OEM vs After Market - wires & trans fluid

Old November 6th 09, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jaygreg

Default OEM vs After Market - wires & trans fluid

2000 Concorde LXI; 108K miles; well maintained

About to changes trans fluid this weekend. Buying Mopar Type 9602 plus
filter and sealant from a Chrysler dealer.

Told my mechanic friend. He thinks I'm foolish for paying the premium
rather than simply buying an after market Type 9602 fluid for
considerably less money. I haven't a good argument for doing so but
sure as hell would like one. Right now, all I can do is comment on the
fact Chrysler seems to have had a history of trans problems (my 1995
did too) and a lot of chatter focused upon fluid so.... I'm simply
playing it safe. However, it grates me that I can't be specific; just
what the hell 's in Mopar Type 9602 that someone elses 9602 doesn't
have?

Next week, it's ignition wires. I've got some time to gather opinions.
I'm close to a Summit Racing store so I thought I'd simply let them
recommend what to use. I'm open. If I should stick to Mopar, would
appreciate knowing reason why.
Old November 6th 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Josh S

In article
jaygreg > wrote:

> 2000 Concorde LXI; 108K miles; well maintained
>
> About to changes trans fluid this weekend. Buying Mopar Type 9602 plus
> filter and sealant from a Chrysler dealer.
>
> Told my mechanic friend. He thinks I'm foolish for paying the premium
> rather than simply buying an after market Type 9602 fluid for
> considerably less money. I haven't a good argument for doing so but
> sure as hell would like one. Right now, all I can do is comment on the
> fact Chrysler seems to have had a history of trans problems (my 1995
> did too) and a lot of chatter focused upon fluid so.... I'm simply
> playing it safe. However, it grates me that I can't be specific; just
> what the hell 's in Mopar Type 9602 that someone elses 9602 doesn't
> have?

From all I've heard I'd only use Chryslers fluid and filter.
I have and my '95 LH's transmission is still fine.
If you do it yourself you're saving up front anyway.

> Next week, it's ignition wires. I've got some time to gather opinions.
> I'm close to a Summit Racing store so I thought I'd simply let them
> recommend what to use. I'm open. If I should stick to Mopar, would
> appreciate knowing reason why.

Any good quality ignition wires is what I use.
-Chryslers electricity is standard ! <
Old November 7th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

jaygreg wrote:
> 2000 Concorde LXI; 108K miles; well maintained
>
> About to changes trans fluid this weekend. Buying Mopar Type 9602 plus
> filter and sealant from a Chrysler dealer.
>
> Told my mechanic friend. He thinks I'm foolish for paying the premium
> rather than simply buying an after market Type 9602 fluid for
> considerably less money. I haven't a good argument for doing so but
> sure as hell would like one. Right now, all I can do is comment on the
> fact Chrysler seems to have had a history of trans problems (my 1995
> did too) and a lot of chatter focused upon fluid so.... I'm simply
> playing it safe. However, it grates me that I can't be specific; just
> what the hell 's in Mopar Type 9602 that someone elses 9602 doesn't
> have?

I would at least use a major name brand licensed ATF+4 - IOW - *NOT*
Walmart's in-house Super-Tech brand. But that's just me. Technically,
anything that is licensed should be OK - I just draw the line at not
using low end brands.

> Next week, it's ignition wires. I've got some time to gather opinions.
> I'm close to a Summit Racing store so I thought I'd simply let them
> recommend what to use. I'm open. If I should stick to Mopar, would
> appreciate knowing reason why.

2nd gen. LH cars are coil-over plug - no ignition wires (other than the
low voltage input wires to fire the coils).

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old November 7th 09, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Josh S wrote:
> In article
> >,
> jaygreg > wrote:

>> Next week, it's ignition wires. I've got some time to gather opinions.
>> I'm close to a Summit Racing store so I thought I'd simply let them
>> recommend what to use. I'm open. If I should stick to Mopar, would
>> appreciate knowing reason why.

> Any good quality ignition wires is what I use.
> -Chryslers electricity is standard ! <

He has a 2nd gen. No ignition wires! He can take the money he
would have spent on those and put it to Mopar brand ATF+4!

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old November 7th 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Daniel Who Wants to Know[_1_]

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message

> I would at least use a major name brand licensed ATF+4 - IOW - *NOT*
> Walmart's in-house Super-Tech brand. But that's just me. Technically,
> anything that is licensed should be OK - I just draw the line at not using
> low end brands.
>

> --
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address
> with the letter 'x')

Correct as the Super Tech says ATF+4 on the front but only mentions 7176
(+3) on the back. The number 9602 is nowhere to be found on the bottle.

Old November 7th 09, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

Mopar ATF+4 is available at Wal-Mart

Old November 7th 09, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

rob wrote:

> "Bill Putney" > wrote in message

>> I would at least use a major name brand licensed ATF+4 - IOW - *NOT*
>> Walmart's in-house Super-Tech brand. But that's just me. Technically,
>> anything that is licensed should be OK - I just draw the line at not using
>> low end brands...

