"No Safety Problem" -- Toyota accused of 'not being frank'

Old January 31st 10, 10:43 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

Default "No Safety Problem" -- Toyota accused of 'not being frank'

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:05:53 -0800, john wrote:

> WASHINGTON -- When owners of Lexus sedans began reporting harrowing
> crashes involving stuck accelerator pedals in early 2007, Toyota told
> U.S. safety regulators there was no safety problem with its floor mats
> -- but it would send owners an orange warning sticker just to be sure.
>
> The flaw has since been linked to at least 12 deaths, and last week,
> Toyota expanded its recall over floor mats to 5.3 million vehicles. As
> with a separate recall of 2.3 million cars and trucks for sticky pedals
> that also could cause sudden acceleration, the automaker downplayed
> early warnings of both problems.
>
> Full article:
> http://www.freep.com/article/2010013...ank-on-problem

Vehicle Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:CABLES Estimated Vehicles
Affected: 10646
Model Affected
1994 BUICK CENTURY

1994 Buick Century Defect Summary:
DURING ASSEMBLY, WATER MAY HAVE ENTERED THE ACCELERATOR CONTROL CABLE
CONDUIT CAUSING IT TO DEVELOP A HIGH EFFORT AND/OR BINDING CONDITION IN
VERY COLD WEATHER.

Defect Consequence:
HIGH EFFORT OR BINDING CONDITIONS CAUSE LOSS OF NORMALTHROTTLE CONTROL OR
THE THROTTLE MAY NOT RETURN TO IDLE WHEN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL IS
RELEASED. IF THIS WERE TO OCCUR WHILE THE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION, A VEHICLE
CRASH COULD OCCUR.

Remedy:
THE DEALER WILL PURGE THE THROTTLE CABLE OF ANY INTERNALLY TRAPPED WATER,
IF IT IS PRESENT.

Estimated Vehicles Affected:
10646

Notes:
GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Old January 31st 10, 10:47 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:05:53 -0800, john wrote:

> WASHINGTON -- When owners of Lexus sedans began reporting harrowing
> crashes involving stuck accelerator pedals in early 2007, Toyota told
> U.S. safety regulators there was no safety problem with its floor mats
> -- but it would send owners an orange warning sticker just to be sure.
>
> The flaw has since been linked to at least 12 deaths, and last week,
> Toyota expanded its recall over floor mats to 5.3 million vehicles. As
> with a separate recall of 2.3 million cars and trucks for sticky pedals
> that also could cause sudden acceleration, the automaker downplayed
> early warnings of both problems.
>
> Full article:
> http://www.freep.com/article/2010013...ank-on-problem

Recall Reason SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT Recall Date
JAN 30, 1996
Model Affected CAPRICE
Potential Units Affected 102403

Recall Summary
DEFECTIVE LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINT ATTACHMENT NUTS WERE NOT PROPERLY
TORQUED AND CAN LOOSEN.

Consequence
THE LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINT CAN LOOSEN, FATIGUE, AND SEPARATE FROM
THE FRONT SUSPENSION KNUCKLE RESULTING IN A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSPECT BOTH FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINT ATTACHMENT
NUTS FOR PROPER TORQUE. IF THE BALL JOINT HAS LOOSENED, BOTH THE BALL
JOINT AND THE KNUCKLE WILL BE REPLACED.

Notes
GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Old January 31st 10, 10:48 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:05:53 -0800, john wrote:

> WASHINGTON -- When owners of Lexus sedans began reporting harrowing
> crashes involving stuck accelerator pedals in early 2007, Toyota told
> U.S. safety regulators there was no safety problem with its floor mats
> -- but it would send owners an orange warning sticker just to be sure.
>
> The flaw has since been linked to at least 12 deaths, and last week,
> Toyota expanded its recall over floor mats to 5.3 million vehicles. As
> with a separate recall of 2.3 million cars and trucks for sticky pedals
> that also could cause sudden acceleration, the automaker downplayed
> early warnings of both problems.
>
> Full article:
> http://www.freep.com/article/2010013...ank-on-problem

Recall Reason SUSPENSION:REAR
Recall Date JAN 31, 1996
Model Affected CAPRICE
Potential Units Affected 154214

Recall Summary
THE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARM CAN CRACK AT THE REAR STABILIZER BAR
ATTACHMENT.

