166 Fuel Economy

Old August 20th 04, 01:27 PM
Jon

Default 166 Fuel Economy

Hi,

My 166 2.5 V6 (1999) averages around 19.5 mpg, if I take it really
gently on a motorway I can get his up to 23mpg. Is this normal
/usuall? I read on a recent posting of someone who was getting 28mpg
which is bit more respectable. If this is a problem, any ideas on the
solution as the local alfa dealer is hopeless.

Also any suggestions on tyres, I've just had to replace all four after
9 months / 9000 miles. Wear was pretty even across them all. Again is
this normal.

Thanks

Jon
jong at theoffice dot net
Old August 20th 04, 02:02 PM
Simon C

"Jon" wrote in message

> Also any suggestions on tyres, I've just had to replace all four after
> 9 months / 9000 miles. Wear was pretty even across them all. Again is
> this normal.

Hi Jon

I can't help on the consumption, but to me 9 months / 9000 miles seems
pretty much standard for Alfas if your not a driver that sits on a motorway
all day. Most of my driving is A roads, so I therefore use the car.

I have the 156 2.4JTD, which I bought in Oct 02. I am now on my third set of
tyres on the front, second on back and have done 21k miles.

On the front, the first factory set lasted about 9k and had worn to thread
on the inside. The second set (Avon's) lasted 10000 miles. This set (Eagle
NCTs)...well I can't say yet. They do however stick like hell and a very
very quiet.

That's all I can say really apart from the fact that both the V6 and JTD
engines are big blocks of metal that sit over the driving and steering
wheels.

Enjoy your driving.

Simon C
156 2.4JTD V1 (2002)
To reply: remove nospam. from the address

Old August 20th 04, 03:24 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

More of a response to the tyre point...

2.0 JTS 156 still with original factory fitted Firestone tyres all round at
19k miles. Rear tyres still have the little bobbly bits round the sides and
the front tyres are probably just past half worn. All 4 tyres still have the
paint bands visible through the tread. My last car was a Fiat Marea and it
was the same - original factory fit firestones lasted for ever, but the
replacement michellin energys and Pyrelli p4000s each managed just 10-12k.

I use a mix of A, B roads and motorway/dual carriageway. I don't hang
abount, but I also don't screach round every corner either.

Fuel consumption - that's not why I bought this car! Onboard computer
reports 36-37 MPG. At the last fill up, I measured it at over 30MPG, but
that was a tank of premium petrol, so was 'booting it' from time to time!

Old August 20th 04, 07:11 PM
DJ

I've got a 2003 2.5 V6 - its only done 5,000 miles and my overall average
is 25.5MPG - If I drive at a steady 70MPG I get just over 30MPG - mind you
mine does have a 6 speed manual gearbox which helps.

If I cane it around the country lanes I get about 19MPG.

I'll let you know about the tyres, the cars still on its first set !!

m...

Old August 20th 04, 07:27 PM
Carl Farrington

DJ wrote:
> I've got a 2003 2.5 V6 - its only done 5,000 miles and my overall
> average is 25.5MPG - If I drive at a steady 70MPG I get just over
> 30MPG - mind you mine does have a 6 speed manual gearbox which helps.
>
> If I cane it around the country lanes I get about 19MPG.
>
> I'll let you know about the tyres, the cars still on its first set !!
>

> "Jon" > wrote in message
> m...
>> Hi,
>>
>> My 166 2.5 V6 (1999) averages around 19.5 mpg, if I take it really
>> gently on a motorway I can get his up to 23mpg. Is this normal
>> /usuall? I read on a recent posting of someone who was getting 28mpg
>> which is bit more respectable. If this is a problem, any ideas on the
>> solution as the local alfa dealer is hopeless.
>>
>> Also any suggestions on tyres, I've just had to replace all four
>> after 9 months / 9000 miles. Wear was pretty even across them all.
>> Again is this normal.
>>
>> Thanks

This doesn't sound too great!! I was hoping a 3.0 V6 GTV Cup would be
noticably better than the 18-23 I get out of my TT Supra.

Old August 22nd 04, 11:38 AM
AlexUK

Jon

I think you should have the alignment checked on the car (all four
wheels £60 now is cheaper than new tyres every 9000 miles). I had a
166 3.0 and managed 22,000 miles on the first set of tyres (Goodyear
F1 17"). I was very impressed with this as I had a 164 Cloverleaf and
that eat four tyres in 10,000 miles. Though this could have been more
to do with lack of traction control (ASR or any other electronic
gizmo). Also the 164 was set up for front toe out (compensate torque
steer) and rear toe in. The 166 front should be set to zero toe
in/out, and the rear with toe in (high speed stability). Not to state
the obvious, but check the tyre pressures. If you are near Winchester
I would highly recommend Micheldever tyres.

As for fuel consumption, that is really low. I used to average 31 mpg
on a motorway at legal speeds, and around 28mpg at higher speeds. I
also averaged 25 mpg on a 2500 mile trip down to Italy with an average
of 80mph through Germany even though there we lots of roadworks, lots
of mountain passes and a fully loaded car.

Alex

Old August 22nd 04, 11:41 AM
AlexUK

Simon,

Your A roads must be rough, I now have a 2.4 JTD Veloce and the tyres
look good for 20,000 (swapped front to rear at 10,000 miles). They are
Continental Sport Contacts (I prefer Goodyear F1's though).

Oh, and an average of 42 mpg and cheap fuel in Europe.

Alex

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:02:10 +0100, "Simon C"

Old August 22nd 04, 09:46 PM
Zathras

On 20 Aug 2004 05:27:23 -0700, (Jon) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My 166 2.5 V6 (1999) averages around 19.5 mpg, if I take it really
>gently on a motorway I can get his up to 23mpg. Is this normal
>/usuall? I read on a recent posting of someone who was getting 28mpg
>which is bit more respectable. If this is a problem, any ideas on the
>solution as the local alfa dealer is hopeless.

This figure doesn't surprise me but I'm no expert on the 166.

>Also any suggestions on tyres, I've just had to replace all four after
>9 months / 9000 miles. Wear was pretty even across them all. Again is
>this normal.

Well..I'm heading for 30000 miles (currently 4mm left at 27000 miles)
on a set of Continental Sport Contact tyres. Some here don't like them
but I think they're fine. They don't appear (to me) to have any
terrible weaknesses but they do go on forever. If your wear pattern is
even, I doubt there's any great misalignment so I can only suggest
getting 'harder' rubber if this is a major concern. Don't be fobbed
off with other Continental tyres..at least 'Sport Contact' and it's at
least the revision II tyre now.

At a 3+ year average of 41mpg, I don't drive mine gently AND my tyres
were chewed by the factory Veloce 'misalignment' for their first 9500
miles (an issue that killed tyres before 12000 miles by prematurely
wearing off the inner edges). I would not be surprised if, driven
gently(!), CSCII tyres could be made last 40000 miles on my car. The
only reason I have ever changed tyres on my Alfa is due to punctures!

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)