1994 Caravan Starting troubles

Old January 13th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Sara Brown

Default 1994 Caravan Starting troubles

I have a 94 Caravan.. 3.0 engine..Automatic.... For like a month when
you go to start it you can hear the loud click of the starter solenoid
but other than that it does nothing..Sometimes it takes 1 or 2 or even
10 times before it starts..Other times it will start fine for a few
days...We have changed the starter/solenoid and it still does the same
thing..Also changed the heavier cable going directly from the battery
down to the bigger connection on the starter as that looked bad at one
end but didn`t change the smaller wire going to the solenoid..That
didn`t help either.... My tester says the battery is fine but it`s
only a 650 CCA one so maybe it`s to whimpy when it`s chilly?..Maybe
the relay? (I took one from an Eclipse which seemed the same but may
not be and that changed nothing)....My brother seems to think this
started soon after we changed the heater core and had the dash all
apart ..Any ideas where I should look?..Thanks a million!
Old January 13th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
jed

change your neutral safety switch on your transmission...

Old January 13th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Sara Brown" > wrote in message
> I have a 94 Caravan.. 3.0 engine..Automatic.... For like a month when
> you go to start it you can hear the loud click of the starter solenoid
> but other than that it does nothing..Sometimes it takes 1 or 2 or even
> 10 times before it starts..Other times it will start fine for a few
> days...We have changed the starter/solenoid and it still does the same
> thing..Also changed the heavier cable going directly from the battery
> down to the bigger connection on the starter as that looked bad at one
> end but didn`t change the smaller wire going to the solenoid..That
> didn`t help either.... My tester says the battery is fine but it`s
> only a 650 CCA one so maybe it`s to whimpy when it`s chilly?..Maybe
> the relay? (I took one from an Eclipse which seemed the same but may
> not be and that changed nothing)....My brother seems to think this
> started soon after we changed the heater core and had the dash all
> apart ..Any ideas where I should look?..Thanks a million!

Assuming the battery and cables are in good shape you probably need a
starter. It sounds as if the contacts for the solenoid are worn out and not
making good contact.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old January 14th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

maxpower wrote:
> "Sara Brown" > wrote in message
>> I have a 94 Caravan.. 3.0 engine..Automatic.... For like a month when
>> you go to start it you can hear the loud click of the starter solenoid
>> but other than that it does nothing..Sometimes it takes 1 or 2 or even
>> 10 times before it starts..Other times it will start fine for a few
>> days...We have changed the starter/solenoid and it still does the same
>> thing..Also changed the heavier cable going directly from the battery
>> down to the bigger connection on the starter as that looked bad at one
>> end but didn`t change the smaller wire going to the solenoid..That
>> didn`t help either.... My tester says the battery is fine but it`s
>> only a 650 CCA one so maybe it`s to whimpy when it`s chilly?..Maybe
>> the relay? (I took one from an Eclipse which seemed the same but may
>> not be and that changed nothing)....My brother seems to think this
>> started soon after we changed the heater core and had the dash all
>> apart ..Any ideas where I should look?..Thanks a million!

> Assuming the battery and cables are in good shape you probably need a
> starter. It sounds as if the contacts for the solenoid are worn out and not
> making good contact.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

They've already BTDT.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old January 14th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

jed wrote:
> change your neutral safety switch on your transmission...

They said they hear the solenoid click. If the neutral safety switch
were bad, the solenoid would not be activated when the key was turned,
would it?

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old January 14th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Sara Brown wrote:
> I have a 94 Caravan.. 3.0 engine..Automatic.... For like a month when
> you go to start it you can hear the loud click of the starter solenoid
> but other than that it does nothing..Sometimes it takes 1 or 2 or even
> 10 times before it starts..Other times it will start fine for a few
> days...We have changed the starter/solenoid and it still does the same
> thing..Also changed the heavier cable going directly from the battery
> down to the bigger connection on the starter as that looked bad at one
> end but didn`t change the smaller wire going to the solenoid..That
> didn`t help either.... My tester says the battery is fine but it`s
> only a 650 CCA one so maybe it`s to whimpy when it`s chilly?..Maybe
> the relay? (I took one from an Eclipse which seemed the same but may
> not be and that changed nothing)....My brother seems to think this
> started soon after we changed the heater core and had the dash all
> apart ..Any ideas where I should look?..Thanks a million!

