PhotoRADAR lens any good?

Old January 25th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
billccm

Default PhotoRADAR lens any good?

I just read in out local newspaper that a 'pilot' PhotoRADAR and Red
Light camera program starts tomorrow in my area.

Does anyone has experience, or has heard about the effectiveness of
this item:
http://www.buyradardetectors.com/pro...protector.aspx

It looks as if it could work.

Please do not hijack this thread into a moral question about trying to
break the law. PhotoRADAR is for revenue generation only-not the
reduction of speeders.

In the Cincinnati area, they found that one PhotoRADAR unit generated
$700/hour
with the limit set to 6MPH over the 35MPH limit.

The Indiana State Police found that having a police car parked on the
side of the road,
without RADAR, or lights, reduced speeding 99% on I65. Their 'ghost
cop' program was a success, but did not generate revenue, and they
abandoned the program way back in 1982.

Several articles have shown statistics that Red Light cameras increase
rear end
collisions over the amount of any accidents made from red light
runners.

I also used to work in the vehicular speed detection industry, and know
the reasons
why police municipalities buy RADAR guns.

So, please spare me the lecture on why photoRADAR is a good thing.

The Arizona legislature voted today against making these license plate
lens illegal. Now
I have a good reason to buy one and try it!

Any comments, advice, or suggestions on these lenses is appreciated.

Bill

Old January 25th 07, 11:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Coasty[_1_]

Obey the damn law and you would not have to worry, where is common sense.

Coasty

ups.com...

Old January 25th 07, 11:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jdoe[_1_]

They work. I have seen tests on them. They are also illegal. So if you
SHOULD get stopped and the good officer notices the cover "you're busted".
As far as running red lights and signs I wish I could hunt those people down
and treat them like the stupid dogs they are. I watched one of those
a$$holes do this and hit my own daughter right in front of me! You don't
know how close the jerk came to being pulled through his car window and
being badly bloodied.
I see no harm in speeding under reasonable conditions but don't start me on
running stop devices!
ups.com...

Old January 25th 07, 11:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Often the cameras are a sweetheart deal between the municipality and the
company who sells or leases them and installs them for the municipality.
The contracted company runs the biling system and splits the take with
the municipality, and there are documented cases where the length of the
yellow light was set to the absloute minimum allowed by law, and in some
cases even shorter so that the revenue sharing was more profitable. And
think they call it conflict of interest. The increased body shop
business from rear-ending was an unavoidable and unintended consequence,
but - hey - that's the cost of corrupt local governments.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old January 25th 07, 11:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

jdoe wrote:

> They work. I have seen tests on them. They are also illegal. So if you
> SHOULD get stopped and the good officer notices the cover "you're busted".
> As far as running red lights and signs I wish I could hunt those people down
> and treat them like the stupid dogs they are. I watched one of those
> a$$holes do this and hit my own daughter right in front of me! You don't
> know how close the jerk came to being pulled through his car window and
> being badly bloodied.
> I see no harm in speeding under reasonable conditions but don't start me on
> running stop devices!

I agree with you up until the point that the profit motive causes the
yellow light duration to be shorted to increase the revenue, and
accidents and injuries caused by it be damned.

So bottom line - I think we would both agree that - yes - people should
drive safely, not run red lights, and not try to beat the red light, and
citizens need to watch their local goevernment in arranging these
sweetheart deals where the public interest takes a back seat to
generating funds and safety is actually decreased by corrupt individuals.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old January 25th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
billccm

I do not run red lights, and have not had a speeding ticket since 1989.
I do not want to be above the law.

However, I do flow with the traffic, and that means driving 42MPH in a
35MPH zone, and if on that particular day the city decides it needs
some revenue, and sets up a photoRADAR to catch all of us 7MPH over the
limit, I want to avoid being part of that tax.

Thanks for the replies,
Bill

Old January 25th 07, 06:20 PM
Stlouisx50 Stlouisx50 is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by billccm
[...]

I am an expert on these devices. They do and do not work to answer your question.

Do they work on cameras such as those on Loop 101? NO. This is because the cameras have a video back up of the violation. So the cameras can pick up your plate at one point before the blur out.

Do they work on "some other speed cameras and red light camears"? Yes, Some, all depends if these have the video back up as well. Some do and some don't.

Don't feel 100% protected if you do buy one. If you do get a ticket don't be supprised.

If you have any further questions, be sure to check out a great forum on these topics www.radardetector.net. We would love to see more members and guest on the forum.

Stlouisx50
Old January 26th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Budd Cochran

Just a question: if everyone is at or below the speed limit, how much money
do they make?

Budd

ups.com...

Old January 26th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dipstick

If everyone is at or below the speed limit, then the 'gummint' will do
a speed survey and reset the speed limit at the 50 or 60 or 70
percentile mark. Then they will make plenty from the faster 50 or 40 or
30%. Ain't it wonderful how that works?

Old January 26th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Budd Cochran

No, you misunderstood, if _NO ONE_ is speeding, how can they make any money?

So, if you don't want them to get any of your money, don't speed.

Simple logic.

Budd

ups.com...

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Osram Silverstar Not As Good As Sylvania SilverStar y_p_w Technology 21 June 8th 05 02:22 AM
Are there 'good' and 'bad' years when it comes to Explorers? [email protected] Ford Explorer 4 May 15th 05 12:23 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. Iwant to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow WindsorFox[SS] Ford Mustang 1 May 2nd 05 01:42 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good [email protected] BMW 0 April 21st 05 10:01 PM