92 Chrysler minivan ABS controller

Old January 19th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

Default 92 Chrysler minivan ABS controller

"Joe" > wrote in message

> "40kHeadmen" > wrote in message
> .76...
> >A little more background:
> >
> > I had ABS controller issues since 2000 (yellow ABS light on), but since
> > it didn't affect brake operation I left it alone (the cost issue

factored
> > in too...)
> >
> > Right now, the pump does not seem to be working (even after tapping),

and
> > the red 'brake' fault light is on at all times...
> >
> > Dealership report goes like this:
> > Check fault codes...clear & recheck
> > Modulator fault still present
> > Check for leaks...none found
> > Modulator fault test...defective cab module found.
> > Recommend replace then recheck.
> >
> > Where it's at right now...
> >
> > Regards,
> > Cal

> I agree with max. If you don't have any brakes, then you need to get the
> lifetime warranty coverage going. The controller is not going to make any
> difference.

There are 2 parts that are not covered that will get a stiff pedal, the
first will be the Dual Function Pressure switch and the other would be the
Accumulator, if the Accumulator goes out it will cause the pump to cycle
everytime the pedal is pressed. the switch will cause the pump to not turn
on

Old February 20th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
40kHeadmen

"maxpower" > wrote in
:

> There are 2 parts that are not covered that will get a stiff pedal,
> the first will be the Dual Function Pressure switch and the other
> would be the Accumulator, if the Accumulator goes out it will cause
> the pump to cycle everytime the pedal is pressed. the switch will
> cause the pump to not turn on

Update: problem has become intermittent...

Went to another dealership, they found a low accumulator fault code, but
couldn't get it to fault again after two days. Of course, once they
returned it to me, it faulted on the drive home...returned to dealership,
(same fault code) but they couldn't pin it down or get it to fault again
after a few days of trying...

Since then it's faulted once more...but fixed by turning on/off the
ignition switch until the ABS pump starts up. Also seems that the
problem occurs in stop&go heavy traffic where I'm riding the pedal a lot.
Other times there's no problem...

Sort of at a loss on what to do here...

Regards,
Cal
Old February 21st 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MT-2500[_162_]

Did you look up a five star dealer.
Did the dealer offer to fix it for you?
That thing is under a life time warranty as stated in upper post.
Get right on there case and or call the 800 customer service no in your
owners manual.
MT

--
MT-2500
MT-2500's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=382930

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old February 21st 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"40kHeadmen" > wrote in message
.76...
> "maxpower" > wrote in
> :
>
> > There are 2 parts that are not covered that will get a stiff pedal,
> > the first will be the Dual Function Pressure switch and the other
> > would be the Accumulator, if the Accumulator goes out it will cause
> > the pump to cycle everytime the pedal is pressed. the switch will
> > cause the pump to not turn on

> Update: problem has become intermittent...

Thats not good to have an intermittent Low accumulator fault because you are
loosen pressure and could possible loose all brake pressure

> Went to another dealership, they found a low accumulator fault code, but
> couldn't get it to fault again after two days. Of course, once they
> returned it to me, it faulted on the drive home...returned to dealership,
> (same fault code) but they couldn't pin it down or get it to fault again
> after a few days of trying...

Once again, A low accumulator fault is a pressure problem.More then likely
the pump is not kicking on.

> Since then it's faulted once more...but fixed by turning on/off the
> ignition switch until the ABS pump starts up. Also seems that the
> problem occurs in stop&go heavy traffic where I'm riding the pedal a lot.
> Other times there's no problem...

Of course it happens in stop and go driving because each time you hit the
brake pedal the pressure drops and the pump is supposed to kick back on when
the pressure drops to 1600 psi. The pump will kick on and turn off once the
pressure reaches 2000 psi. The pump is not turning on when it is supposed
to.If you get the lite to stay on and the pedal goes hard take a long
extension or pipe and tap on top of the ABS pump motor ( located just under
the throttle body on top of the transmission) and with the key on see if the
pump turns on. If it does, the pump is bad and will need replacing, (part or
the Bendix10 recall)

Old February 21st 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"MT-2500" > wrote in message

> Did you look up a five star dealer.
> Did the dealer offer to fix it for you?
> That thing is under a life time warranty as stated in upper post.
> Get right on there case and or call the 800 customer service no in your
> owners manual.
> MT

Not all true MT... A stopped up return filter, a worn out accumulator, a
faulty ABS relay or the Dual function pressure switch is not covered under
this recall and will cause the same problems as the OP is talking about. But
agreed that he should take it back to the dealer be it five star or not and
tell them it is NOT fixed and he wants it fixed NOW!!

Glenn

Old February 21st 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
MT-2500[_163_]

Call that 800 customer service no in the owners manual and tell them
what the dealers are pulling on you.
And then tell them you want it fixed on there dime.
It is under a lifetime recall so get on there case.

Old February 22nd 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
40kHeadmen

"maxpower" > wrote in
:

> I thought I told you that this module has nothing to do with your
> problem long ago before you replaced it??

Yep, but still replaced it since 1) it was faulty anyways and the 1st
dealership had this "do not pass go" attitude where they didn't want to
investigate further until it was replaced...

BTW, I talked to an independent repair shop today & they told me that the
ABS computer needs to be "programmed"...funny enough, it's not mentioned
anywhere in the Chilton manual. So forgive me if I take any information
with a grain of salt these days...

Regards,
Cal
Old February 22nd 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
40kHeadmen

"maxpower" > wrote in
:

>> Update: problem has become intermittent...

> Thats not good to have an intermittent Low accumulator fault because
> you are loosen pressure and could possible loose all brake pressure

Tell me about it!

> Once again, A low accumulator fault is a pressure problem.More then
> likely the pump is not kicking on.
> Of course it happens in stop and go driving because each time you hit
> the brake pedal the pressure drops and the pump is supposed to kick
> back on when the pressure drops to 1600 psi. The pump will kick on
> and turn off once the pressure reaches 2000 psi. The pump is not
> turning on when it is supposed to.If you get the lite to stay on and
> the pedal goes hard take a long extension or pipe and tap on top of
> the ABS pump motor ( located just under the throttle body on top of
> the transmission) and with the key on see if the pump turns on. If it
> does, the pump is bad and will need replacing, (part or
> the Bendix10 recall)

Today, it faulted after about half an hour of driving, stopped/restarted
a few times to see if the pump would turn on...it wouldn't. Tapping the
pump had no effect. Got back home (carefully!) and waited 3 hours, and
started the van up again...bingo...the pump turns on for almost a minute
and the fault lights go out...Temperature/overheating problem???

Regards,
Cal