We will never run out of oil.

Old January 31st 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default We will never run out of oil.

http://www.rense.com/general89/fat.htm

Physically Impossible, running out of oil.And those plate tetonics are
always moving, spewing up more oil.
cuhulin

Old January 31st 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer

wrote:

http://www.rense.com/general89/fat.htm

> Physically Impossible, running out of oil.And those plate tetonics are
> always moving, spewing up more oil.
> cuhulin

The problem is a RATE thing. True, we will never get the last few drops
out of the ground. However, oil in the ground doesn't do us much good.

Same thing with plate tectonics. The plates move so slowly that the
rate at which any movement will make any previously unavailable oil now
available won't help us much. A few thousand extra barrels a year isn't
going to head off any crisis.
Old February 6th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
> http://www.rense.com/general89/fat.htm
>
> Physically Impossible, running out of oil.And those plate tetonics are
> always moving, spewing up more oil.
> cuhulin

You really have to watch the movements of those tetons.

Back in the 60's, we produced about 30% more oil than we used. We exported
the rest as refined products, etc.

Now we product about a third of what we use. We are in a position to be
held
hostage by foreign governments, terrorists, and even our own supplying oil
companies.

It is a recipe for disaster. I heard it referred to today in apocalyptic
terms.

It is not physically impossible, in practice, to run out of oil. Yes,
there are
huge deposits in some parts of the world but some of them contain oil in
near trace amounts.

We will have oil for the next 100-150 years, maybe, but it will get to be
more expensive and harder to come by.

This is no corporate smokescreen. The problems are real.

Old February 6th 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

"hls" > wrote in
:

> We will have oil for the next 100-150 years, maybe, but it will get to
> be more expensive and harder to come by.

They've been predicting we'd run out of oil since the 19th century.

I remember reading the "proven and probable" number was closer to 200
years. Remember that "proven and probable" is measured at that day's
prices. If you exclude price, proven and probable goes up to the thousands
of years. And that's assuming technology goes nowhere in that time, which
is a ludicrous idea.

Also, even if, in the /highly/ unlikely event that oil does actually start
to become /truly/ scarce instead of just being /politically/ scarce, the
resulting runup in prices will spur massive efforts in finding alternatives
to oil.

What would seriously damage efforts to replace oil and cause terrible
problems is if government employees got involved and started trying to pick
winners and losers. That would doom any technological advancement and cause
real problems for everyone.

> This is no corporate smokescreen. The problems are real.

Any oil shortages are purely and totally political. They consist of legal
injunctions on drilling and/or refining, or civil unrest, or political
control, all of which hamper production.

I'm not in the slightest worried about shortages, except for the political
component.

--
Tegger

Old February 6th 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Turn all of those politicians into oil and that would solve all oil
problems.
cuhulin