>> --
>> Bill Putney
>> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address
>> with the letter 'x')

> Mopar ATF+4 is available at Wal-Mart

Not everywhere. Have you checked your local store lately? I ask
because it *was* there a year or two ago, but then people started
posting on forums that it was disappearing - at least from some
WalMarts. I know it disappeared from the one where I am several months
ago.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old November 7th 09, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rob

hmmmm last time i changed it that's where i got it but yeah that was last
year. guess i'll have to check it out.

Old November 8th 09, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jaygreg

On Nov 6, 11:03*pm, "rob" > wrote:
> hmmmm *last time i changed it that's where i got it but yeah that was last
> year. *guess i'll have to check it out.
>
> "Bill Putney" > wrote in message

> > rob wrote:

> > > Mopar ATF+4 is available at Wal-Mart

> > Not everywhere. *Have you checked your local store lately? *I ask because
> > it *was* there a year or two ago, but then people started posting on
> > forums that it was disappearing - at least from some WalMarts. *I know it
> > disappeared from the one where I am several months ago.

> > --
> > Bill Putney
> > (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address
> > with the letter 'x')

Thanks for all the opinions men. I appreciate it. But I sure as hell
would like to know what's in Mopar Type 9602 that makes it different
from everyone else. I just got home after making the changing the
fluid and filter. I left my mechanic friend laughing as I heard him
tell me I have "an illness" for insisting I use only that fluid. I
bought 5 quarts 'cause the service manual said I'd need 4.5, Followed
the manual and after 5 quarts.... I just hit the add marker. I left
the car at my friend's and took one of his 'cause I can't get Mopar
'til Monday morning. Now I have to drive 25 miles back to his house to
finish filling the pan ... with 100% pure MOPAR.

Being a frugal guy - generally considered prone to thorough analysis
before making significant purchases or taking action that may increase
risk - it's out-of-character to simply accept this "requirement" and
not have an explanation. Hence... the horse laughter from my friend.
Doesn't set well with me!

Surely SOMEONE has a technical answer. Though someone said
"technically" it was OK to switch to a high quality brand, the
implication is... MOPAR is better. Why? What's in the stuff. And
exactly how do I know one brand is "higher quality" than another where
this Type 9602 stuff is concerned. Yeah I'm a little miffed. I'll get
over it. I'd like to tell this guy Monday "Laugh no more, Jack ass.
Here's why it's different." Or... hand him back his keys and admit I
made a mountain out of a mole hill; there is no difference.
Old November 8th 09, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

jaygreg wrote:
> On Nov 6, 11:03 pm, "rob" > wrote:
>> hmmmm last time i changed it that's where i got it but yeah that was last
>> year. guess i'll have to check it out.

>>> Not everywhere. Have you checked your local store lately? I ask because
>>> it *was* there a year or two ago, but then people started posting on
>>> forums that it was disappearing - at least from some WalMarts. I know it
>>> disappeared from the one where I am several months ago.
>>> --
>>> Bill Putney
>>> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my address
>>> with the letter 'x')

> Thanks for all the opinions men. I appreciate it. But I sure as hell
> would like to know what's in Mopar Type 9602 that makes it different
> from everyone else. I just got home after making the changing the
> fluid and filter. I left my mechanic friend laughing as I heard him
> tell me I have "an illness" for insisting I use only that fluid. I
> bought 5 quarts 'cause the service manual said I'd need 4.5, Followed
> the manual and after 5 quarts.... I just hit the add marker. I left
> the car at my friend's and took one of his 'cause I can't get Mopar
> 'til Monday morning. Now I have to drive 25 miles back to his house to
> finish filling the pan ... with 100% pure MOPAR.
>
> Being a frugal guy - generally considered prone to thorough analysis
> before making significant purchases or taking action that may increase
> risk - it's out-of-character to simply accept this "requirement" and
> not have an explanation. Hence... the horse laughter from my friend.
> Doesn't set well with me!
>
> Surely SOMEONE has a technical answer. Though someone said
> "technically" it was OK to switch to a high quality brand, the
> implication is... MOPAR is better. Why? What's in the stuff. And
> exactly how do I know one brand is "higher quality" than another where
> this Type 9602 stuff is concerned. Yeah I'm a little miffed. I'll get
> over it. I'd like to tell this guy Monday "Laugh no more, Jack ass.
> Here's why it's different." Or... hand him back his keys and admit I
> made a mountain out of a mole hill; there is no difference.

Tell him it's semi-synthetic and is way more stable than its predecessor
ATF+3. Also tell him that if he is one of those that has fallen for the
industry lie and puts Dexron 3 and an additive in Chrysler transmission
that are supposed to get ATF+4, he has likely destroyed some good
transmissions.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')

Trans fluid question Carl[_3_] Jeep 1 November 5th 06 05:11 AM
What is ATF + 4 Trans Fluid Cougar Technology 13 July 11th 06 11:06 PM
Trans Fluid Carl Ford Mustang 11 February 18th 06 06:26 PM
trans fluid bd Ford Mustang 1 November 17th 04 02:25 AM
"Power Steering Fluid" & Auto Trans Fluid - Interchangeable? maxpower Chrysler 2 October 11th 04 12:04 PM