perf mods for LS1 reccomendations

Old January 4th 05, 11:27 PM
JustCallMe Norman

'What does an X pipe do? '

ME: It equalizes the pulsations from both heads. You get a scavenging
effect in the exhaust ports too. It will change the sound coming out of
your exhaust ... usually a deeper resonant sound especially at lower
rpms. On mine, it made the exhaust alot quieter especially at speeds
above 50 mph. It 'seems' the performance picked up a tad at lower
speeds -- at least i think so.

Old January 5th 05, 12:13 AM
Dad

"JustCallMe Norman" > wrote in message
> 'What does an X pipe do? '
>
> ME: It equalizes the pulsations from both heads. You get a scavenging
> effect in the exhaust ports too. It will change the sound coming out of
> your exhaust ... usually a deeper resonant sound especially at lower
> rpms. On mine, it made the exhaust alot quieter especially at speeds
> above 50 mph. It 'seems' the performance picked up a tad at lower
> speeds -- at least i think so.

Or we could just call you dave.

Dad
--
Life is a sexually transmitted condition that is always fatal.

Old January 5th 05, 12:13 AM
Dad

Old January 5th 05, 01:06 AM

What i'm getting at is :
I replace the mufflers & pipes including "x pipe"
THEN I decide to add a set of headers....I wanna buy the right "modular"
equipment that will match up later........Instead of having to drop $

1k on pipes & then throw em away & start over.........
"M" > wrote in message
> Hey,
>
> with a stock 2001 LS1 350 horse.
> I'm thinking more air in & better exhaust flow......
> I'm looking for relatively inexpensive upgrades for intake & exhaust
> Can anybody suggest brand names , (corsa , Borland?, K & N) places to

buy,

Old January 5th 05, 01:06 AM

Old January 5th 05, 01:08 AM

If the Fixed roof Coupe wasnt so damned ugly I'd just get a
Z06...............

What i'm trying to do is get Z06 performance from a coupe

Old January 5th 05, 01:08 AM

Old January 5th 05, 01:47 PM
sbright

One word for ya buddy: Blower

I have an ATI Procharger on my '99 convertible. Also has TPIS longtube
headers, no cats, and flowmaster exhaust.
I would imagine, that you'd get a ton of performance out of a blower even if
you did the headers and exhaust later.
I also have an '00 coupe with a twin intake and a catback exhaust. Twin
intake cost roughly $250, cat back about $1100 (at the time)
For $1350, I wouldn't call it money well spent. I realize that blowers cost
much more, but you do get what you pay for.
Also, once you get to 500 HP on a Vette, you need to start doing other
things to get the rubber to hook up. Which is why I'd skip the
exhaust stuff untill after the blower was in. See how the car handled with
100-150 extra HP, and then see what happens next.

Also, before I put the cat back on the '00 I had exhaust tips on it. They
did make a slight difference in the exhaust note at idle. I liked it at the
time.
If I had to do it all over, I'd put exhaust tips ($100 on ebay) and those
new electronic cut outs. Nice and quiet when your wife is in the car, but
loud as I dont know what when you slide them open. Seems a lot more
practical to me. Also wouldn't have to worry about resonance at 80mph.
People talk about resonance at 1800-2200 rpm but its pretty irrelevant when
you're doing city driving because even if you do get resonance at 35-40 mph,
you can always speed up, slow down, or up/down shift. It's when you're on
the way to Atlantic City and you resonante for 3 hours inside your car, that
you start thinking maybe I should have kept the stock exhaust. Hope my
experience helps. Good luck

-Stan
'99 Blown Vert Triple Black
'00 Torch Red Coupe

Oh, by the way-- I think the fixed roof coupe is an aquired taste... lol
You're going to wish you had one when your roof starts to leak or when
you're at high HIGH speeds with the top off and your back wheels start to
lift...but that's a different story.

Old January 5th 05, 01:47 PM
sbright

Old January 5th 05, 01:55 PM
JustCallMe Norman

'Or we could just call you dave.
Dad'

ME: Yes...that would be nice also. Its better than resorting to a filthy
mouth isnt it ?