Yet another coolant thread - Matrix Chart

Old November 2nd 05, 06:32 PM
Richard

Default Yet another coolant thread - Matrix Chart

Here is the environmental attorney in me. Phosphates are a nutriant for
plants. When it finds its way into our streams and lakes it promotes the
growth of water plant growth. This is often not a good thing since the rapid
unnatural growth of such plants can choke off the waterway and kill off
useful species of plants and fish.

Richard.

Old November 2nd 05, 07:54 PM
Steve

Given a choice between rotting away my iron engine block or being more
careful with used coolant, I'll take the phosphates and be careful.

Old November 2nd 05, 08:24 PM
Steve

Backing up to the fact that the chart shows Mopar G-05 as "phosphate
free" but not Zerex G-05....

For what its worth, Zerex's web page on their G-05 DOES claim its
phosphate free:

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=10

So I guess I'm back to asking myself whether Zerex G-05 is any damn good
for an iron-block engine or not. :-/

Old November 2nd 05, 11:16 PM

"Richard" > wrote in message
> Here is the environmental attorney in me. Phosphates are a nutriant for
> plants. When it finds its way into our streams and lakes it promotes the
> growth of water plant growth. This is often not a good thing since the

rapid
> unnatural growth of such plants can choke off the waterway and kill off
> useful species of plants and fish.

That is correct. It doesnt lead to foaming, as was previously suggested but
it
can support plant life, particularly algae.

Old November 2nd 05, 11:24 PM

"Steve" > wrote in message

> So I guess I'm back to asking myself whether Zerex G-05 is any damn good
> for an iron-block engine or not. :-/

I would not publicly knock any product unless I had personally tested it and
knew it was a POS.

When you have brass in the radiator, tin/lead solder, iron in the block,
aluminum
in various components, etc, it becomes very difficult to arrive at a
formulation
which will do everything well.

Some of the organic acid technology LOOKS good, during short tests, but may
fall short with time and exposure. It is not because the component is
consumed
necessarily. It may be because the nature of the corrosion mechanism
changes
as the system ages.

Old November 3rd 05, 03:53 AM
Bret Ludwig

The simple answer is obvious, buy ethylene glycol (or propylene
glycol) and DI water "straight up" and add your own additive package as
needed. Of course although a 55 galon drum of glycol is available, the
additive packs aren't.

Is there ONE coolant good for a Series 60 Detroit Diesel, a V-1710
Allison, a Honda Civic, a Ford Focus and a Isuzu powered Thermo-King
reefer unit?

Old November 3rd 05, 04:08 AM

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

>OAT sucks, and I'm sometimes a slow learner. It took me four head gaskets,
>two heater cores and four radiators, on six cars, before I got the hint
>and quit using Dex-Cool.

I've been using Dex-cool ever since stores started carrying Havoline
Extended Life and have never had problems. This is with a VW, Toyotas
(incl. a Nova), a Ford (Mazda engine), and a Honda. What did the
manufacturers of your cars do wrong?

Old November 3rd 05, 04:11 AM

Richard wrote:

>Here is the environmental attorney in me. Phosphates are a nutriant for
>plants. When it finds its way into our streams and lakes it promotes the
>growth of water plant growth.

How much phosphate is introduced into lakes and rivers from antifreeze?
My guess is much less than from laundry detergents.

How much pollution does each environmental attorney eliminate compared
to each environmental scientist?

Old November 3rd 05, 02:36 PM
Richard

How much pollution does each environmental attorney eliminate compared
to each environmental scientist?

Well, when I worked for government the environmental scientist would
identify a problem and a likely source, and the environmental attorney would
write the regulations, recommend the statutes and direct the collection of
evidence so that the source could be controlled. I never heard of
anti-freeze being identified as a significant source of phosphate pollution
in a water body or stream. Just don't drink the stuff.

Richard.