Key transmitter?

Old September 8th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Josh S

Default Key transmitter?

One of my 2004-300M key transmitters doesn't seem to be working.
The batteries are OK, but I can't get it to function on the car.
Is there a way to determine if it's transmitting, before I chuck it for
another.
Old September 8th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower[_2_]

"Josh S" > wrote in message
> One of my 2004-300M key transmitters doesn't seem to be working.
> The batteries are OK, but I can't get it to function on the car.
> Is there a way to determine if it's transmitting, before I chuck it for
> another.

The dealer has a tool that all it takes is a push of your key fob and it
will pick up the signal to see if it is putting out. more then likely your
key fob is bad. Check to see that the contacts in the remote has not
separated from the circuit board.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old September 8th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:
> "Josh S" > wrote in message
>> One of my 2004-300M key transmitters doesn't seem to be working.
>> The batteries are OK, but I can't get it to function on the car.
>> Is there a way to determine if it's transmitting, before I chuck it for
>> another.

> The dealer has a tool that all it takes is a push of your key fob and it
> will pick up the signal to see if it is putting out. more then likely your
> key fob is bad. Check to see that the contacts in the remote has not
> separated from the circuit board.
>

> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Also, since you apparently have one working fob, you can go thru the
programing routine using the good one, in case the non-working one just
lost its code. Might be dirty battery contacts too.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old November 27th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Josh S

In article >,
"maxpower" > wrote:

> "Josh S" > wrote in message
> > One of my 2004-300M key transmitters doesn't seem to be working.
> > The batteries are OK, but I can't get it to function on the car.
> > Is there a way to determine if it's transmitting, before I chuck it for
> > another.

> The dealer has a tool that all it takes is a push of your key fob and it
> will pick up the signal to see if it is putting out. more then likely your
> key fob is bad. Check to see that the contacts in the remote has not
> separated from the circuit board.
>

> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

THX Glen.

I thought they must have such a device, but my dealer said they don't.
They said all they could do is try to program it, a 30 minute minimum
charge. I already did that myself, so no deal.
This is a very good dealer. Perhaps I should try another dealer.
I'll also check the battery contacts again.
Old November 28th 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Josh S" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "maxpower" > wrote:
>
> > "Josh S" > wrote in message
> > > One of my 2004-300M key transmitters doesn't seem to be working.
> > > The batteries are OK, but I can't get it to function on the car.
> > > Is there a way to determine if it's transmitting, before I chuck it

for
> > > another.

> > The dealer has a tool that all it takes is a push of your key fob and it
> > will pick up the signal to see if it is putting out. more then likely

your
> > key fob is bad. Check to see that the contacts in the remote has not
> > separated from the circuit board.
> >

> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> THX Glen.
>
> I thought they must have such a device, but my dealer said they don't.

Take a working key fob, go to an AM radio, tune the radio to static
in between stations, put the keyfob next to the radio and press a button,
you should hear a blast of static from the working transmitter. If you do
not
hear the same blast of static from the non-working keyfob, the fob is dead.

Ebay has lots of fobs.

Ted

Old November 29th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
man of machines

were you at i have a homelink tester it also tests keyfobs and is used for
leakage from plug wires

Old November 30th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Josh S

Vancouver, BC.
Who is that homelink device manufacturer. Perhaps I should get one.
THX

Old November 30th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Pete E. Kruzer

Go to AutoZone. On their counter they have a display that tests key
fob transmitters.
Old November 30th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Pete E. Kruzer

On Nov 28, 1:14*am, "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote:
> "Josh S" > wrote in message

> > In article >,
> > *"maxpower" > wrote:

> for

> > > The dealer has a tool that all it takes is a push of your key fob and it
> > > will pick up the signal to see if it is putting out. more then likely

> your
> > > key fob is bad. Check to see that the contacts in the remote has not
> > > separated from the circuit board.

> > > Glenn Beasley
> > > Chrysler Tech

> > THX Glen.

> > I thought they must have such a device, but my dealer said they don't.

> Take a working key fob, go to an AM radio, tune the radio to static
> in between stations, put the keyfob next to the radio and press a button,
> you should hear a blast of static from the working transmitter. *If you do
> not
> hear the same blast of static from the non-working keyfob, the fob is dead.
>
> Ebay has lots of fobs.
>
> Ted

I tried this. Tuned the receiver to 990 AM. Lots of static. I placed
my PT fob next to it. Pressed it. Nothing. No change.
And my fob transmitter works.
Old November 30th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
> On Nov 28, 1:14 am, "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote:

>>> I thought they must have such a device, but my dealer said they don't.

>> Take a working key fob, go to an AM radio, tune the radio to static
>> in between stations, put the keyfob next to the radio and press a button,
>> you should hear a blast of static from the working transmitter. If you do
>> not
>> hear the same blast of static from the non-working keyfob, the fob is dead.
>>
>> Ebay has lots of fobs.
>>
>> Ted

> I tried this. Tuned the receiver to 990 AM. Lots of static. I placed
> my PT fob next to it. Pressed it. Nothing. No change.
> And my fob transmitter works.

You are obviously mistaken.

--
Bill Putney