Consequence
THIS CONDITION CAN BE AGGRAVATED BY THE SEVERE DUTY CYCLE OF THESE
VEHICLES AND EVENTUALLY CAUSE THE LOWER CONTROL ARM TO FRACTURE COMPLETELY
CAUSING A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL REPLACE BOTH REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS AND REAR STABILIZER BAR
ATTACHMENTS.

Notes
GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Old January 31st 10, 10:49 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:05:53 -0800, john wrote:

> WASHINGTON -- When owners of Lexus sedans began reporting harrowing
> crashes involving stuck accelerator pedals in early 2007, Toyota told
> U.S. safety regulators there was no safety problem with its floor mats
> -- but it would send owners an orange warning sticker just to be sure.
>
> The flaw has since been linked to at least 12 deaths, and last week,
> Toyota expanded its recall over floor mats to 5.3 million vehicles. As
> with a separate recall of 2.3 million cars and trucks for sticky pedals
> that also could cause sudden acceleration, the automaker downplayed
> early warnings of both problems.
>
> Full article:
> http://www.freep.com/article/2010013...ank-on-problem

Recall Reason VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:SPRINGS Recall Date APR 24, 1995
Model Affected CAPRICE
Potential Units Affected 87039

Recall Summary
THESE VEHICLES FAIL TO CONFORM TO FMVSS NO. 124, "ACCELERATOR CONTROL
SYSTEMS." AT LOW TEMPERATURES, EXCESSIVE FRICTION CAN OCCUR IN THE
ACCELERATOR PEDAL ASSEMBLY.

Consequence
CONSEQUENCE OF NON-COMPLIANCE: IN THE EVENT OF A FAILURE OF THE TROTTLE
RETURN SPRING, IF THERE IS EXCESSIVE FRICTION IN THE PEDAL ASSEMBLY, THE
ENGINE SPEED MAY NOT RETURN TO IDLE INCREASING THE POTENTIAL FOR A VEHICLE
CRASH.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL ASSEMBLY.

Notes
GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Old January 31st 10, 10:53 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:05:53 -0800, john wrote:

> WASHINGTON -- When owners of Lexus sedans began reporting harrowing
> crashes involving stuck accelerator pedals in early 2007, Toyota told
> U.S. safety regulators there was no safety problem with its floor mats
> -- but it would send owners an orange warning sticker just to be sure.
>
> The flaw has since been linked to at least 12 deaths, and last week,
> Toyota expanded its recall over floor mats to 5.3 million vehicles. As
> with a separate recall of 2.3 million cars and trucks for sticky pedals
> that also could cause sudden acceleration, the automaker downplayed
> early warnings of both problems.
>
> Full article:
> http://www.freep.com/article/2010013...ank-on-problem

Recall Reason STRUCTURE
Recall Date JAN 18, 2007
Model Affected COBALT
Potential Units Affected 98707

Recall Summary
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES NOT EQUIPPED WITH OPTIONAL ROOF-MOUNTED SIDE
IMPACT AIR BAGS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR
VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 201, 'OCCUPANT PROTECTION IN INTERIOR IMPACT.'

Consequence
IN A CRASH, HEAD IMPACT PROTECTION MAY BE INADEQUATE.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSTALL ENERGY ABSORBING PLASTIC TO THE HEADLINER TRIM TO
REDUCE THE SEVERITY OF HEAD IMPACTS IN A CRASH. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH
21, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438.

Notes
GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 06217
Old January 31st 10, 10:54 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:05:53 -0800, john wrote:

> WASHINGTON -- When owners of Lexus sedans began <SLAP!>

Get the point yet, Troll?

Toyota has had ONE recall, involving 2.3M vehicles.

