Torsion tool for spring plates

Old October 16th 04, 02:49 AM
Dane Tyler

Default Torsion tool for spring plates

I know this sounds silly, but what is the proper way to use this? I was
looking on the net, and saw some pics of one guy resting it on the
ground and and pushing the spring plates up with it
http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0312vwt_71super/ , and another how-to
page (http://www.bajas.8m.com/torsion.htm) showed the top of it resting
on the chassis or body somewhere, and then the screwing it up, pushing
the spring plate up. Just a curiosity, since I'm gonna change out my
spring plate bushings this weekend, and I have one of these tools. Or
would I be better off using a chain and floor jack??

Thanks for any assistance!

Dane
'69 Bug
'63 Bug

Old October 16th 04, 01:15 PM
Mark Detro

topside of the tool usually has a sort of cup that faces downward which fits
over the bodybolt (mounts to shock tower) found up in the fenderwell. You
just put the plate between the slots on the bottom part of the tool and start
screwing. Once your sitting in front of the rear assy with the tool in your
hand, it should become pretty apparent.
sometimes the large wingnut can be a pain, I keep a same sized nut and
wrench close depening on bigger bars or if I am raising the car for for
offroad.
Mark Detro
Englewood, FL
Old October 17th 04, 12:25 PM
John Cassara

When I replaced my torsion bars and what not I used the chain and jack
method with no trouble. Just be sure to set it up with no slack in the chain
or the car will rise as the jack is applied. If you have to, put a piece of
plywood under the jack to make up the distance if the jack floats. You want
the jack to be stable on the ground! Use a large chain those torsion bars
are tough! Be sure to check the car for level when done. Use a magnetic
angle guage to ensure the starting angles (preload) are the same and then
check the level with the weight of the vehicle after. You will need to allow
the car to roll a few feet to ensure the wheels are at a natural stance.

Good luck
John

Old October 17th 04, 01:08 PM
Kafertoys

>When I replaced my torsion bars and what not I used the chain and jack
>method with no trouble

I use one of the strut spring compressor tools with one bolt in the shock tower
and one on the spring plate. This makes the job real easy nothing that can
slip or get in the way, and no chance of the car raising.

Mario

why do people pay for these plates??? AZGuy Driving 8 January 20th 05 02:41 PM
Torsion Bars 94 Dakota Dodge 2 October 21st 04 10:51 PM
License Plates - Antiques, porcelains. many more PL8Seditor Antique cars 0 January 26th 04 12:54 AM