You need someone to look at it that knows how to troubleshoot with a
multimeter. For example - they could see if the big red wire were
delivering voltage when the solenoid pulled in. If the solenoid is
pulling in, and you have voltage at the big red hot wire, then the
solenoid or starter motor are bad. Maybe you got a bad one?

Anyway - without some smart troubleshooting with a meter, you or whoever
else is looking at it is just wasting time and money.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old January 14th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Sara Brown

> You need someone to look at it that knows how to troubleshoot with a
> multimeter. *For example - they could see if the big red wire were
> delivering voltage when the solenoid pulled in. *If the solenoid is
> pulling in, and you have voltage at the big red hot wire, then the
> solenoid or starter motor are bad. *Maybe you got a bad one?
>
> Anyway - without some smart troubleshooting with a meter, you or whoever
> else is looking at it is just wasting time and money.

I have a good multi-meter and am pretty swift with it (Use to build
and repair linear amps for CBs)..Tell me where to put it and what to
look for and I`ll investigate..I took the old starter to Advance for
them to test tonight and when the guy there just had the larger hot
wire hanging loosely on the terminal it did the same thing (Clicked
but wouldn`t start) but once he pulled the wire tightly so it had a
solid contact it started 10 times in a row
Old January 14th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Sara Brown wrote:
>> You need someone to look at it that knows how to troubleshoot with a
>> multimeter. For example - they could see if the big red wire were
>> delivering voltage when the solenoid pulled in. If the solenoid is
>> pulling in, and you have voltage at the big red hot wire, then the
>> solenoid or starter motor are bad. Maybe you got a bad one?
>>
>> Anyway - without some smart troubleshooting with a meter, you or whoever
>> else is looking at it is just wasting time and money.
>>

> I have a good multi-meter and am pretty swift with it (Use to build
> and repair linear amps for CBs)..Tell me where to put it and what to
> look for and I`ll investigate..I took the old starter to Advance for
> them to test tonight and when the guy there just had the larger hot
> wire hanging loosely on the terminal it did the same thing (Clicked
> but wouldn`t start) but once he pulled the wire tightly so it had a
> solid contact it started 10 times in a row

Get a schematic and take it from there. If you don't have an FSM, sign
up for a subscription at www.alldata.com - $25. With the subscription,
you will have access to factory schematics right out of the FSM. You
need to trace out and verify the control circuits (volts) all the way to
the solenoid coil, and the power circuits (volts) - from the battery to
the starter - under load. If you know how to troubleshot circuits, it
should be a piece of cake for you.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old January 14th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Road Runner

Don't forget to check the ground circuit, especially the connection to the
engine\transmission.

Old January 14th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> maxpower wrote:
> > "Sara Brown" > wrote in message
> >> I have a 94 Caravan.. 3.0 engine..Automatic.... For like a month when
> >> you go to start it you can hear the loud click of the starter solenoid
> >> but other than that it does nothing..Sometimes it takes 1 or 2 or even
> >> 10 times before it starts..Other times it will start fine for a few
> >> days...We have changed the starter/solenoid and it still does the same
> >> thing..Also changed the heavier cable going directly from the battery
> >> down to the bigger connection on the starter as that looked bad at one
> >> end but didn`t change the smaller wire going to the solenoid..That
> >> didn`t help either.... My tester says the battery is fine but it`s
> >> only a 650 CCA one so maybe it`s to whimpy when it`s chilly?..Maybe
> >> the relay? (I took one from an Eclipse which seemed the same but may
> >> not be and that changed nothing)....My brother seems to think this
> >> started soon after we changed the heater core and had the dash all
> >> apart ..Any ideas where I should look?..Thanks a million!

> > Assuming the battery and cables are in good shape you probably need a
> > starter. It sounds as if the contacts for the solenoid are worn out and

not
> > making good contact.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> They've already BTDT.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

I tell ya, I better start reading before I post to these!!!