Transmission service on 2000 Accord

Old December 20th 05, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Transmission service on 2000 Accord

2000 Accord, EX, V6, 49,000miles........

To service the automatic transmission (drain and refill fluid and
filter(?) ), is it best to drop the transmission pan, or just remove
drain plugs?

Is there a filter that should be changed that can be accessed by
dropping the pan?

Finally, is Honda brand AT fluid really necessary? If so where might
I get some at less than dealership MSRP prices?

Thanks for any input!!!

Bob

Old December 20th 05, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

bob wrote:

> 2000 Accord, EX, V6, 49,000miles........
>
> To service the automatic transmission (drain and refill fluid and
> filter(?) ), is it best to drop the transmission pan, or just remove
> drain plugs?
>
> Is there a filter that should be changed that can be accessed by
> dropping the pan?
>
> Finally, is Honda brand AT fluid really necessary? If so where might
> I get some at less than dealership MSRP prices?
>
> Thanks for any input!!!
>
> Bob

-----------------------------

You have to use honda Z1. Warm it up, use a 3/8' socket HANDLE to remove
the plug. drain it ten minutes, wipe off magnet and replace crush
washer. Drive it a week and repeat the process. the tranny should be
warmed up to guarantee that the crud is in solution. You'll use up to 4
litres each time, if you're thorough. There is no 'pan'. Filter cannot
be accessed, and don't 'power flush' a Honda.

Use other brands if you don't plan on keeping the car / hate the person
you're selling it to.

'Curly'
Old December 20th 05, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Just to expand a bit on what Curly sez about "power flushes". These
flushes use a solvent that supposedly cleans out your tranny - well how
do they get all of the flush fluid out of your tranny - answer they
don't. If you want to overhaul your honda tranny sooner rather than
later, have it power flushed and use some aftermarket ATF - hey the
synthetic stuff may even get you that rebuilt tranny sooner than the
cheap stuff.

Listen to Curly
..

Old December 20th 05, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Thanks for the reply Curly....

My experience with trannys has to date been mostly with full size
trucks......hence my question about the filter in the pan.

With external tranny coolers (trucks) I just opened the circulation
line and drained about 2 qts with engine running, then added two
qts.........repeating till fluid looked pink and nice. More of a
transfusion really. But with Dexron III the cost per qt is much much
less than Honda's proprietary ATF.

Bob

Bob

Old December 21st 05, 01:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

If one changes the ATF every year, does it really accumulate that much
"crud" ?
We do about 15K to 25K a year, mostly long distance, at moderate speeds.
ATF does not smell foul yet and still looks "not burned".
Also, each time I have removed the plug, there was surprising VERY little
"crud" on it.
Have a 97 Accord, with 187K miles.

Old December 21st 05, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

bob wrote:
> 2000 Accord, EX, V6, 49,000miles........
>

> To service the automatic transmission (drain and refill fluid and
> filter(?) ), is it best to drop the transmission pan, or just remove
> drain plugs?

i dont think there is a pan. if there is, thatd be the way to go.

> Is there a filter that should be changed that can be accessed by
> dropping the pan?

AFAIK, no.

> Finally, is Honda brand AT fluid really necessary? If so where might
> I get some at less than dealership MSRP prices?

yes! or at least specifically honda compatible.
Old December 21st 05, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Eye Indo wrote:
> If one changes the ATF every year, does it really accumulate that much
> "crud" ?

nope. in fact, youre probably in the 5% that actually does maintenance
like that.

> We do about 15K to 25K a year, mostly long distance, at moderate speeds.
> ATF does not smell foul yet and still looks "not burned".

not towing, doing "neutral drops" or peeling out is a plus, too.

> Also, each time I have removed the plug, there was surprising VERY little
> "crud" on it.
> Have a 97 Accord, with 187K miles.

some toyotas recommend NO tranny fluid replacement. ever.
Old December 21st 05, 04:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

This thread has been helpful for me - thanks all. A couple of questions.

1. I have a 2002 Honda Accord's 4 cyl with 47k miles. The owner's
manual says change fluid at 100k miles. I planned on changing it at
50k. I just checked the fluid and its a bit brownish. Why would this
be. More importantly, why would Honda recommend 100k change.

2. Does anyone know of any internet part stores where one might pay
less than the $7.50 per quart for the Honda ATF my dealership wants.

Thanks - Jack

Old December 21st 05, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

JackRazz wrote:

> 1. I have a 2002 Honda Accord's 4 cyl with 47k miles. The owner's
> manual says change fluid at 100k miles. I planned on changing it at
> 50k. I just checked the fluid and its a bit brownish. Why would this
> be. More importantly, why would Honda recommend 100k change.

Does your manual specify a time-based interval in addition to the mileage
interval? If so, I bet it's less than 4 years.
Old December 21st 05, 06:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

If you figure the cost of engine oil/filter (yellow indicator intervals)
ATF/air filter/brake fluid (yearly), the cost per mile is not that much. It
just easier for me to do things like this yearly rather than the recommended
time intervals. How would I remember a four year interval?