2000 Lumina 3.1L Head Gasget (step-by-step guide)

Old December 28th 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kruse

Default 2000 Lumina 3.1L Head Gasget (step-by-step guide)

On Dec 28, 3:30*pm, "ctops.legal" > wrote:
, need to know what to look for to
> determine if I want NAPA to do the heads.

I couldn't get the photos to load. Maybe something wrong on my side.
I'm a tightwad, but at 109K miles, I would put the heads back on
without reworking them.
I recently replaced the LIM gaskets on my '98 GM 3.1 w/175K miles
without reworking them
and the car runs strong and doesn't use oil. Replace all the intake/
head bolts. Replace your thermostat
(don't use a cheap replacement) while you have the intake off because
it's a pain in the arse to do it when the intake is back on.
A few other posters will crucify me for this, but before you start,
completely flush out the DexCool
and replace the coolant with Ford GO5 antifreeze when you are done
with your repair. It probably doesn't matter
with FelPro replacements, however.
Change your oil and filter before you start your car back up and
change it again about 1K miles later. (Assuming that
coolant leaked into the oil)
Took bad the GM 3.1/3.4 engineers and accountants weren't made to do a
few of these by themselves without any help.
Too bad the 3.1/3.4 has such a bad, but deserved reputation. Except
for the ease of repair, (or lack thereof) it's a decent engine.
Old December 29th 09, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:25:40 -0800 (PST), Kruse >
wrote:

>On Dec 28, 3:30Â*pm, "ctops.legal" > wrote:
>, need to know what to look for to
>> determine if I want NAPA to do the heads.

>I couldn't get the photos to load. Maybe something wrong on my side.
>I'm a tightwad, but at 109K miles, I would put the heads back on
>without reworking them.
>I recently replaced the LIM gaskets on my '98 GM 3.1 w/175K miles
>without reworking them
>and the car runs strong and doesn't use oil. Replace all the intake/
>head bolts. Replace your thermostat
>(don't use a cheap replacement) while you have the intake off because
>it's a pain in the arse to do it when the intake is back on.
>A few other posters will crucify me for this, but before you start,
>completely flush out the DexCool
>and replace the coolant with Ford GO5 antifreeze when you are done
>with your repair. It probably doesn't matter
>with FelPro replacements, however.
>Change your oil and filter before you start your car back up and
>change it again about 1K miles later. (Assuming that
>coolant leaked into the oil)
>Took bad the GM 3.1/3.4 engineers and accountants weren't made to do a
>few of these by themselves without any help.
>Too bad the 3.1/3.4 has such a bad, but deserved reputation. Except
>for the ease of repair, (or lack thereof) it's a decent engine.

Doesn't have a bad rep with me. Son's '93 3.1 Corsica went 180k miles
with no engine problems.
My '97 Lumina has 150k with no engine problems.
His car rusted out, and mine is starting. Probably wouldn't do a head
gasket, might do a LIM if it needed it.
Two more years and the rust will probably bother me enough to junk it.
Right engine mount is shot. You can see it, but it hasn't had an
effect as far as I can tell.
Neither car had Dexcool in them. I think I flushed it out of the
Lumina when I bought it 5 years ago.
The mount location ****es me off though. Have to pull the half shaft
to change it. Some other complication I don't like too.
Decided to let it slide because of the rust signaling impending doom
anyway.

--Vic
Old December 29th 09, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:08:22 -0800 (PST), "ctops.legal"
> wrote:

>Yes the car is worth it, the thermostat went out which was replaced as
>with the waterpump, cooling sys. was flused see: http://www.clean-rite.com/,
>I just would like a step-by-step custom guild that someone has
>remembered the 3.1L engine is very common, have got a FEL-PRO # HS
>9957 PT-1, the thermostat going out caused the intake gasket to go
>because it's plactic so I'm told. I have built several other engines
>in the past but as I have learned there is always some little trick
>that's helps the job and it only comes from experence.

Here's a link to a procedure for the left head.
Don't ask me why it's only the left head.
http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2003-b...-vt221692.html

If you look around enough you should find a step-by-step by some fan
who did the job. Google is your friend, but you sometimes have to
wade through a lot to get where you want.
Or get the shop manual.

--Vic

Old December 29th 09, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ctops.legal

On Dec 28, 9:27*pm, Vic Smith > wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:08:22 -0800 (PST), "ctops.legal"
>
> > wrote:
>
> >Yes the car is worth it, the thermostat went out which was replaced as
> >with the waterpump, cooling sys. was flused see:http://www.clean-rite.com/,
> >I just would like a step-by-step custom guild that someone has
> >remembered the 3.1L engine is very common, have got a FEL-PRO # HS
> >9957 PT-1, the thermostat going out caused the intake gasket to go
> >because it's plactic so I'm told. I have built several other engines
> >in the past but as I have learned there is always some little trick
> >that's helps the job and it only comes from experence.

> Here's a link to a procedure for the left head.
> Don't ask me why it's only the left head.http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2003-b...ng-head-gasket...
>
> If you look around enough you should find a step-by-step by some fan
> who did the job. *Google is your friend, but you sometimes have to
> wade through a lot to get where you want.
> Or get the shop manual.
>
> --Vic

Yea thank's Vic I seen that I am surprised that these is not a utube
vid. on a 3.1L it's so common, I used to know plenty of guys that were
into restoration and pimpin rides I know parts and service have gone
up as far as machine shop engine work, I remember a 350 we did for 600
bucks way back then, the carb was 2 hundred of it. Down here is the SE
good deals are everywhere usually a car/truck with grass grown up
around it in some yard will lead to a good ride.

