95 Caravan Transmission Problems

Old November 24th 05, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default 95 Caravan Transmission Problems

Ted that is a real good description. I appreciate that.

>My suspicions are on the rebuild itself. For starters, it really doesen't
>bode well that you wern't aware of the scheduled fluid change intervals - a competent
>rebuild shop should have made sure of this before you left. Also particularly with your
>specific trans, a rebuilder should have implemented TSB 21-15-95, changing the plastic
>accumulator to an aluminum one - if the manufacture date on the trans was between 9/1/94
>and 7/14/95 - because this is listed as a cause of this code.

>Do you know if yours did?

No, I have no idea if they implemented that or not.

>Also you have the code 38 which indicates other trouble that could be
>unrelated - or not.

>Also, did your rebuilder replace the selonoid body or is it on the original
>one that came with the transmission?

No idea.

>Faced with a choice between a fluid flush and dropping the money into a
>rebuild you are pretty much going to be forced into trying the fluid flush I think -
>but just don't get upset if it doesen't work.

>If it was my van I would absolutely try the flush and replace the filter - but of course, if it failed I'd only
>be out the money for the filter and fluid, since I would be doing my own labor.

>If you are mechanically able, you can do this yourself as well. Allpar has
>a good description of the process.

I am mechanically able. I was hoping there was something else I could
do.

Allpar? Is there a website that shows this process?

Mike

Old November 24th 05, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

mike wrote:

> I am mechanically able. I was hoping there was something else I could
> do.
>
> Allpar? Is there a website that shows this process?
>
> Mike

Find Google. Type, mechanically, "Allpar". Read first line.
Old November 24th 05, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

One more question. If i flush the trans and it goes back into limp mode
is there any way I can reset it myself?

Old November 24th 05, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"mike" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> One more question. If i flush the trans and it goes back into limp mode
> is there any way I can reset it myself?

Here's the flush link:

http://www.allpar.com/eek/atf.html

The trans computer resets itself when you turn off the vehicle. When you
turn on the vehicle the
trans computer goes through a set of diagnostics, and when you drive the
vehicle the trans computer
continues with diagnostics that run all the time. If the trans fails any of
those diagnostics it is
immediately put into limp mode by the computer.

Limp mode is designed to save the trans and parts inside of it from further
damage. A number of
people in the past have discovered tricks to keeping their trans from going
into limp mode - like
your O/D button push, and like stopping in traffic and turning the key off
then starting back up
again.

If your trans is going into limp mode due to a sensor malfunction, doing the
above tricks is
going to ruin it.

If the problem is a case like yours, and a fluid flush doesen't cure it,
then the trans is going to
have to be taken apart anyway to be fixed, and if you can get some further
life from it from
locking out O/D then you might as well go for it.

Who was it that did your rebuild?

Ted

Old November 25th 05, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

A shop here in Fort Worth, Tx. I could find them if I need to. The name
doesn't come to mind. Do you do trans work?

Old November 25th 05, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Old November 26th 05, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Si I only need to change the fluid/filter and adjust the low/reverse
band? The procedure says:

<snip>

Adjusting the low/reverse band is easy, you'll have to remove the
parking sprag pushrod (e-clip) to gain access, then loosen the locknut
with a 13mm open or box end or socket. The adjusting nut is a 6mm hex
(I think that's what I used at least), torque it down carefully to the
FSM spec then back it off the number of turns specified in the FSM. I
painted two stripes 180 degrees apart on my 1/4" to 3/8" adapter to see
when I'd gone 1/2 and one full turn.

Hold the adjusting hex when you tighten the locknut so it doesn't move.
Don't forget to put the parking sprag pushrod and e-clip back in!
Adjusting the kickdown band is also pretty easy, it's on top of the
case under the throttle cable. It uses an 18mm locknut and an 8mm hex
adjuster. Use an 18mm box end to loosen and tighten the locknut.

<snip>

Mike

Old November 26th 05, 10:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"mike" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Si I only need to change the fluid/filter and adjust the low/reverse
> band? The procedure says:

The 4 speed Ultradrive A604/41TE does not use bands. It uses clutches.
That is why you were given Clutch Volume Index readouts. The 3 speed
automatic that is fully mechanical is the one that uses bands. Your reading
the procedure for servicing the wrong transmission.

Ted

Old November 26th 05, 10:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"mike" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> A shop here in Fort Worth, Tx. I could find them if I need to. The name
> doesn't come to mind. Do you do trans work?

I was mainly wondering if it was a national chain like an Aamco or some
such,
as we have heard lots of problems with those ones.

I don't rebuild trans but I did recently do an R&R on one in my 94 T&C and
had someone else rebuild it.

Ted