1969 seats in a 1965 coupe?

Old June 23rd 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
notmenoway

Default 1969 seats in a 1965 coupe?

Hi all,

I need to replace my driver's seat as the frame is gone and have a line
on a pair of 69 buckets with headrests which would be preferable to the
low-back buckets the 65s came with. I seem to recall that they are
interchangeable, the seat platforms being the same for 1965 thru to
1970 - correct? Can someone confirm?

Thanks.
Old June 23rd 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:44:39 -0400, notmenoway >
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I need to replace my driver's seat as the frame is gone and have a line
>on a pair of 69 buckets with headrests which would be preferable to the
>low-back buckets the 65s came with. I seem to recall that they are
>interchangeable, the seat platforms being the same for 1965 thru to
>1970 - correct? Can someone confirm?
>
>Thanks.

Yes. And if you want to even go up into year 2000+, you can. You
might have to take the tracks off the originals in some cases and put
them on the replacement seats.
Old June 24th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
notmenoway

In article >, Spike
> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:44:39 -0400, notmenoway >
> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I need to replace my driver's seat as the frame is gone and have a line
> >on a pair of 69 buckets with headrests which would be preferable to the
> >low-back buckets the 65s came with. I seem to recall that they are
> >interchangeable, the seat platforms being the same for 1965 thru to
> >1970 - correct? Can someone confirm?
> >
> >Thanks.

> Yes. And if you want to even go up into year 2000+, you can. You
> might have to take the tracks off the originals in some cases and put
> them on the replacement seats.

Hi,

Are you sure about that? Haven't heard of anyone using much newer
Mustang seats in a '65.

I guess if you're putting old tracks on newer seats the studs on the
old tracks would like up. But what are you screwing/bolting the tracks
onto on the new seats?

Has anyone here actually done this - and seats from what later model
year?

Thanks.
Old June 24th 07, 09:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 21:46:59 -0400, notmenoway >
wrote:

>In article >, Spike
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:44:39 -0400, notmenoway >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi all,
>> >
>> >I need to replace my driver's seat as the frame is gone and have a line
>> >on a pair of 69 buckets with headrests which would be preferable to the
>> >low-back buckets the 65s came with. I seem to recall that they are
>> >interchangeable, the seat platforms being the same for 1965 thru to
>> >1970 - correct? Can someone confirm?
>> >
>> >Thanks.

>> Yes. And if you want to even go up into year 2000+, you can. You
>> might have to take the tracks off the originals in some cases and put
>> them on the replacement seats.

>Hi,
>
>Are you sure about that? Haven't heard of anyone using much newer
>Mustang seats in a '65.
>
>I guess if you're putting old tracks on newer seats the studs on the
>old tracks would like up. But what are you screwing/bolting the tracks
>onto on the new seats?
>
>Has anyone here actually done this - and seats from what later model
>year?
>
>Thanks.

Excellent article by Stephanie on her swap with photos....
http://www.stephanies-mustang.com/seats.htm

I've had contact with other owners who have used seats form a wide
range of years 1995 in a 66 Cpe, 2000, in a 65 FB. Plus the Recarro,
FloFit, ProCar etc lines of seats. A company in SoCal turns out some
excellent custom tailored seats for around $1500 pr. Advertised in
back of Mustang Monthly. The former president of the local Mustang
Club used a really nice pair out of a late model Toyota Celica in his
65 FB.

Lots of used seats show up on eBay.... search auto parts, Ford Mustang
Seats. Lots of Auto Dismantlers nationwide. You may have to
re-upholster. Upholstry kits available up through 2004 the last time I
checked via PJ Pony Parts catalog.

And for other How Tos, and Tech stuff, one of my favorite sources is
here http://links.vintage-mustang.com/
Just scroll down the left hand window and select a category, then
scroll down the right hand window when it loads. LOTS of good stuff.
Sources, Techie, How To, etc etc etc.

How's that for useable info? :0)
Old June 26th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
walt peifer

"Spike" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 21:46:59 -0400, notmenoway >
> wrote:
>
>>In article >, Spike
> wrote:

>>> Yes. And if you want to even go up into year 2000+, you can. You
>>> might have to take the tracks off the originals in some cases and put
>>> them on the replacement seats.

>>Hi,
>>
>>Are you sure about that? Haven't heard of anyone using much newer
>>Mustang seats in a '65.
>>
>>I guess if you're putting old tracks on newer seats the studs on the
>>old tracks would like up. But what are you screwing/bolting the tracks
>>onto on the new seats?
>>
>>Has anyone here actually done this - and seats from what later model
>>year?
>>
>>Thanks.

> Excellent article by Stephanie on her swap with photos....
> http://www.stephanies-mustang.com/seats.htm
>
> I've had contact with other owners who have used seats form a wide
> range of years 1995 in a 66 Cpe, 2000, in a 65 FB. Plus the Recarro,
> FloFit, ProCar etc lines of seats. A company in SoCal turns out some
> excellent custom tailored seats for around $1500 pr. Advertised in
> back of Mustang Monthly. The former president of the local Mustang
> Club used a really nice pair out of a late model Toyota Celica in his
> 65 FB.
>
> Lots of used seats show up on eBay.... search auto parts, Ford Mustang
> Seats. Lots of Auto Dismantlers nationwide. You may have to
> re-upholster. Upholstry kits available up through 2004 the last time I
> checked via PJ Pony Parts catalog.
>
> And for other How Tos, and Tech stuff, one of my favorite sources is
> here http://links.vintage-mustang.com/
> Just scroll down the left hand window and select a category, then
> scroll down the right hand window when it loads. LOTS of good stuff.
> Sources, Techie, How To, etc etc etc.
>
> How's that for useable info? :0)

as above he beat me to it. yes seats up through 04 actually fit. tracks need
to be changed is it. 65-68 used the same tracks, 69-70 tracks are the same
size except the spacers that lift the track out of the carpet fibers are
built in on 69-70 separate spacer on 64-68 . after 70 seat frames have same
bolt spacing but the tracks are slightly different some are angled some are
taller on one side or the other.