65 emergency brake

Old May 8th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Gene Wagenbreth

Default 65 emergency brake

With my 65 I have to pull very hard on the emergency brake handle
to get it to hold very well. If I am parked on a hill so it wants
to roll backwards, its worse. I have a 4-speed and leave it in
reverse. That usually holds it. With it in gear, if I don't pull
hard enough, it will groan and creek some and very slowly roll
back.

I replaced the handle mechanism under the dash, including the
pulley on the end.

Ideas ?

Thanks

Gene
Old May 8th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On Mon, 07 May 2007 17:15:21 -0700, Gene Wagenbreth <genewxxx@isi-OS4>
wrote:

>With my 65 I have to pull very hard on the emergency brake handle
>to get it to hold very well. If I am parked on a hill so it wants
>to roll backwards, its worse. I have a 4-speed and leave it in
>reverse. That usually holds it. With it in gear, if I don't pull
>hard enough, it will groan and creek some and very slowly roll
>back.
>
>I replaced the handle mechanism under the dash, including the
>pulley on the end.
>
>Ideas ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Gene

Underneath the car should be a "Y" where the single cable from the
handle, splits out to each rear wheel. There is an adjustment there.

I would suggest you get a good repair manual if you don't have one.
Old May 8th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
walt peifer

"Spike" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 07 May 2007 17:15:21 -0700, Gene Wagenbreth <genewxxx@isi-OS4>
> wrote:
>
>>With my 65 I have to pull very hard on the emergency brake handle
>>to get it to hold very well. If I am parked on a hill so it wants
>>to roll backwards, its worse. I have a 4-speed and leave it in
>>reverse. That usually holds it. With it in gear, if I don't pull
>>hard enough, it will groan and creek some and very slowly roll
>>back.
>>
>>I replaced the handle mechanism under the dash, including the
>>pulley on the end.
>>
>>Ideas ?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Gene

> Underneath the car should be a "Y" where the single cable from the
> handle, splits out to each rear wheel. There is an adjustment there.
>
> I would suggest you get a good repair manual if you don't have one.

cable stretch is the most likley problem. The 65 vintage use three cables
one from the handle to the arm that is affixed to the transmission
crossmember. from this level you should have a threaded adjuster that
terminates in a "saddle" that attaches to the two seperat cables that run to
each rear wheel.
Often the rear cables will stretch abit requiring adjustment. aslo rust and
other foreign substances can build up inside the cable sheaths. clean and
lubricate the cables. then readjust them.
if need teh cables are not that expensive.