Curt
Old December 29th 09, 08:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1

On 12/28/2009 4:27 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> Here's a link to a procedure for the left head.
> Don't ask me why it's only the left head.
> http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2003-b...-vt221692.html

The important part of your link is that someone mentions that the intake
manifold can leak coolant. My assumption is that the coolant circulates
through the manifold to heat it up, or cool it. One of those - i don't
really know which. All I know is that they seem prone to leaking. :-)

My father's Lumina had this problem. It was repaired once but now may
have it again. My Lumina might have had this problem, luckily, I gave it
to my son and he wrecked it - that turned out well. Other than that
serious problem, they're pretty good cars! :-)

Old December 30th 09, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ctops.legal

On Dec 29, 3:41*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 12/28/2009 4:27 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>
> > Here's a link to a procedure for the left head.
> > Don't ask me why it's only the left head.
> >http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2003-b...ng-head-gasket...

> The important part of your link is that someone mentions that the intake
> manifold can leak coolant. My assumption is that the coolant circulates
> through the manifold to heat it up, or cool it. One of those - i don't
> really know which. All I know is that they seem prone to leaking. :-)
>
> My father's Lumina had this problem. It was repaired once but now may
> have it again. My Lumina might have had this problem, luckily, I gave it
> to my son and he wrecked it - that turned out well. Other than that
> serious problem, they're pretty good cars! :-)
>

> > If you look around enough you should find a step-by-step by some fan
> > who did the job. *Google is your friend, but you sometimes have to
> > wade through a lot to get where you want.
> > Or get the shop manual.

> > --Vic- Hide quoted text -

Yea so far so good there are 2 bolts behing the engine (manifold heat
sheld cover bolts) started today soaking bolts a day with 3 in 1 oil,
it looks like I'm going to have to totally take both manofolds off,
that is the worst of it.

Curt
Old December 30th 09, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_2_]

On 12/30/2009 12:48 PM, ctops.legal wrote:
> On Dec 29, 3:41 pm, > wrote:
>> On 12/28/2009 4:27 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Here's a link to a procedure for the left head.
>>> Don't ask me why it's only the left head.
>>> http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2003-b...ng-head-gasket...

>> The important part of your link is that someone mentions that the intake
>> manifold can leak coolant. My assumption is that the coolant circulates
>> through the manifold to heat it up, or cool it. One of those - i don't
>> really know which. All I know is that they seem prone to leaking. :-)
>>
>> My father's Lumina had this problem. It was repaired once but now may
>> have it again. My Lumina might have had this problem, luckily, I gave it
>> to my son and he wrecked it - that turned out well. Other than that
>> serious problem, they're pretty good cars! :-)
>>

>>> If you look around enough you should find a step-by-step by some fan
>>> who did the job. Google is your friend, but you sometimes have to
>>> wade through a lot to get where you want.
>>> Or get the shop manual.

>>> --Vic- Hide quoted text -

> Yea so far so good there are 2 bolts behing the engine (manifold heat
> sheld cover bolts) started today soaking bolts a day with 3 in 1 oil,
> it looks like I'm going to have to totally take both manofolds off,
> that is the worst of it.
>

> Curt

Sorry to hear of your problem. Here's a link that may be helpful and has
a push rod removal tool that is supposed to make the job somewhat
easier. Good luck!

http://tinyurl.com/5um58w
Old December 31st 09, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

>> Yea so far so good there are 2 bolts behing the engine (manifold heat
>> sheld cover bolts) started today soaking bolts a day with 3 in 1 oil,
>> it looks like I'm going to have to totally take both manofolds off,
>> that is the worst of it.

Skip the machine oil and try PB Blaster, or Break-Free or another
penetrating oil designed for the job. Not very expensive and will save
a lot of grief.
--scott

Old January 1st 10, 12:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ctops.legal

On Dec 30 2009, 8:40*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> >> Yea so far so good there are 2 bolts behing the engine (manifold heat
> >> sheld cover bolts) started today soaking bolts a day with 3 in 1 oil,
> >> it looks like I'm going to have to totally take both manofolds off,
> >> that is the worst of it.

> Skip the machine oil and try PB Blaster, or Break-Free or another
> penetrating oil designed for the job. *Not very expensive and will save
> a lot of grief.
> --scott
>
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

I did use PB Blaster, the rain has shut me down, the "push rod removal
tool" if needed I can get from a friend that has a shop, this guy
tells me they remove and replace the back- Head with the manifold
"attached" I can see removal but replacement is,,, well let's see.

Curt
Old January 1st 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ctops.legal

On Jan 1, 7:33*am, "ctops.legal" > wrote:

> > Skip the machine oil and try PB Blaster, or Break-Free or another
> > penetrating oil designed for the job. *Not very expensive and will save
> > a lot of grief.
> > --scott

> > --
> > "C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> I did use PB Blaster, the rain has shut me down, the "push rod removal
> tool" if needed I can get from a friend that has a shop, this guy
> tells me they remove and replace the back- Head with the manifold
> "attached" I can see removal but replacement is,,, well let's see.
>
> Curt

Everthing is ready to pull apart, found this on the net;

http://hubpages.com/hub/Chevy-31-Lit...d-Warped-Heads

still have the 2 last back manifold sheald cover bolts (has to be done
from the bottom along with the 2 main manifold/exaust pipe nuts both
came off, good ole PB Blaster and a 1/2 in. drive impact with 120psi
pushing.

Curt