest reason is WHY. Brake fluid is not particularly good for
this anyway. You could use a regular degreaser or kerosene. I'd just
spray them with Liquid Wrench or something similar. People have used
all sorts of things including vinegar, but I prefer regular old
petroleum distilates.

Old May 15th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech

"Al Bundy" > wrote
> The biggest reason is WHY.

Because (1) it's darn effective at removing, for example,
paint; and (2) presumably it has some lubricating
properties; (3) beats just throwing out old brake fluid.

Old May 15th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech

Elle wrote:
> Any reason not to soak old bolts in used brake fluid, wipe
> them with a rag, apply, say, anti-seize, then re-install?
>
> My concern would be the water absorbing properties of brake
> fluid. But if others routinely do this, then I won't be
> concerned.
>
> TIA

I'm not sure why you'd want to do this; brake fluid also eats paint
which is not a concern on bolts, but can be a concern if the parts the
bolts connect are painted. Also there are better parts cleaning
solutions available, kerosene works well and is cheap although it is
more easily flammable so more care should be taken.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old May 15th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech

"Elle" > wrote in message
k.net...

> Because (1) it's darn effective at removing, for example,
> paint; and (2) presumably it has some lubricating
> properties; (3) beats just throwing out old brake fluid.

Actually, it is not very good at removing paint...at least, not most paint.
It might
damage auto finishes, but without a little caustic added to it, it isn't a
powerful
paint remover.

It slicks up bolts, but - as mentioned earlier - picks up water and could
promote
rusting, I guess.

Old May 16th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech

Bad idea if you ask me. If you want to soak them in something, use old
motor oil. Personally, if the bolt is that far gone, I replace it. I
always use Anti-Seize on most of my bolts.

G-Man

k.net...

Old May 16th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech

Don't even bother. He wants to use brake fluid and that's what he will
use. He only wanted us to tell him how great it would be. He knows
everything and simply wants validation.

Old May 16th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech

Brake fluid acts as a great penetrating fluid in a pinch. I have had to
take some out and trickle into a rim's holes to get the rim to come free
from the hub. Driving on it with loose lug nuts and using the back end
of a log splitter maul didn't budge it but a soak in brake fluid let it
pop loose.

It seems to eat rust, never thought of using old fluid on my old rusty
nut and bolt collection that got caught in a rainstorm. I think I might
try it and see. I will post back about it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 16th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech

Er, "he" is a she...

JT

Old May 16th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech

I won't be using brake fluid if no one else uses it, because
of concerns about the water absorption. I really don't know.

Congratulations, anyway.

"Al Bundy" > wrote