Count up all the cars over all the years of GM recalls.
If you look long enough, you can find well over 2.3M vehicles recalled by
GM, spanning lots of models.

Stop trolling, asshole.

Old February 1st 10, 01:00 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 23:37:01 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:54:36 -0500, Hachiroku ???? > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 17:05:53 -0800, john wrote:
>>
>>> WASHINGTON -- When owners of Lexus sedans began <SLAP!>

>>Get the point yet, Troll?
>>
>>Toyota has had ONE recall, involving 2.3M vehicles.
>>
>>Count up all the cars over all the years of GM recalls. If you look long
>>enough, you can find well over 2.3M vehicles recalled by GM, spanning
>>lots of models.
>>
>>Stop trolling, asshole.
>>

> You post countless old GM recalls and call him a troll? Get thee to a
> mirror.

Effing Dimwit is pounding it into the ground.

Usually people that like to tuck it to Toyota are GM fans.
I guess making Toyota out to be the Bad Guy makes them feel better for
driving the pieces of crap they drive.

Of course, I wouldn't be saying this if 'john' would stop the effing
gloating.

I would own a Chrysler long before owning a GM, and a Ford next.

Oh, wait...I've had 4 Chrysler prducts.

> The average Joe Consumer doesn't care about you GM or Toyota fanatics
> primping your feathers here.
> I noticed that Fox news is really hammering Toyota, and saw one of their
> dimwit hosts recommending "buy American," and getting agreement. Made
> Toyota out as a corporate devil. Lots of lawsuits coming for Toyota.
> They were almost drooling. Fox is full of lawyers. Also heard something
> about Consumer Reports issuing a "Not Recommended." Don't know, since I
> don't care about Toyotas corporate reputation any more than GM's.
> I recall Sean Hannity more than once bragging on his big hybrid GM SUV.
> Toyota has bigger problems than John.

All I know is that all the Toyotas my family has ever owned (all 58,396 of
'em) (not quite...stolen from an old James Gang album) have been great
cars with great reliability.

One mistake and you get dip****s like 'john' drooling all over themselves.
what? He does that anyway?

Thought so...

Old February 1st 10, 02:03 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
fred

john > wrote in
:

> WASHINGTON -- When owners of Lexus sedans began reporting harrowing
> crashes involving stuck accelerator pedals in early 2007, Toyota told
> U.S. safety regulators there was no safety problem with its floor mats
> -- but it would send owners an orange warning sticker just to be sure.
>
> The flaw has since been linked to at least 12 deaths, and last week,
> Toyota expanded its recall over floor mats to 5.3 million vehicles. As
> with a separate recall of 2.3 million cars and trucks for sticky
> pedals that also could cause sudden acceleration, the automaker
> downplayed early warnings of both problems.
>
> Full article:
> http://www.freep.com/article/2010013...1331/business0
> 1/Toyota-accused-of-not-being-frank-on-problem

As I recall at least half of those deaths were the result of completely
clueless drivers that would have been sure to kill themselves in some
other stupid way, even without using a motor vehicle.

Old February 1st 10, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ransley

On Jan 31, 8:03*pm, fred > wrote:
> john > wrote :
>
> > WASHINGTON -- When owners of Lexus sedans began reporting harrowing
> > crashes involving stuck accelerator pedals in early 2007, Toyota told
> > U.S. safety regulators there was no safety problem with its floor mats
> > -- but it would send owners an orange warning sticker just to be sure.

> > The flaw has since been linked to at least 12 deaths, and last week,
> > Toyota expanded its recall over floor mats to 5.3 million vehicles. As
> > with a separate recall of 2.3 million cars and trucks for sticky
> > pedals that also could cause sudden acceleration, the automaker
> > downplayed early warnings of both problems.

> > Full article:
> >http://www.freep.com/article/2010013...1331/business0
> > 1/Toyota-accused-of-not-being-frank-on-problem

> As I recall at least half of those deaths were the result of completely
> clueless drivers that would have been sure to kill themselves in some
> other stupid way, even without using a motor vehicle.

You sound like a frustrated, depressed, stupid ass Toyota dealer